Spanish Civil War - Ships Nostalgia
20:38

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Spanish Civil War

User Tag List

Old 22nd February 2007, 14:23

Spanish Civil War

I am researching the impact of the Spanish Civil War 1936-39 on the Scottish Highlands and Islands.
If any readers have any information I would be pleased to hear it.
Do you know people who fought in the war or were crew on board blockade busters?
Anything relating to crew or ships calling, impounded or damaged during the war; including the Stanhope Steamship co; cargoes, departure and arrival ports, etc etc.

Muchos gracias!

Frank
Old 22nd February 2007, 14:45

My location
Hi Frank
Are you aware of the history book by P M Heaton "Jack Billmeir Merchantship Owner". Gives a great deal of information regarding the Stanhope ships during the Spanish civil war.
By co-incidence only just finished reading my copy this week!
Regards
Peter4447
Old 23rd February 2007, 18:28

I remember hearing when I was a child of the Master of a blockade runner during the Spanish Civil War who went by the name of "Potato Jones". Can't remember any details, does anyone have info. on this?
Old 23rd February 2007, 19:59

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by jock paul View Post
I remember hearing when I was a child of the Master of a blockade runner during the Spanish Civil War who went by the name of "Potato Jones". Can't remember any details, does anyone have info. on this?
Captain David John Jones of Swansea, Master of the Marie Llewellyn. There were 3 Captains involved in this particular incident when 4 ships were waiting to go into St Jean de Luz and 3 were commanded by a Captain Jones, so the press nicknamed them: Potato Jones, Corn Cob Jones and Ham and Egg Jones

Peter4447

Last edited by Peter4447; 23rd February 2007 at 20:06..
Old 24th February 2007, 10:33
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Navigation
Active: 1963 - 2006

My location
Another PM Heaton book worth a look is 'Welsh Blockade Runners in the Spanish Civil War'. ISBN 0 9507714 5 7 Starling Press 1985.

Mind you I don't think you will find much in there about the highlands and islands....
Old 24th February 2007, 11:23

My location
Spanish Civil War

In the 50s I sailed as 2nd mate in Jack Billmier's Elstead commanded by one of his permanent masters Capt Ituarte. Capt Ituarte was Spanish with British
nationality and also a veteran of the Spanish Civil War as a very young man serving in Spanish ships running the Nationalist blockade. Being on the loosing side he came to the UK and joined the Stanhope Shipping Co serving throughout the war in their ships. What is not generally known is that Jack Billmier attempted to get single ships to Malta during the siege with one success but several failures
Old 25th February 2007, 09:29

frank read my posting in the archive [crew members] No 60, regards edward.
Old 16th March 2007, 21:46

one name leads to another.....

Edward I'm sorry I can't locate the thread or your post. Please oblige and re-post or gimme direction, please.

Cisco, you'd be surprised at how one piece of info leads to another. In just 8 weeks I've located 4 Shetlanders possibly involved in blockade busting, including two gun runners.

I thank previous members Peter and Cisco.....
Today saw the arrival of a library book 'Blockade runners of the Spanish Civil War' by P Heaton, I'll study it in the next few weeks. Then I'll locate "Jack Billmeir Merchantship Owner" [or if Peter4447 wants to loan/sell his copy....?..]
I also have 'Arms For Spain' which touches on my field of interest.

Another possible blockade runner: This MAY have the name of 'LORISTON' Anybody heard of this ship or a name like it? Docked in Valencia.

Salud!
Old 16th March 2007, 23:21

My location
Hi Frank
Sorry I can't offer my book for sale - I am very much a collector of printed Company histories.
Jack Billmeir Merchant Shipowner by P M Heaton. Published by the Starling Press, Risca, Newport, Gwent in 1989.
ISBN 0 9507714 9 X

Hope this may aid your research.
Regards
Peter4447
Old 4th September 2012, 21:13
Organisation: Maritime Enthusiast
Department: Engineering
Active: 1964 - Present

Potato Jones

Sorry to comment so late but anyone interested in Potato Jones and gun running to Spain might like to know that one of Jones crew, Roy Astbury is still alive and lives in North East England. He likes to talk of his experiences. He claims that Jones had a wooden leg which was taken away from him when he and Astbury and another crew member were imprisoned briefly in Spain. Apparently they escaped with Jones supported between Astbury and another crew member. Astbury's stories are difficult to believe but some of them must be true. I bet he would be thrilled if a researcher found him and asked for his story.

Another bit of gossip was that the Seabank Hotel in Porthcawl was built by Jones with gun running money. Again I can find no corroboration.