Ships Nostalgia banner

Kirkella h7

5K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  Aberdonian 
#1 ·
Seen approaching Tower Bridge on the 23rd April 2019 before going down river to Greenwich for her official naming ceremony.
Flag: British
PoR: Hull
Built: 2018
Grt: 3976
IMO: 9808405

Attachments

See less See more
#6 · (Edited)
Hi! just wonder what this MARRS vessel is?? By her name a fishing vessel, but what kind???
I go back to 1972-4 and the design of stern trawlers by the likes built in Beverly and Hessel, for the various Hull Fishing vessel owners.
I WOULD BE INTERESTED TO SEE the hull lines on this new ;KIRKELLA, is she a bottom fisher, middle depth fisher, or a seign netter, or drifter?? Or can she fish on or in any fishing grounds on a wordwide basis-Gone ore the days of fishing grounds in the -White sea, nowegian waters, icelandic waters, greenland, newfoundland and the canadian Artic.
Is the vessel a purpose built fisheries research/ geological survey vessel.
Back to my original question, Kirkella looks a bit box like, and i suspect a 'pig' in a heavy swell. Any facts??? the image does not convey that of a vessel deep by the stern and a bodyline without a straight plate, capable of working in a seaway without power being applied to the prop [Or propulsion units?]
Even in the 70's the factory ships out of Hull, and the two stern wet fishers had a more of a look of a working platform in a heavy seaway for the fishing industry.

#7 ·
#6 Very difficult these days to depict a vessels function by its shape, a lot of vessels look like they've stepped out of the pages of a 'Dan Dare' comic. When I see trawlers leaving Brixham they are completely different to the low freeboard sidewinders I sailed on out of Hull in the 50's. Some are so short with high freeboards look like they've been made from a pipeline. Don't see any Gallows or 'A' Frame at the stern for bringing in gear, so she (can I say she) may well have a research function

#12 ·
your again ring bells from my past in the shipping industry, and the fishing industry?? I believe there was in the period prior to 70,s 80,s a regisistered fishing company with london as it registered port! I am not sure if the company traded out fished out of London in distant waters or just the north sea??
Maybe someone may remember???. I not sure if the company ships traded out of Fleetwood??

#17 ·
Thanks for that, certainly different to my first trawler 1914 built, 140 ton, sidewinder 'Swanland' (H402). Automatic freezer facilities, I was the automatic freezer below in the battened down hold chopping the crystallised iced which had solidified due to wave action on passage to Icelandic fishing grounds, think it may have been romantic ??? than H7 (==D)

#18 ·
In Aberdeen trawlers the “Ice Cracker” deckhand customarily received a small gratuity from the skipper.
I remember my father passing a 10 shilling note to his bro-in-law for undertaking this task.

As an aside, according to his son, my uncle Wullie died of heart failure in 1947 in the Viking Pioneer when off Man Island, Iceland.
He had gone directly down the ice room from a heated fo’c’sle

Keith

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.