Ships Nostalgia banner

Hector Hambley

6K views 22 replies 8 participants last post by  Wilkie 
#1 ·
I am looking for help in finding any information about the above man who was my uncle and sailed for Shaw Savill as a chief Engineer. It would be nice to find out about his sea time and may be the vessels he sailed on. Its going back a bit as I thing he finished in the late 60's. I hope somebody can help me with this search.

#2 ·
Hector Hambley Shaw Savill

Hi David
I sailed with your uncle on a short trip aboard MV Iberic June- July 1969. We went from the Blackwater River Essex to drydock in Rotterdam and then to London. I seem to recall he had a passion for repairing old clocks. I hope this may help you in your quest.
Regards
Bill Morrison

#3 ·
Hector

Hi David

Have sent you the history of your uncle' career with Shaw Savill, to your email ~ did not want post it here but you can if you wish.
Perhaps you can respond to the last sentence regarding the demise of Hector.
Cheers Jamie, Shaw Savill Society, NZ Branch
info comes from Shaw Savill archives in UK Branch of the Society

#7 ·
Hello David,

His medal file is held at Kew in piece BT 395/1/39542

The main file you would want to get hold of is his CRS 10 (service record from Jan,1941). As he was still serving in 1969 his file should be in BT 382/2422 Series II

The file in my previous post will be his seaman's pouch. That file and the CRS 10 in BT 382 are best obtained by visit to Kew or get someone to copy on your behalf - not the easiest or cheapest to get online. The medal file can be downloaded to your computer for £3.36.

Regards
Hugh

#8 ·
David Hambley

David, I sailed with your uncle on the Iberic
He was a brilliant Chief engineer and a real star at deck golf. Seen here just ready to hole out in a Doubles game.
Left to right:-
Dave Knight Engineer cadet,Alec Beggs Chief Freezer, Hector Hambley Chief Engineer, Colin Broomfield 2nd Freezer, John Donegan 2nd Engineer, ? Chief Officer, Ian Wilkinson 4th Engineer. Somewhere in the Atlantic New Zealand bound via Panama late 60s.

Attachments

#9 ·
Fantastic photo

He was a brilliant Chief engineer and a real star at deck golf. Seen here just ready to hole out in a Doubles game.
Dave Knight Engineer cadet,Alec Beggs Chief Freezer, Hector Hambley Chief Engineer, Colin Broomfield 2nd Freezer, John Donegan 2nd Engineer, ? Chief Officer, Ian Wilkinson 4th Engineer. Somewhere in the Atlantic New Zealand bound via Panama late 60s.
This photo clearly illustrates life with SSA on a tropical afternoon on the long trans pacific crossing. Thanks for posting

#12 ·
I remember my father telling me he went to see him with his uncle, in Holyhead in mid fifties. He helped my father get a job, and he then sailed on Runic a couple of trips.
Hi Wilkie
Could have been 1969 as Dave Knight was on board when I was along with Dave Hopkins. I have met up with both of them over the years in New Zealand.
Cheers - Dick Mogridge
Hi Dick,
great to hear from you often wondered what happened to the two Dave’s, Knight and Hopkins, a great pair of lads. Am I to believe that you all live in N Z then ?
I finished my career
As Superintendent engineer for a company operating several AHTS vessels mainly operating in Brazil, South Africa And Tunisia. I managed to get to most areas of the globe including China, Japan, Indonesia, the States, Argentina and the Falklands.
unfortunately I never made it back to Kiwi which I would have loved to do. Where are you based and did you stay in the industry?
Best regards
Wilkie.

#13 ·
Hi Wilkie I have just come cross your reply and not sure why i didn't see it before. Yes, both Dave's married Kiwi girls although I do know Dave Hopkins is on Mark II. I tried to find Dave Knight a while ago on Facebook etc as one of the guys on this blog was keen to contact him, but no joy. He worked for Atlas Copco for many years. He and Dave Hopkins kept in touch for many years but no longer. I caught up with Dave Hopkins a few years ago and am in touch and as he lives in Christchurch hope to do so when when we head to the South Island. Dave H worked for Hamilton Jet, the jetboat manufacturers. I live just north of Auckland now after retiring fully last April. I stayed at sea for 20 years then went into a small ship repair company for three years before ending up as a Technical Super for a NZ company which operated between NZ and Aussie then after P&O Nedlloyd took them over I moved to a NZ tug & barge company and had some great project jobs with them. Certainly couldn't complain about how thongs turned out. Oh yes, I married a Kiwi schoolteacher like many of the guys. I often think of the SSA days with John Donegan, yourself, Bobby Pollock etc. Some great days. Do you know what happened with Stan (1st Lecky) and Mick Wilson as I know they were also from Hull. Cheers - Dick Mogridge

#14 ·
Hi Dick,
Thanks for the update, very interesting. You followed the same career path as me finishing up as technical super. I would do it all again if I could go back in time, wouldn’t dream of starting a career in the industry as it is today. Safe to say we certainly had the best time to be at sea with time in port and big crowds to complete our own maintenance. Work hard and play hard.
Stan is still with us but he’s across the Humber bridge in S****horpe, about 20 miles away.
The last time I saw him was early last year when we met up at a funeral of a mutual friend. He’s not well though and is still suffering from the problem that caused him to be flown home on that double header trip.
Mick Wilson carried on for a couple of years in Cairn line before joining P&O ferries as Chief here in Hull. I believe that he moved up the coast to Bridlington but I never hear from him. If you get the chance, please remember me to the Dave’s. My email is

ianwilkinson51@gmail.com

All the best Dick
Wilkie

#15 ·
David Hambley

Hi Dick,
Thanks for the update, very interesting. You followed the same career path as me finishing up as technical super. I would do it all again if I could go back in time, wouldn’t dream of starting a career in the industry as it is today. Safe to say we certainly had the best time to be at sea with time in port and big crowds to complete our own maintenance. Work hard and play hard.
Stan is still with us but he’s across the Humber bridge in S****horpe, about 20 miles away.
The last time I saw him was early last year when we met up at a funeral of a mutual friend. He’s not well though and is still suffering from the problem that caused him to be flown home on that double header trip.
Mick Wilson carried on for a couple of years in Cairn line before joining P&O ferries as Chief here in Hull. I believe that he moved up the coast to Bridlington but I never hear from him. If you get the chance, please remember me to the Dave’s. My email is

ianwilkinson51@gmail.com

All the best Dick
Wilkie
Hi Wilkie

Thanks for yours and the information. Couldn't agree more with your comment on how we were at sea at the best time. I did sail on container ships with Swires after I left SSA with a few hours in port, during which time there was maintenance, and only the occasional run ashore. No fun in that! I then went onto the NZ coast with a small cement company as we had kids by then and that was good with 4 weeks on/4 weeks off. Couldn't believe my luck at the time!

Every time I drive through Te Kuiti I think of 'Hey Jude' (the song) and of course the other Jude!

I will certainly pass your email address to Dave Hopkins and if we ever find him to Dave Knight. Dave H thought he had moved to Tauranga but cannot find him.

Cheers - Dick

#17 ·
I remember her well although not as well as you!

I don't recall Stan being paid off so I may not have been on board at the time. I did a double header on Iberic during which 'Jimmy the Mattress' (2nd Lecky) was paid off in the USA with a serious burn on his calf muscle when he fell asleep with a ciggy going.

I joined Iberic in 1969 in the Blackwater before going across to drydock in Rotterdam. I think we then loaded in London before doing a 'quick' 3 month trip to NZ and back before going back out to NZ which was a longer trip. Not sure when you left Iberic but I carried on, got my sea time them did my 2nd's Part A after which I went back to Iberic as 4th Engr. I did my 2nd's Part B in London and then Part A & B Chief's in Auckland in 1979 after I had left SSA and joined Swires.

Cheers - Dick

#18 ·
Hi again Dick,
Yes I remember Jimmy the mattress being paid off with the burn, I think that was probably from Montreal.
It was definitely on the second visit to Kiwi on that double header that Stan was hospitalised and subsequently paid off and flown home. I only did the one double header on the Iberic the same trip as you.I was also there in the Blackwater. I left the Iberic at the end of the double header somewhere around November 71. Went for part A in Hull got married in Feb 72 Stan was best man. I then joined Ellerman Wilson line of Hull. A vessel called the Hero she was a little Ro Ro running between Hull / Grimsby / Harwich to Esbjerg. She was a terrible sea ship-running on MDO but there was no settling tank, you had to purify from the double bottoms directly into the service tank. Not ideal as in really bad weather all sorts of crap would get thrown up into the suction filters. On several occasions we lost a generator and blacked out before the standby set started up and put herself on the board. About 6 or 7 months after I joined her, she was lost on the North Sea after losing the main engine in bad weather whilst homeward bound for Hull. I was on leave at the time and decided the leave should become permanent !!
Cheers Wilkie

#19 ·
Hi again Dick,
Yes I remember Jimmy the mattress being paid off with the burn, I think that was probably from Montreal.
It was definitely on the second visit to Kiwi on that double header that Stan was hospitalised and subsequently paid off and flown home. I only did the one double header on the Iberic the same trip as you.I was also there in the Blackwater. I left the Iberic at the end of the double header somewhere around November 71. Went for part A in Hull got married in Feb 72 Stan was best man. I then joined Ellerman Wilson line of Hull. A vessel called the Hero she was a little Ro Ro running between Hull / Grimsby / Harwich to Esbjerg. She was a terrible sea ship-running on MDO but there was no settling tank, you had to purify from the double bottoms directly into the service tank. Not ideal as in really bad weather all sorts of crap would get thrown up into the suction filters. On several occasions we lost a generator and blacked out before the standby set started up and put herself on the board. About 6 or 7 months after I joined her, she was lost on the North Sea after losing the main engine in bad weather whilst homeward bound for Hull. I was on leave at the time and decided the leave should become permanent !!
Cheers Wilkie
Hi Wilkie

Thanks for your reply. I must have been on Iberic when Stan was paid off but can't recall that. I do remember being in Montreal on a different trip and not knowing if we would be turning right when we came out of the St Lawrence river or straight ahead. It turned out to be straight ahead to Liverpool!

The double header was a big one as I recall as we went right to the top of the Mediterranean to Beirut before meandering through the Meddy ports. Just checked my discharge book which has me singing on January 1971 and paying off November 1971, which sounds right.

Not sure if you remember going out for dinner with the agent in Beirut? Some of the boys got stuck into the Arrack at the table then and buying a big bottle at the local bottle store - plus a bottle of water. Moby the lecky was one and Steve Mutch, the chippy was another. I remember the bus coming to a sharp stop when the agent was let off, the rear right door slid open and Steve Mutch did a head plant on the road. Next morning he looked in he mirror and couldn't figure out where all of the cuts and grazes had come from!

I sent you details to Dave Hopkins who was away on holiday at the time. He said he will definitely be in touch.

Cheers - Dick

#21 ·
Hi Dick,
Don’t know if you’ve seen the pic attached,
It was put on the Shaw Savill site a while ago by Lenny Michaels.
cheers
Wilkie
Hi Wilkie

Many thanks for that - and no I hadn't seen it. Jeez we were good looking! That would have been my first trip and in NZ. I am not on the SSA Facebook site but will have to do so.

Any ideas on where it was taken and who the girl was? I don't think she belonged to me.

Not sure if you know but Lenny became a BV surveyor in Aussie rising to Sydney station manager. I caught up with him when he surveyed a vessel for us in Aussie (in Newcastle I think). No doubt retired now. I recall he wore jandals in the ER when on watch as was a rough as guts (typical Aussie) but obviously did well.

Cheers - Dick