Spanish Civil War - Ships Nostalgia
17:13

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Spanish Civil War

User Tag List

Old 28th September 2006, 19:13

Spanish Civil War

Just wondering whether any of you erudite ex-seafarers or historians can tell me anything about the eight British merchant vessels reported sunk during the Spanish Civil War. I know that Jack Billmeir was involved but which of his ships I don't know. I assume that they were running the Nationalist blockade,and crafty Jack made a pile. Thanks in anticipation.Pierhead Jumper.
Old 29th September 2006, 03:20
gdynia gdynia is offline   SN Supporter
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1970 - 2010

My location
Theres a book called Spanish Civil War Blockade Runners. You might be abe to get at your local library

Author Heaton, Paul
ISBN 1872006213
Publisher Heaton, P M
Price £20.00
Old 29th September 2006, 23:30

Spanish Civil War

Thanks,Gdynia.Have noted information and will seek out same.Cheers.
Pierhead Jumper.
Old 25th May 2007, 10:37

2.2.1938; Dundee Courier reported the loss of the British ship Endymion, torpedoed and sunk by a suspected Nationalist submarine off Spain. Her skipper and owner, Captain Adolphus Charles Verano, an Anglo-Italian of Gibraltan birth, was one of 11 killed. He had been posted to a destroyer based at Dundee in 1916 and after the war had stayed in the city to study at Dundee School of Navigation, 33 Dock Street. He had many friends in the city and it is believed he intended to settle in Dundee upon retirement.
Old 14th July 2007, 23:30

spanish civil war blockade runners Brisbane

Good to know there is a book available. I'm trying to discover the funnel colours of the French ship 'Brisbane' which was beached at Denia in 1938 after being bombed. The owner was Andre Puech of Paris, ship registered at Algiers and was previously the 'Marie-Louise Schiaffino' and images of this name can be found. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
brabs
Old 14th July 2007, 23:37

The "nationalist" submarines were almost invariably Italian.
The Nationalists had major problems with the Spansh Navy. Most of the officers tended to be Nationalist, whilst the crew tended to be loyal to the government. Consequently, in 1936, when ships commanded by the rebels who became known as Nationalists, disobeyed their government's orders, the loyal crews killed them.
Consequently, the Spanish Navy, on both sides tended to be ineffective. The Italian Navy became, effectively, the Nationalist Navy.