looking for old shipmate - Ships Nostalgia
14:47

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

looking for old shipmate

User Tag List

Old 30th December 2018, 02:12

looking for old shipmate

I am trying to locate a Roger Smith whom I met on board the SS Iberia in 1968. He was a "chippie" and came from Gillingham Kent UK.
Lost contact in 1970. Rumour has it he went to Victoria to marry a Melbourne girl but don't know if that actually occurred. Is he still alive ? So many people from that time have sadly passed on. Thanks for any information.
Old 30th December 2018, 09:49
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1968 - 2011

My location
Try posting on this http://www.seadogs-reunited.com/ It is more dedicated to the Iberia and you may have better luck.
Old 31st December 2018, 04:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbieR View Post
Try posting on this http://www.seadogs-reunited.com/ It is more dedicated to the Iberia and you may have better luck.
Not there but thanks anyway. Looks like he has disappeared. Doesn't appear to show up anywhere people have advised me to look.
Old 10th February 2019, 05:46

I see seadogs reunited has folded their website sadly so that avenue is closed. P&O destroyed their crew lists for the period I am interested in so that is also closed. Is there no one out there who knew Roger Smith. I think he was at sea for some years surly he must've made friends in that time. Other online searches have come up empty. With a common surname phone books are really like looking for a needle in a haystack. Maybe what's needed is 6 degrees of separation, someone who might know someone etc. Thanks for any information
Old 11th February 2019, 06:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Rogers View Post
See that name a lot in Hotel register books.
Can you elaborate what you mean?? What locations?? Any contact details I can use? Thanks
Old 11th February 2019, 12:30
Active: 1947 - 1954

My location
vicki, Sorry I misled you, It was my attempt at a poor joke. A couple, un married
spending a night or two in a Hotel never use their real name, its always Mr. and Mrs. Smith.

Last edited by John Rogers; 11th February 2019 at 13:33..
Old 11th February 2019, 13:52
Department: Deck
Active: 1959 - 1969

Have you tried British Merchant Navy old friends plus, if not there are several seaman that use it who live in Melbourne and other areas in Australia. Good Luck (C)
Old 12th February 2019, 01:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian View Post
Have you tried British Merchant Navy old friends plus, if not there are several seaman that use it who live in Melbourne and other areas in Australia. Good Luck (C)
Thank you will try and see how I get on.
Old 12th February 2019, 01:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Rogers View Post
vicki, Sorry I misled you, It was my attempt at a poor joke. A couple, un married
spending a night or two in a Hotel never use their real name, its always Mr. and Mrs. Smith.
I forgive you but it was probably not what I expected
Old 12th February 2019, 03:09
Active: 1947 - 1954

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicki_ View Post
I forgive you but it was probably not what I expected
Thank you Vicki, wish you much luck on your search.
Old 17th February 2019, 05:11

Smile

Quote:
Thank you for this tip. Interesting site with lots of conversation but so far no trace of Roger. Could be anywhere. Phone books only put the first letter not the full name so it can get quite, daunting difficult to filter all those results. Nowadays a lot of people are mobile phones only. Probably it is too long ago shame as it would've been good to catch up. Thanks for all the help anyway
Old 17th February 2019, 09:00

[QUOTE=vicki_;2969181]Thank you for this tip. Interesting site with lots of conversation but so far no trace of Roger. Could be anywhere. Phone books only put the first letter not the full name so it can get quite, daunting difficult to filter all those results. Nowadays a lot of people are mobile phones only. Probably it is too long ago shame as it would've been good to catch up. Thanks for all the help anyway[/QUOT

Its good of you to reply Vicki much appreciated my name is Roger unfortunately not the one you are looking for, however there is a roger Dyer on the other site he lives in Australia, you will find him in the crew lists. best of luck. (C)
Old 20th February 2019, 03:39

[quote=canadian;2969191]
Quote:
Thank you for this tip. Interesting site with lots of conversation but so far no trace of Roger. Could be anywhere. Phone books only put the first letter not the full name so it can get quite, daunting difficult to filter all those results. Nowadays a lot of people are mobile phones only. Probably it is too long ago shame as it would've been good to catch up. Thanks for all the help anyway[/QUOT

Its good of you to reply Vicki much appreciated my name is Roger unfortunately not the one you are looking for, however there is a roger Dyer on the other site he lives in Australia, you will find him in the crew lists. best of luck. (C)
Not had much luck finding that Roger Dyer. The crew list seems to go on forever. Probably my fault as I do find these sites a bit confusing. Is there a simple way of finding this person?? I am probably a luddite Cheers
Old 20th February 2019, 09:38

Looking for shipmate

Ok, Vicki go to top of web page of bmnob. click crew list. scroll to( forum crew list,) on the far right there is a small search box.click search forum, enter name of crew member. Regards (C)

Last edited by canadian; 20th February 2019 at 09:40..
Old 21st February 2019, 05:45

Hi Canadian tried that. The search box said search messages so entered name there just came up as no messages.
I have put in a thread trying to find that Roger Dyer so maybe I will get a response there.
Thanks for your patience and help Cheers Vicki
Old 21st February 2019, 20:31

Quote:
Hi Canadian tried that. The search box said search messages so entered name there just came up as no messages.
I have put in a thread trying to find that Roger Dyer so maybe I will get a response there.
Thanks for your patience and help Cheers Vicki
follow to the letter, the box you need to fill is search forum, not search messages.
Old 24th February 2019, 05:41

Smile

Quote:
follow to the letter, the box you need to fill is search forum, not search messages.
Thanks. Always easy when you know how.
Old 24th February 2019, 14:17

Quote:
Thanks. Always easy when you know how.
No problem good luck with your Search. (C)
Old 2nd March 2019, 23:57

Well I have to say that I will probably not be able to trace Roger Smith. I have been going round in circles and it seems the closest I can get is to visit Kew which is a bit difficult being on the opposite of the world. Thanks for everyone's suggestions which I have tried, would've been easier with a less common surname. I told him years ago just send a Christmas card every year, men tend to not bother us ladies are a little more interested in that kind of stuff. He could've died years ago who knows. At least I tried. I still enjoy the website though so thanks for that, I will post stories from time to time. I worked over 4 decades in X-ray so have heaps of funny ones. : )
Old 3rd March 2019, 01:40

Vicki, Roger Dyer is a member on this forum too, under Roger the lodger I believe.

There is a Smith Roger — — 2008-18 Uk Electoral Registers & Companies House Directors 2002-2018 Gillingham, Kent, England, age 65+
Will send you the full address by pm if you wish, possibly a tel no if not xd. Marian

Last edited by gray_marian; 3rd March 2019 at 01:58.. Reason: Added text
Old 13th March 2019, 06:56

I have recently had some good information re the where abouts of Roger Smith given to me by a member of this site. I have written to this person who may be the one I am looking for so will await the outcome of that. The telephone number was ex directory and no email address so it's back to snail mail. Thanks to everyone let's hope I have finally found him.
Old 13th March 2019, 11:13

Quote:
I have recently had some good information re the where abouts of Roger Smith given to me by a member of this site. I have written to this person who may be the one I am looking for so will await the outcome of that. The telephone number was ex directory and no email address so it's back to snail mail. Thanks to everyone let's hope I have finally found him.
As I said before Vicki your updates are most welcome. your perseverance hopefully will bear fruit. Regards (C)
Old 13th March 2019, 16:06

Search for Shipmate Roger Smith

Hello
That's my name but sorry to say I am not who you are looking for.In 1968 I was 2nd Mate on a BP Tanker.
I hope you have more success elsewhere.
best wishes to you
Old 14th March 2019, 06:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Smith View Post
Hello
That's my name but sorry to say I am not who you are looking for.In 1968 I was 2nd Mate on a BP Tanker.
I hope you have more success elsewhere.
best wishes to you
That's ok, shame but there you go. I am tenacious so even if this latest lead comes to nought I will keep trying a matter of curiosity now.
I have been given some other ideas to try. At least this is improving my computer skills. I have been thoroughly enjoying the posts on this site.
I may be quiet for a couple of weeks as my husband and I are taking a cruise to NZ next week around both islands should be good.
Thanks guys you are a lovely lot Vicki
Old 21st March 2019, 23:57

I live in Melbourne and along with nearly 5 million other people and a lot of Smiths. In fact my best friend's maiden name is Smith as is one of my neighbours, not to rain on your parade but very difficult to find a Smith