MV Pacific Ocean, Loch Long - Ships Nostalgia
15:54

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
Log in
User Name Password

MV Pacific Ocean, Loch Long

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 21st November 2005, 22:32
douglasjamesmichael douglasjamesmichael is offline  
Senior Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 661
MV Pacific Ocean, Loch Long

I was pleased to see the Pacific Ocean - in her Tirfing colours - I joined her in 1975 at Brest France when she had just been taken over by Denholm Ship management of Glasgow. As the Loch Long I spent 6 months onboard as an Engineering Officer.
After joining, we sailed for Montevideo and Bahia Blanca, returning to Rotterdam. We went back to Bahia Blanca then back to Helsingborg Sweden discharged then proceeded to Drydock in Gothenberg. After Drydock we proceeded to Esbjerg Denmark loading Chicken ( Frozen), then to Rotterdam, more chicken, then to Le Harve, more chicken, Brest frozen food various. Upon completion of loading we proceeded to Alexandria through the Suez Canal to Jeddah for the first discharge, then round to Gulf for discharge at Muscat I was relieved at Dubia.
During the voyages we had several mechanical problems.....
The Main Engine was an 8 Cyl Gotaverken Diesel - the Gensets were powered by Bergen Diesels



The bottom end in No1 Cylinder seized and came through the side casing of the engine demolishing No1 gen set.



routine servicing included Liner Changes, Genset overhauls, Pump Overhauls, centrifuge overhauls.



When Denholm's took her over she had seen service on Tirfing ( Brostrom) Pacific Ocean Service along with her sister ship White Ocean - Citrus fruit from Florida to Japan, down to Australia for red eye steaks for the USA.



I have a lot of photos of this voyage....
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 2nd March 2006, 22:26
Orcadian Orcadian is offline  
Senior Member
Organisation: Port Authorities
Department: Deck
Active: 1973 - Present
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 207
I joined the ship at the same time in Brest along with Duncan cant remember his second name from greenock we were both deck cadets. Guy called Chris Jackson joind when ray heeps paid of.
I poaid of in Dubai up the gulf as well. I dont recall your name. Bob and brenda were on board with their boy. Irish lass was third engineers wife air lingus stewardess i think. Three wive paid of pregnant that trip she was the first one then Brenda the Dave westcott wife. Great trip and good food on the way out to the gulf.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 30th December 2010, 23:25
Malky Glaister Malky Glaister is offline  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 854
Denholms took this vessel over in Newark late 1974. I joined as third engineer. Chief Jimmy Halbert and JCE Davy Bisset. He went Chief and I 2nd when Halbert left. We sailed to Montreal via Boston with frozen beef on board. The Brostrom freezer chap came with us. First ever freezer cargo for the company was citrus from Bahia Blanca for Gothenburg in March 1975. It was a Johnstone line cargo. WE had to open all hatches at 0700 for inspection. This took place at around 10 am. Bollockings all round as the top hold temp was well below freezing point. Being me I pointed out that the air temp was about minus 5. Red Swedes faces, smirks from the Brits and my last ever freezer boat trip. B****stds

happy new year to all
Malky
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 31st December 2010, 10:40
Stephen J. Card's Avatar
Stephen J. Card Stephen J. Card is offline  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 9,064
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malky Glaister View Post
Denholms took this vessel over in Newark late 1974. I joined as third engineer. Chief Jimmy Halbert and JCE Davy Bisset. He went Chief and I 2nd when Halbert left. We sailed to Montreal via Boston with frozen beef on board. The Brostrom freezer chap came with us. First ever freezer cargo for the company was citrus from Bahia Blanca for Gothenburg in March 1975. It was a Johnstone line cargo. WE had to open all hatches at 0700 for inspection. This took place at around 10 am. Bollockings all round as the top hold temp was well below freezing point. Being me I pointed out that the air temp was about minus 5. Red Swedes faces, smirks from the Brits and my last ever freezer boat trip. B****stds

happy new year to all
Malky

Yes, Happy New Year!

Roger Mackrell would have been Mate on her then I think? He then stood by LOCH LOMOND at Chas Connells and I joined as 2nd Mate a couple of weeks before trials. The next 5 years were pretty damn good. I did get sent off for one stint in WELLPARK. I'd take a load of citrus any time over pig iron!

Stephen
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 2nd January 2011, 09:03
Malky Glaister Malky Glaister is offline  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 854
Roger was the mate. I have a lot of photos some place. Xmas was in Vera Cruz with no AC. No one looking forward to the first freezer cargo. The AC could not be run!. Eventually got it sorted and all went well but you can inagine what all and sundry were thinking! On the loaded voyage back to Gothenburg the camshaft drive chain snapped. That was long job with a lot of head scratching. Still it was also fixed and we got underway after quite a while.
I visited the Lomond whilst she was fitting out and was impressed but O got moved away from the freezers and onto the tankers and OBO's.
regards Malky
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 2nd January 2011, 11:08
Stephen J. Card's Avatar
Stephen J. Card Stephen J. Card is offline  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 9,064
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malky Glaister View Post
Roger was the mate. I have a lot of photos some place. Xmas was in Vera Cruz with no AC. No one looking forward to the first freezer cargo. The AC could not be run!. Eventually got it sorted and all went well but you can inagine what all and sundry were thinking! On the loaded voyage back to Gothenburg the camshaft drive chain snapped. That was long job with a lot of head scratching. Still it was also fixed and we got underway after quite a while.
I visited the Lomond whilst she was fitting out and was impressed but O got moved away from the freezers and onto the tankers and OBO's.
regards Malky

Malky,

Pls post the photos some day.

Too bad you didn't stay with the 'Reefer Division'. I came to them from the tankers and OBO's and never regretted it... even managed to keep Grade 1 salary scale!

A few years later I was sitting at Helen Barr's desk, picking up joining letters etc for the MAREE. Frank McNeilage walked by... he was looking for a mate to go out to the MUIRFIELD. He looked at me and said, "You have OBO experience, don't you?". I quickly replied, "No!"... and even managed to keep a straight face.

Do you remember our first C/E on the LOMOND, Mr C. O'Doulou?

Stephen
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 2nd January 2011, 12:13
Malky Glaister Malky Glaister is offline  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 854
I'll have alook for the pics.
George Christadolou (?). Did he not jump ship somewhere? You got lucky missing out Muirfield thats for sure!
regards Malky
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 2nd January 2011, 13:33
Stephen J. Card's Avatar
Stephen J. Card Stephen J. Card is offline  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 9,064
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malky Glaister View Post
I'll have alook for the pics.
George Christadolou (?). Did he not jump ship somewhere? You got lucky missing out Muirfield thats for sure!
regards Malky


I think George ended up with Kaiser Shipyards in the US.

His favourite quote.... one of many...

"Mr Christian! Flog that man!"
" But he's dead, Captain Bligh!"
"Then flog his 'effin' gear!"




Told to me my Donald Ross when he was Mate on some vessel and George was C/E.

Sitting at the top table in the saloon. Donald (ex RAF Regiment) was wearing the Cyprus Star on his blue uniform. George asked him what the medal was.

"Cyprus Star. I fought in Cyprus."

George says, "Aye. I've got one as well... from the other bloody side!"


Stephen
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 21st January 2011, 10:02
xdenholm xdenholm is offline  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcadian View Post
I joined the ship at the same time in Brest along with Duncan cant remember his second name from greenock we were both deck cadets. Guy called Chris Jackson joind when ray heeps paid of.
I poaid of in Dubai up the gulf as well. I dont recall your name. Bob and brenda were on board with their boy. Irish lass was third engineers wife air lingus stewardess i think. Three wive paid of pregnant that trip she was the first one then Brenda the Dave westcott wife. Great trip and good food on the way out to the gulf.
did Dave Westcott not also sail on lomond/maree as 3rd engineer??was he a wee guy with a beard ? the name rings a bell,
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 21st January 2011, 12:30
muldonaich muldonaich is offline  
Senior Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1960 - 1990
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,405
dave westcott was 2nd mate brgds kev.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 22nd January 2011, 19:34
xdenholm xdenholm is offline  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by muldonaich View Post
dave westcott was 2nd mate brgds kev.
cheers kev , must be a different dave .atb
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 12th April 2011, 13:02
douglasjamesmichael douglasjamesmichael is offline  
Senior Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 661
[QUOTE=Malky Glaister;480544]Denholms took this vessel over in Newark late 1974. I joined as third engineer. Chief Jimmy Halbert and JCE Davy Bisset. He went Chief and I 2nd when Halbert left. We sailed to Montreal via Boston with frozen beef on board. The Brostrom freezer chap came with us. First ever freezer cargo for the company was citrus from Bahia Blanca for Gothenburg in March 1975. It was a Johnstone line cargo. WE had to open all hatches at 0700 for inspection. This took place at around 10 am. Bollockings all round as the top hold temp was well below freezing point. Being me I pointed out that the air temp was about minus 5. Red Swedes faces, smirks from the Brits and my last ever freezer boat trip. B****stds

Who pinched the Bahia Blanca sign..the one that was hidden in the Sauna......it must have been acquired during that first trip?
__________________
Douglas James Michael
Thumb
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 12th April 2011, 13:16
Malky Glaister Malky Glaister is offline  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 854
Hi Douglas, Don't know who pinched that. We were in Bahia Blanca for some weeks waiting for the man from del Monte to say yes. The political bandits blew up the local brewery causing a major annoyance. We well looked after by the locals though. One of my best ever port stays. I think everyone onboard had a really good time!

regards Malky
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ocean Monarch david smith Shaw Savill 90 9th November 2016 04:55
Ocean Monarch david smith Shaw Savill 5 21st October 2013 11:36
Ocean Hunter tanker Tramp Steamers 0 24th November 2004 15:07



Support SN


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.