Longest voyage? - Ships Nostalgia
17:23

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Longest voyage?

User Tag List

Old 4th July 2018, 19:21
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1970 - 1984

Longest voyage?

During a recent conversation with Stephen Card here, he posted this extract from the Denholm News about our time on the Scotspark.
Our voyages took longer because Suez was closed at that time.
Does anyone know the longest, Port to Port, voyage during the closure of Suez?

Denholm News.
SCOTSPARK arrived Geelong 14th January (1972) and loaded a cargo of grain for Alexandria where she completed on 11th March. It was planned to bunker at Augusta, load spares and effect officer reliefs but in this event, although the vessel, industrial action prevented bunkering and it was necessary to proceed Gibraltar for refuelling. The vessel then proceeded once more to Australia completed loading at Geelong on 19th May and is presently due in Alexandria on 2nd June.

14th January to the 11th March is 57 days at sea, 8 weeks and 1 day. Jim.
Old 4th July 2018, 22:03

Knock at least 2 and half weeks. Loading Geelong was about a week and discharge at Alexandria took another week. So, voyage time about six weeks sea time... 42 days. The outbound voyage Shields to Geelong was also 6 weeks.

I don't remember it being a 'long time'. My longest time in port was 12 weeks... Piraeus at anchor in Sevona Team. Now THAT was good time ashore!

Stephen
Old 5th July 2018, 02:57

From Hay Point, Australia, to Rotterdam was 77 days at sea slow steaming on Sir Alexander Glen followed by another 11 days at anchor before discharge
Old 5th July 2018, 07:02
Department: Deck
Active: 1967 - 1982

On Ocean’s bulker “Hector” loaded in Bahia Blanca, Argentina, for Yokohama, Japan. Was asked by Master to prepare two routes, one via Cape Horn, one via Cape of Good Hope. Difference was twenty five miles.
Took the route around SA. Distance approx 10,200 miles if I remember at 9 knots slow steaming most of the way. 40 odd days at sea.
Old 5th July 2018, 07:24
Department: Engineering
Active: 1978 - 1990

My longest non-stop (apart from breakdowns!) was Gladstone in Queensland to Tarragona in Southern Spain, slow steaming, via Cape of Good Hope.
Old 5th July 2018, 22:30

Longest voyages

mv Ozarda.
Colombo to Avonmouth , 43 days via Cape, late 60s
Old 5th July 2018, 22:53
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1965 - 1986

My location
Did a slow steaming run from Port Hedland to Dunkerque in 1973 on what was the worst ship I ever sailed on, and made Buries Markes a dirty phrase in my vocabulary ever since.

Took 42 days and after Dunkerque paid off at drydock in Falmouth.

Possibly soured by the fact I was pretty much shanghaied onto that ship in the first place. A two week relieving trip that turned into six months of 'how to become a psycho' time. I still go into pointy teeth and big hand gun mode every time I think about the Old Man on that ship.

Makes me think how bad it was 45 years after the event.

Makes me feel kind of sad about that too.
Old 6th July 2018, 02:35

My longest was on the Trevose wheat from Mackay Queensland around the top end to Cape Town then Tilbury, run out of food and water two days out from Cape Town, the Steward found two dead Rabbits under the duckboards in the freezer, the cook made a stew that made most of us sick, never eaten rabbit since. Longest time at sea the British Builder twelve months trip eleven days ashore.
Tugger
Old 6th July 2018, 07:51

Perhaps some one could rename this thread 'longest sea passage' as yonks ago in my days 'longest voyage' meant time you were away from home. My longest voyage was 22 months on a green hulled ship with a red and white flag on a green funnel, guess who! fortunately it was a very happy ship with a good skipper who cared about his crew.

A happy ship in more ways than one as I met a girl two days before we sailed on that voyage we corresponded all the time, letters eventually catching up with vessel sometimes 3 months later, no mobiles in those days, she eventually became my wife, we had 27 years honeymoon together before the 'C' claimed her at a fairly young age.
Old 6th July 2018, 09:22
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1958 - 2007

46 days Durban to San Antonio Chile, Lutetian.
Old 7th July 2018, 08:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaman38 View Post
Perhaps some one could rename this thread 'longest sea passage' as yonks ago in my days 'longest voyage' meant time you were away from home. My longest voyage was 22 months

You are thinking time should be 'Time on Articles'.... Singing On Day to Sign Off Day! 'Voyage' means from Port to Port. Might even be called voyage from Port A to Port Z... with two dozen or more ports in between, loading/discharging but it is the official 'voyage'.

Can't use the term 'voyage' because you could be spend your whole 22 months sitting alongside and no go any further!

Longest time 'on board'... that would be better and I'll guess that there have a lot of member done lots of 'two year' trips!

Stephen
Old 7th July 2018, 08:56

Ah! Stephen

I take on board your grammatical points, but I was only referring to what we called it in the 50's. Yep! I know there were lots of others who did 2 year trips, circa 60 were on the same ship! and many others on ships with green hulls on similar trips, then there was Chapmans and Bank Line. I enjoyed the uncertainty of tramping, even though my heart was aching on that trip, I sailed with men at times who had been on 'Liner Runs' such as South Africa, ECSA, Medi, etc who had been at sea 40 years plus and had never been thro the Suez or Panama, the latter a wonder in itself. I served my time with a Liner Company, in those days it was a dead-mans shoes promotion route, but although the ports and girls were fantastic I wanted to see the wider world. I may have been a tramp man but my shoes were always polished

Last edited by seaman38; 7th July 2018 at 08:59..
Old 7th July 2018, 09:27
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1958 - 2007

Quote:
Ah! Stephen

I take on board your grammatical points, but I was only referring to what we called it in the 50's. Yep! I know there were lots of others who did 2 year trips, circa 60 were on the same ship! and many others on ships with green hulls on similar trips, then there was Chapmans and Bank Line. I enjoyed the uncertainty of tramping, even though my heart was aching on that trip, I sailed with men at times who had been on 'Liner Runs' such as South Africa, ECSA, Medi, etc who had been at sea 40 years plus and had never been thro the Suez or Panama, the latter a wonder in itself. I served my time with a Liner Company, in those days it was a dead-mans shoes promotion route, but although the ports and girls were fantastic I wanted to see the wider world. I may have been a tramp man but my shoes were always polished
Old 7th July 2018, 10:42

Bangkok to Rotterdam via the Cape with a cargo of Tapioca, M V Kohinur, 1971,
42 days. No breakdowns and engines stopped for 6 minutes only at Capetown for mail/film change and stores.

Dave
Old 7th July 2018, 12:52
Active: 1954 - 1981

middlesbough to bombay round the cape.at 10 knots seemed for ever
Old 7th July 2018, 13:26

70 days. Lisbon to Ras Tannurah and then to Le Havre. Could have done it better apart from the fact of the stern seal was leaking down of Madagascar so we went back to the Gulf, lightered 200,000 tonnes into a Norwegian tanker RADNEY. Left 50,000 on board in fwd tanks to get the stern tube out of the water, did the repair and then reloaded... and had some 8,000 tonne more than we started with. The RADNY couldn't prime their pumps. They used seawater to prime the pumps... and over did a bit. Then all the way back to to le Havre.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NORDIC CLANSMAN d.jpg (98.3 KB, 98 views)
File Type: jpg NORDIC CLANSMAN e.jpg (152.4 KB, 79 views)
Old 7th July 2018, 19:36
Active: 1943 - 1951

Members are confusing voyages with passages. A voyage is the time spent on Articles. A passage is the time spent between ports.
Old 7th July 2018, 20:01

Quote:
I served my time with a Liner Company, in those days it was a dead-mans shoes promotion route, but although the ports and girls were fantastic I wanted to see the wider world. I may have been a tramp man but my shoes were always polished

Yes, I made a mistake to do one brief period on a 'Liner Company'. I went back to tramping and also kept the shoes polished and kept 'spare' a bit of gold lace.... just in case. ;-)
Old 7th July 2018, 20:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAN M View Post
Members are confusing voyages with passages. A voyage is the time spent on Articles. A passage is the time spent between ports.

Depends. On Articles yes, as in Voyage Clauses with in regard to employment of the seaman and the period he is on board. But we can also have Voyage Charters and also as in Time Charters and time on between passages is a part of the voyage.

On thing for sure, if you are on short passages then you are likely to be on a short voyage.... and on a Home Trade. If you for the long passages then you are for a 24 month stint.

Most of us would probably say a Voyage from: From Port A in ballast to Port B to load for discharge in Port C. That would be say, Voyage No. 1, with two passages included.

Last edited by Stephen J. Card; 7th July 2018 at 20:10..
Old 7th July 2018, 22:31

I once had a trip around the world.
Old 8th July 2018, 10:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen J. Card View Post
Depends. On Articles yes, as in Voyage Clauses with in regard to employment of the seaman and the period he is on board. But we can also have Voyage Charters and also as in Time Charters and time on between passages is a part of the voyage.

Hmmm! technicalities!! Voyage Charters and Time Charters have little to do with 'Time on Articles' they are trading terms only.

You can sign on a vessel, sail from London to New York with a general cargo, the vessel arrives in New York after a satisfactory Voyage Charter on a FIOS basis, the shippers/receivers are satisfied with her performance and decide to Time Charter said vessel for a period to supplement their own fleet on a regular trade. The crew apart from Master.Ch.Off, Ch Eng, and 2/E are unaware of these commercial proceedings as it does not affect their terms of employment under the 24 months Articles signed, the aforementioned four need to know as they need to prepare the vessel for 'On-Hire and Bunkers Remaining' surveys.

As an ex GM and Mar Supt for a Middle East Shipping company for four years, running a fleet of 22 vessels at any one time and having chartered well in excess of 100 vessels, I do hope I got it right. It was the usual procedure we followed when Time Chartering ships in, unless we'd had previous vessels from the owners and knew their worth, the crews didn't change.

I decided to come home after that four years in M.E. having spent four years already living in Pakistan, because the first words my twins said apart from Mama and papa was 'camel' and not cat or dog
Old 8th July 2018, 12:13
Varley Varley is online now   SN Supporter
Active: 1971 - 2011

This doesn't really count as a Denholm story as it was my last trip before getting back to the Diamond D after a 'gap' three years between leaving Stonehaven and joining Asialiner (and then, still, a Marconi man).

Not only the longest time on articles but also the longest time with no port. Conoco Europe traded between an SBM off Libya to offloading tankers in the Mexican Gulf. 5 months and 26 days. The only time I got off was to visit another company ship. Looked at the data logger, unable to help. Had lunch. Back to A8NT.

Last edited by Varley; 9th July 2018 at 00:38..
Old 8th July 2018, 13:50

Quote:
Hmmm! technicalities!! Voyage Charters and Time Charters have little to do with 'Time on Articles' they are trading terms only.

)

Quite right, but as far as we are talking about 'voyages' and 'passages' all they mean the same for 'longest voyage or longest passage'. Every ship will have some kind of Voyage Number and that length of that voyage might be one passage or multiple passages or none at all!

Example, say a freezer vessel running from UK to NZ. Voyage 1 will be the outbound voyage and several passages. When the ship is loaded and ready to sail (or steam or motor) it will called Voyage 2. As far as the bridge etc it will be Voyage 1 and Voyage 2. As far as the crew are interested in completing the Voyage... and the Articles are closed... end of voyage. The next outbound will be called Voyage 3 etc.
Old 8th July 2018, 14:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen J. Card View Post
Quite right, but as far as we are talking about 'voyages' and 'passages' all they mean the same for 'longest voyage or longest passage'. Every ship will have some kind of Voyage Number and that length of that voyage might be one passage or multiple passages or none at all!

Example, say a freezer vessel running from UK to NZ. Voyage 1 will be the outbound voyage and several passages. When the ship is loaded and ready to sail (or steam or motor) it will called Voyage 2. As far as the bridge etc it will be Voyage 1 and Voyage 2. As far as the crew are interested in completing the Voyage... and the Articles are closed... end of voyage. The next outbound will be called Voyage 3 etc.
Okay Stephen, you can have the last word, we are just going round in circles here, and not even circumnavigating. I do understand the difference twixt voyages and passages. From my initial post and thereafter I was merely relating my experiences, not interested in point scoring! either by wordsmith or technicalities
Old 8th July 2018, 14:35
Active: 1965 - 1986

My location
Come on guys you're arguing semantics here.

The point of the thread was what was you're longest run at sea without port of call. Long 'trips' on a particular ship are another thing, (and I might add, changing articles quite often happened to me during a a duty, and they always got you to sign the new articles before off signed off the old, but how is that not sensible ?) so I got two discharges in my book for one trip.

None of this is important, I'm still thinking of this thread as the longest time you spent at sea between ports. And I suspect none of us will get near what those lads back in the sailing ship days did.