Passenger/cargo vessels to SouthAfrica - Ships Nostalgia
17:44

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Passenger/cargo vessels to SouthAfrica

User Tag List

Old 19th May 2012, 16:20

Passenger/cargo vessels to SouthAfrica

Forgive the ignorance of a land based engineer (except for RNLI service). The vessel in question is the Union Castle's 'Kildonan Castle' and the year is 1930 but the questions may be generic.

When loading cargo/passengers I presume that the cargo loading would be completed before any passengers were embarked and that passengers would be taken on board just before sailing to save feeding them any longer than necessary. Is this correct?

Passenger names were entered on the passenger list in the order that they arrived for embarkation, because they are not alphabetical, with the first class passengers on a seperate list. Presumably seperate lists for 2nd and 3rd class. Is this correct?

If passengers names were consecutive on the list would this mean that they were allocated adjacent cabins?

Would 1st. class passengers have used a different gangway/entry port to the other passengers? Thanks.
Old 9th May 2019, 12:49

kildonan castle

a few images the colour is a poster in my study the last is her at the breakers
Attached Images
File Type: jpg KILDONAN CASTLE.jpg (89.6 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg kildonan-castle.jpg (126.9 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg kildonan castle breakers stavanger norway.jpg (174.9 KB, 5 views)
Old 13th March 2020, 14:55

passengers or cargo first

i am currently reading a 2 volume book from magazines - shipping wonders of the world - volume 1 by clarence winchester - and pages 217 - 222 - title - a great ship sails - answers the question you pose - and it goes into great detail in preparing a liner for a sea voyage - it might be of interest to you
Attached Images
File Type: jpg shipping wonders of the world (1).jpg (153.1 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg shipping wonders of the world (2).jpg (106.9 KB, 9 views)
Old 13th March 2020, 15:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Se Dog View Post
i am currently reading a 2 volume book from magazines - shipping wonders of the world - volume 1 by clarence winchester - and pages 217 - 222 - title - a great ship sails - answers the question you pose - and it goes into great detail in preparing a liner for a sea voyage - it might be of interest to you
One of the best ever books! I read when I was a youngster. It was a 'reference' book at the Library and the Librarian allowed me to take it home... for two weeks at a time. About 35 years ago I saw them for sale in a small book shop off St Martin's Lane. The price was 110. I asked if was it was per book for the set... the set was 110. I had it my hands for less than a minute! About 20 years ago I saw another and was very cheap so I bought it, a bit 'tired' so I passed it on to a friend. It is an excellent reference piece.

Stephen