Naess Shipping - Ships Nostalgia
05:12

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Naess Shipping

User Tag List

Old 25th May 2014, 16:01

Naess Shipping

SHIPPING - Today and Yesterday.
Issue No, 292
JUNE, 2014

Excellent 6 page feature in SHIPPING by Norman Middlemiss.

Good backdown of Erling Naess and his activities as a young man and then in banking and shipping and owner. Of course includes the activites of Naess with management of some of the fleet within J&J Denholm.

Several good quality photographs from FotoFlite especially images of NAESS PIONEER, NAESS CHAMPION, NAESS TRADER, NAESS ENDEAVOUR, NAESS TEXAS and NAESS PARKGATE.

A few questions. The text says that NAESS SOVERIGN wasthe third largest vessel in the world and biggest under British flag... but was under Flag of Convenience and registered in Hamilton, Bermuda.

I always thought that both SOVEREIGN and COMPANION were registered London and that CHAMPION was the largest vessel in the world. (Even in the text CHAMPION was 90,626 dwt b. 1962 and SOVEREIGN was 90,309 and b. 1961.)

Stephen
Old 25th May 2014, 18:36

When built in 1961 NAESS SOVEREIGN was the largest ship under the British flag(the Bermuda flag was regarded as British)the largest ship in the World at the time was UNIVERSE APOLLO
Old 25th May 2014, 19:03

My location
Was apprentice on the Naess Cavalier 1964-1965 for a 15 month stint.
Erling D. and son ( or grandson) did a trip from Norfolk down to Panama and the son was given over to us for the 5 days. Taught him the pumproom , soundings and stripping tanks etc .as we still had some ballast in her.
Not sure who that was anymore but he must be ages with me ( 67).!
Old 25th May 2014, 20:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Cassels View Post
Was apprentice on the Naess Cavalier 1964-1965 for a 15 month stint.
Erling D. and son ( or grandson) did a trip from Norfolk down to Panama and the son was given over to us for the 5 days. Taught him the pumproom , soundings and stripping tanks etc .as we still had some ballast in her.
Not sure who that was anymore but he must be ages with me ( 67).!

Grew up seeing the NAESS flag every time I went past South Shore road. His office at Nautilus House... still there... had two great builders models at the entrance... ASTRID NAESS and a fantastic one of NAESS PIONEER.

He had a young son... well back then... name Freddie. My sister went out with him once. Damn... I could have joined the family!

I still have a copy of his book... ERLING NAESS - Autography of a Shipping Man. Inscribed : Steve with best regards and best wishes, Erling.

On the PIONEER, R.R. Kinder once called me... "Nephew of Uncle Elliott Naess"!

Good ship. Good memories... special people.

Stephen
Old 25th May 2014, 20:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.D.FROST View Post
When built in 1961 NAESS SOVEREIGN was the largest ship under the British flag(the Bermuda flag was regarded as British)the largest ship in the World at the time was UNIVERSE APOLLO
Thanks. Never knew Hamilton port of registry. I wonder if she switched to London?

Stephen
Old 7th August 2014, 17:08
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Navigation
Active: 1967 - 1979

Naess Sovereign

I was on the "Sovereign" in 1969 and she was then under the British flag and registered in London.
I heard that later she became the "Burma Zircon" under the Liberian flag.
Good crowd on her( Indian Crew) and I enjoyed myself on her.
Old 18th April 2015, 18:38

Naess name relaunched

Seems that the Naess name is still alive and well. Two new vessels with owner having some loose contact with the original Naess family. Naess Absolute and Naess Resolute , bulk carriers built 2013/14 under the Marshall Islands flag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen J. Card View Post
Issue No, 292
JUNE, 2014

Good backdown of Erling Naess and his activities as a young man and then in banking and shipping and owner. Of course includes the activites of Naess with management of some of the fleet within J&J Denholm.

Several good quality photographs from FotoFlite especially images of NAESS PIONEER, NAESS CHAMPION, NAESS TRADER, NAESS ENDEAVOUR, NAESS TEXAS and NAESS PARKGATE.

A few questions. The text says that NAESS SOVERIGN wasthe third largest vessel in the world and biggest under British flag... but was under Flag of Convenience and registered in Hamilton, Bermuda.

I always thought that both SOVEREIGN and COMPANION were registered London and that CHAMPION was the largest vessel in the world. (Even in the text CHAMPION was 90,626 dwt b. 1962 and SOVEREIGN was 90,309 and b. 1961.)

Stephen
Old 19th April 2015, 05:55
Department: Deck
Active: 1958 - Present

My location
Quote:
Issue No, 292
JUNE, 2014

Stephen
Erling Naess had a nephew, Arne, who was on a Board of Directors with myself back in the eighties. He had his own fleet of bulkers and investments in oil rigs. In shipping circles there was a light-hearted warning to count your fingers after shaking Arne's hand and from what I saw at times, I tend to agree with them.

For a while he was married to Diana Ross, was an avid mountaineer and fell to his death on Mount Everest in 2004.
Old 20th April 2015, 16:49

Quote:
Issue No, 292
JUNE, 2014

Stephen
The Sovereign was built in 1962 and was under the British flag until 1974 when she became the Burmah Zircon of Liberia. She was scrapped in 1977. I met the Champion in dry dock in Japan in 1968 while I was on the Gallic Bridge and the following year was seven months on the Sovereign
Old 20th April 2015, 17:53

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus Murray View Post
Seems that the Naess name is still alive and well. Two new vessels with owner having some loose contact with the original Naess family. Naess Absolute and Naess Resolute , bulk carriers built 2013/14 under the Marshall Islands flag.
Presently off the Australian West & East coasts respectively

http://goo.gl/psgP1d

http://goo.gl/dzehMg
Old 20th April 2015, 20:08

Hi,
We had a close encounter with the Naess Tern when we arrived back in the river Mersey on the 12-13 March 1964, My ship was the P.S.N.Co., Santander, I was her Chippy, and we had anchored in the river with a smouldering fish-meal fire in No. 3 hold. Just as the tugs were about to move us into the docks, I was heaving up our anchor when an AB ran past me in the dark and shouted that the Naess Tern was about to collide with us. she struck us right in the starboard bow under our name. In that moment our anchor was clear of the bottom so I rushed into the forecastle to sound our forepeak for leaks, as I looked at all the wreckage I could see out through the hole in the bow, and saw the lights of her after accommodation closing fast as she swung clear. I thought she was going to hit us again but she cleared and headed on her way. A good way to end a South American voyage !
Regards,
Robin.
Old 20th April 2015, 21:32

I was on the champion in 1964 & she was registered in london I was on her when she ran aground of Jebal Dhanna we crossed the pacific to ferndale & san pedro sent divers down to assess the damage then recrossed the pacific to Kure to replace the bottom of the forepeak cofferdam & 1 2 & 3 cargo tanks
Old 21st April 2015, 08:00

Quote:
Issue No, 292
JUNE, 2014

Stephen
Mr. Naess's life is most interesting. When I started with Denholm's I was told that he had been chartering out ships years before they were built, then using these charters as security for loans to build them.! Quite a trick if you can swing it!
Old 22nd April 2015, 06:13

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Bis View Post
Mr. Naess's life is most interesting. When I started with Denholm's I was told that he had been chartering out ships years before they were built, then using these charters as security for loans to build them.! Quite a trick if you can swing it!
It was known as creative Norwegian ship financing and if well contrived could result in up to 110% financing on a ship with little or nothing down. In the good old days of high interest rates there were some wonderful permutations using a combination of clipped US Treasuries, Danish Ship Mortgage bonds and arbitrage.
Old 22nd April 2015, 07:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keltic Star View Post
It was known as creative Norwegian ship financing and if well contrived could result in up to 110% financing on a ship with little or nothing down. In the good old days of high interest rates there were some wonderful permutations using a combination of clipped US Treasuries, Danish Ship Mortgage bonds and arbitrage.
Sort of shipping "buy to rent"!
Old 23rd April 2015, 05:46

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Bis View Post
Sort of shipping "buy to rent"!
Even better at times, between 1982 and 1986, the Italian government was giving 86% subsidies on the contract price of an Italian built ship provided you had her registered in Italy with a full Italian crew for 5 years.
Old 23rd April 2015, 13:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keltic Star View Post
Even better at times, between 1982 and 1986, the Italian government was giving 86% subsidies on the contract price of an Italian built ship provided you had her registered in Italy with a full Italian crew for 5 years.
I believe that the "Globtic London" and the "Globtic Tokyo" had similar financial assistance from the U.K. government in the 70's. Not sure if it was a much as that though!
Old 23rd April 2015, 17:20
Varley Varley is offline   SN Supporter
Active: 1971 - 2011

There was some per bottom in service aid package that rolled on. Providing the first ship was replaced the loan did not have to be repaid. I think something like this applied to some of the Atlantic Bulker pool. Any experts to knock this into its proper shape?
Old 17th September 2015, 03:46

Wink

Greetings

I was an apprentice on Naess Scotsman in 1966, fine ship!

I attach an image of myself and some officers ashore drinking, what looks like Cuba libre's. Cannot recall names of the officers, one of whom I think is Radio Officer, but perhaps some can recognise
Attached Images
File Type: jpg OfficersUnknown.jpg (244.7 KB, 122 views)
Old 17th September 2015, 11:03
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1961 - 1994

My location
The guy in the centre with the white shirt looks to have had quite a few look at his eyes!
Old 17th September 2015, 11:48
Varley Varley is offline   SN Supporter
Active: 1971 - 2011

And therefore your choice for the Radio Officer????
Old 17th September 2015, 15:09

Naess Scotsman

Ian
Second left (on your right) is Stuart Mackay (Millport), later Master on OIL (Ocean Inchcape) AHTS vessels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconer View Post
Greetings

I was an apprentice on Naess Scotsman in 1966, fine ship!

I attach an image of myself and some officers ashore drinking, what looks like Cuba libre's. Cannot recall names of the officers, one of whom I think is Radio Officer, but perhaps some can recognise
Old 17th September 2015, 16:20

naess scotsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus Murray View Post
Ian
Second left (on your right) is Stuart Mackay (Millport), later Master on OIL (Ocean Inchcape) AHTS vessels.
Could the officer on the extreme left be 2nd Mate Peter Shaw. He was with me on the Naess Pioneer the following year 1967
Donald Murray
Old 17th September 2015, 17:28

Naess

Naess Sovereign was definitely registered in London, when built she was the largest ship ever to be built in Japan, then the Champion took that title. I sailed on her for a year and three days from early 1967, masters Rhodes and Maine? C/O Feltham & Gunn, 2nd mates Donald Urquart & other names I remember were Tony Airey, Hazlett McMahon. On joining the Mobil Endurance in 1974 and sailing past Port Arthur in Texas I was surprised to see the Naess Trader (I sailed first trip 3/0 in 1966 on her)being conferted into a oil drill ship! Also sailed on Naess Spirit(lovely ship with major engine problems), Naess Endeavour and finally the Neass Viking, my last trip with Denholms.
George Porteous
Old 17th September 2015, 17:28
Active: 1968 - 2015

Yes, that looks like Peter Shaw. He was 2/O on the Arisaig when I joined in 68.