Search for Capt. H. Pratt - Ships Nostalgia
02:15

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Search for Capt. H. Pratt

User Tag List

Old 15th February 2009, 20:38

Search for Capt. H. Pratt

The subject Capt. Pratt was with L & H in the 1950's.
Some years ago I was given a log book which he used at that time and a recent office clearout unearthed this piece of personal artefact and because of the nature of its contents I believe it should be returned to him, or, if deceased, his family.
There is a bookmark inside the front cover giving his private address in Heswall, Cheshire (full details withheld pending response to this thread).
If anybody could throw some light on the good captain I would be most gratefull.

Dennis K. Pollard
Old 15th February 2009, 21:21

Dennis,

I have looked in our local telephone book for the Wirral and at present there is no mention of an H. Pratt in the Heswall area or indeed on the Wirral. It may be that he has passed on or moved.

I am afriad Captain Pratt was not with L+H when I joined.

It might be worth your while in writing to either the Wirral News or Wirral Globe or both, which are our local newspaper publications and seek their help which I am sure they will give, the addresses are as follows :-

Wirral News
Wirral News Newsdesk - 76 Hamilton Street, Birkenhead, Wirral, CH41 5AN
Tel: 0151 647 7111
E Mail -- [email protected]

Wirral Globe
Wirral Globe
Haymarket Court
Hinson St, Birkenhead, CH41 5BX
0151 906 3000

Kind regards and good luck,

Chris.
Old 15th February 2009, 21:25
user

My location
Nice reply Chris ... well done Sir
Old 15th February 2009, 21:28

Thanks Mark,

I found some relatives in Canada by seeking the help of the local press in Halifax, Nova Scotia and hopefully it may work in this case. It is possible that his relatives still live in or around Heswall. Hope so anyway.

Chris.
Old 25th February 2009, 21:41

Search for Capt. H.Pratt

Thanks Chris for your valued efforts.
I will try an approach to the local press as you suggest - just hope it goes further than the rather 'frosty' reaction I got from the Liverpool Echo some years ago when I dropped into their offices whilst on a rare visit to the port to sample the Mersey Ferry tour around the port complex (fond memories of going through Gladstone dock in my Blue Flu days).
The possibility of a Canadian connection I will leave until I have had something from the Wirral papers.
The only other thought I had was if he took a L & H company pension on retirement there should be a record of his status. Do you have any info. regarding how that company 's pensioners are dealt with i.e. probably via an administration coy. or insurance outfit ?
I did check with the current admin. people who deal with the old M.N.O.P.F.
but they confirmed there was no one by that name in the records.
Finally, the M.N Association suggest an approach to the Blue Funnel Line since there was historicaly a Holt family connection.
If all fails I will offer this peice of artefact to the Merseyside Maritime Museum - unless of course L & H have their own museum !
Old 25th February 2009, 23:16
Active: 1954 - 1981

captain pratt

one of the same name was with bolton s/s co 1960/s from that reigion i belive
Old 8th November 2013, 21:27

Dennis K. Pollard

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiachapman View Post
one of the same name was with bolton s/s co 1960/s from that reigion i belive
After emailing you via S/N I picked up your comment regarding Capt. Pratt's possible move to Bolton S.S.Co. - will persue further - Thanks
Old 19th November 2013, 16:19

Could be worth trying www.bluestarline.org and try their extensive forum. Glyn.
Old 28th March 2017, 21:54
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1973 - 1983

L&H Pension

Regarding Captain H. Pratt, it is possible he had a company pension, which could have come under the Vestey umbrella of Western Union Group Pension (WUGP), which has recently been wound up and taken over by Rothesay Life Pensions.
I know the organiser of the yearly BSL reunions of mainly sea staff could not get a list of list of former staff from the WUGP to inform them of the reunions due to the Data Protection Act.
But it is still worth a try. The BSL website (Log Book, read forum) , though very extensive is not too well supported these days, since it went down several years ago.
I will put a post up for you see if anything happens.
I was with BSL for 10 years sailed on the maiden voyage of the Benedict (Booth Line) and coasted the Belloc (SD14) just before she was sold to Croatia, one of the last off the ship in Hull.
Old 29th March 2017, 00:42
Organisation: Merchant Navy

My location
Seeking people

I have posted this before:

In the past, I have had some success in finding people I wished to contact, or their families in the case of deceased persons.
A title search, to see if they were property owners, in which case there will be a trail. Council rates notices can also help. You'd probably have to pay a fee, but if the UK is the same as here in OZ, all Real Estate agents have online access to these records, so find a friendly agent - there are one or two!
Second, a search through local newspaper archives for Obituary Notices, (I have recently found the family of an old shipmate through these, in NZ) and an email to a few agents over there, produced four replies and addresses of family members resulted, which are in the public domain, so not confidential. A brief letter to a couple of daughters (the notices gave married names), worked wonders.

Good luck,

Taff