Ships Nostalgia banner

Aulis (school)

26K views 40 replies 25 participants last post by  coxdenis32 
#1 · (Edited)
Top left - the wing for residential training. Bottom left - Instruction by a Senior Midshipman. Top right - Classroom study, the subject - Chartwork. Bottom right - The library for quiet study & reference.

Lifeboat Training School at Vittoria Dock, Birkenhead in which all eligible personnel were trained to become certificated Lifeboatmen. Top Right, the Seamanship School at Odyssey Works, Birkenhead, where all pre-sea training and training for EDH and AB certificates was undertaken for both Midshipmen and Deck Ratings. At noon each day at sea the Master, Officers and Senior Midshipman determined the ship's latitude by observation of the sun (No GPS here!)

Attachments

See less See more
#32 · (Edited)
I was reminded by the floor plan for Aulis, when I was there 1965/6 (went to see Dylan in the town with a mate who had a Lee Enfield Crusader Sports, second name Toombs, always called Sebastian after the Saint (?), the long corridor on the top floor was where we used to open the door and fling a Powerball (hard, high bounce rate) down the corridor as hard as we could, then shut the door and listen to it rattle up and down the corridor. A simple pleasure. That must have been when I was doing MAR (Mid apprenticeship release). I must have been there earlier as well, when I joined the company. I never got to Aberdovey (I really wanted to go), as they shipped me out fairly quickly. I can't imagine my very low skills was wanted for anything useful. I remember being interviewed, at the end Hutson, (I think), said "I can't say anything about your success with your application, but here is a set of Company buttons".

#35 ·
2019 Ocean Fleets Reunion for ex Nav and Eng cadets.

We will be holding the 2019 Ocean Fleets Reunion for ex Nav and Eng Cadets on 17-19 May 2019 in Portishead near Bristol. Some of the time will be spent in the old Bristol Port, on SS Great Britain and the Balmoral as well as a few drinking dens of course. The main event Saturday night will be at the H&W pub situated on Portishead Marina. (the pub is made out of shipping containers).
Anyone interested in joining us, then please contact me or Allan James on this site or via Facebook / Messenger / Whatsapp etc. All welcome.

#37 ·
Hi Sylvester, & GoGo. Good to hear from you. I'm ex Ocean Fleets... Nav Officer. Started at Aulis in 74 and left as 2/O in 83. I was one of the oganisers of the recent Ocean Trading and Transport Reunion in Bristol. Around 45 turned up to enjoy the weekend together. Age raging from 70 to late 50s.
Are you aware of the Blue Funnel, Elder Dempster and Ocean Tading Facebook pages. Lots of members on all of these. 1300 or more on the Blue Flue site. My email address is "ross.hopwood@breaze.se" if you want more info on what is going on. We are investigating setting up a membership society to embrace all ex OTT staff ...work in progress . They are quite a few members on the Facebook sites from Malaysia and Singapore already. If you need help with the Facebook sites, let me know. Lots and lots of old photos there as well. All the best, Ross

#39 ·
Some of you may be interested to learn that Colin Busby, who was in charge of Aulis for a while (and one of the finest Chief Engineers I sailed under) has just celebrated his 79th birthday.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.