Eurochem Shipping - Page 2 - Ships Nostalgia
00:58

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Eurochem Shipping

User Tag List

Old 1st December 2012, 14:23
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Navigation
Active: 1962 - 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamH View Post
I sailed on the Chemical Venturer 24/1/75 to mid July 75 . The only names I can remember are Marcus Gunn (Never heard of him being referred to as Max), Marcus was relieved by Bargee Botham. There were two 1st mates while was there, one was Hector Connell the other ones name was Roberts, I think.The 2nd Eng was Jimmy Douthwaite, hard I try I can't remember any other names but I see their faces. I enjoyed my time on the vessel, it had a great run Medi, East coast USA, Virgin Isles, East coast South America, back to Medi. While I received a pre joining briefing in Glasgow from supt. Yeats, he handed me a list as long as my arm of items to be surveyed, I asked "oh is
It the beginning of the survey cycle". "No" he replied "it,s got six months to the end of the cycle". Some introduction to Denholms.
I reckon you must have been with Max Gunn shortly before he went ashore. Bargee Botham did quite a few tours on those vessels as did Brian (I think) Robson. Jim Edgar did a few tours on them also around that time.
Hector Connell was on them for a number of years. The guy you mention - Roberts - yes I think that's correct but I'm damned if I can remember his first name (Bill - maybe).
I don't know what happened to Jan Kyzinski another regular C/O around 1973 / 1974. He was on the "Explorer" (I think), when she lost both pumpmen in a gassing accident in one of the pumprooms - No.3, I think. I believe the incident effected him quite badly.
You'll probably remember either Jimmy Prentice or Phil Milne - regular Chief Stewards on those ships - and probably the best Denholm had, - I reckon.
Other Chengs apart from Eddie Bandeen, were Dougie Saunders, and Howard Rhodes. (Mustn't forget his wife Nora - she was very nice)
I enjoyed my time on them also, (C/O) - they certainly kept the brain cells working overtime - which was good - a very interesting time -so far as my seafaring days were concerned.
I just loved pulling those cargo pumps to pieces, and putting them back together again, - but hell, the amount of Devcon we used was way beyond a joke.
Brian Yates was a pretty good superintendent - easy to get on with - I thought.
Jimmie Douthwaite - rings a bell - I sailed with him I'm sure, and also Adrian Goodwin and Peter Hann.
However they, (The ships) took their toll on you - it was hard and demanding work, particularly on the US coast. (Houston/ Texas City/ Beaumont/Nola area)
They were Chemical Tankers, but they weren't, if you know what I mean. They wouldn't pass as that today, - that's for sure.
Built for B.P. as product carriers and sold from the yard before commissioning - if my memory serves me correctly.
Had they kept them as product carriers, (as built) - they'd have been great ships.
Good feeders ships though, - the curries were terrific.
In the main, a great bunch of guys - I recall.
Old 1st December 2012, 21:02

Bound to be a good feeder if Jimmy Prentice was on board!
Jimmy Douthwaite was Chief and I second on a Troll boat, he Sunderland fan and me a Liverpool.
I hated Saturdays! One day we had a blazing row! Pool beat Sunderland 5-0 or there abouts.
Some of those mates, oh dear!!

regards

Malky
Old 1st December 2012, 21:28
Active: 1968 - 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman 80 View Post
Hmm yes those boilers could be relied on to play up always at the worst possible times.

Brian French was in command at the time - he was not amused with the Naples Fire Brigade's actions at all - " but when in Rome you have to do what the Romans do "
Economiser completely destroyed.

How are you keeping these days ?
Well - I hope.
I'm keeping fine thanks.
Retired from Bernard Schulte this last summer and enjoying every minute of it.

After Denholms I worked various flag Chemmy tankers and ended up in Maersk where Marine Super turned out to be Hugh Davies (ex Denholms Master)
Then followed him to Dorchester Maritime (later Bernard Schulte) finally ending up on LNG.
Old 1st December 2012, 23:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Brown View Post
I'm keeping fine thanks.
Retired from Bernard Schulte this last summer and enjoying every minute of it.

After Denholms I worked various flag Chemmy tankers and ended up in Maersk where Marine Super turned out to be Hugh Davies (ex Denholms Master)
Then followed him to Dorchester Maritime (later Bernard Schulte) finally ending up on LNG.
That's great news Ian. I don't think we sailed together though.
You mentioned Hugh Davies - Good Lord I'd forgotten all about him.
Sailed with him once, quite briefly, but can't remember which ship - another top guy, but he left Denholm after I sailed with him. (or maybe I just relieved him after a lenghty handover, - we sometimes had them in those days.) He said he and his wife had decided to open a restaurant somewhere.
Hell of a decent bloke - so he was, - but so many were.
P.S. - I rather like your " sailing boat " - childhood dreams perhaps ?
They sure are significant - are they not.

Edit:- On second thoughts - delete "maybe I just relieved him, etc etc - " - no it wasn't that - for sure. It was likely an OBO - I suspect.
Old 1st December 2012, 23:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malky Glaister View Post
Jimmy Douthwaite was Chief and I second on a Troll boat, he Sunderland fan and me a Liverpool.
I hated Saturdays! One day we had a blazing row! Pool beat Sunderland 5-0 or there abouts.

regards

Malky
Jimmy Prentice - well absolutely, you are "right on the button" there.
Phil Milne, was much the same - and very very active. Great sense of humour as well (ex Bibby's).
Old 5th December 2012, 17:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malky Glaister View Post

regards

Malky
Yer, your right about Jimmy being a Sunderland supporter and me being a Newcastle fan, you can imagine banter. On the Glenpark we were anchored of Skida for 6 weeks so every Sunday morning we had a football game down no4 hold, my team against his, those games were not for the faint hearted.
Old 6th December 2012, 22:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman 80 View Post
Jimmy Prentice - well absolutely, you are "right on the button" there.
Phil Milne, was much the same - and very very active. Great sense of humour as well (ex Bibby's).
Anyone know anything about Jimmy Prentice.I sailed with him on the Champion in 64 Areal nice guy.
Old 7th December 2012, 19:50
Department: Engineering
Active: 1970 - 1984

Regrettably Jimmy Prentice passed away last year from cancer. He was one of the best guys you could hope to meet. Sadly missed.
Old 7th December 2012, 20:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougie01 View Post
Regrettably Jimmy Prentice passed away last year from cancer. He was one of the best guys you could hope to meet. Sadly missed.
Passed away - that's sad news.
" One of the Best Guys" - well that is certainly true, and Denholm had more than their fair share of them.
Old 7th December 2012, 21:13

I once asked Jimmy Prentice about beef a la mode and how do you get the carrots in the joint! 10 secs later I knew. A fantastic bloke. One of the finest.

regards

Malky