F T Everard and Sons Ltd - Page 8 - Ships Nostalgia
10:22

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

F T Everard and Sons Ltd

User Tag List

Old 30th August 2016, 00:35
Organisation: Maritime Enthusiast
Department: Office / Administration

ft everade coastal ships

hi im trying to find out the name of the ship/or ships my grandfarther used to work on i think he was a steward,in the fifties sailing to denmark and sweeden ect,his name was edward/ted/foster who lived in sunderland, can anyone put me on the right track,thanks
Old 30th August 2016, 07:39

When I was in the Frederick T Everard in 1962, the chief steward's name was Ted, but I forgot his surname. He kept very much to himself, so I did not really get to know him. I know he was very keen on going to dog racing though! He was getting on at the time, I would think he was approaching retirement!
Bob

Miniature Merchant Ships
Old 31st August 2016, 12:59

I never sailed with Everards but I was on the Tilapa a skin boat and a Peter Newlands was called up to see the old man who informed him he had been awarded the B.E.M.for attempting along with another man to save an unfortunate man who fell in the dock at Rotterdam ,I believe the ship he was on was the Aclarity Peter must be one of the youngest person to receive this honour.Are there any of Everards crew who were on this ship at the time?it would be interesting to hear from them ,I have tried for many a year to find Peter but no luck he would be 78 now,he was 17 at the time of his award of the medal.
Old 28th September 2016, 21:52
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1950 - 1998

interesting bit about loss of the Fred Everard.The 3rd Engr who was on watch at the time,a little guy from the sub-continent originally but from Croydon at the time of the loss was lerft below with no word of what had happened!He was eventually rescued by,I think,the lifeboat men.He was 2nd on a ship I had after,maybe Apricity or Supremity.
Old 1st October 2016, 16:14

I was mate of the Frederick T for a few months,coal out to Denmark,timber back from Finland.Chief steward was named Snape from Glenrothes,I remember Jackie Tonks the Chief Engineer holding him over the side until he agreed that his name was Snake.
Old 17th October 2016, 00:46
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1974 - 1990

They had on in the 80s called Security, she was one of foue built in that classa_security_29-8-75.jpg
Old 18th October 2016, 12:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom roberts View Post
I never sailed with Everards but I was on the Tilapa a skin boat and a Peter Newlands was called up to see the old man who informed him he had been awarded the B.E.M.for attempting along with another man to save an unfortunate man who fell in the dock at Rotterdam ,I believe the ship he was on was the Aclarity Peter must be one of the youngest person to receive this honour.Are there any of Everards crew who were on this ship at the time?it would be interesting to hear from them ,I have tried for many a year to find Peter but no luck he would be 78 now,he was 17 at the time of his award of the medal.
My apologies re the vessel re it was not the Aclarity it was the Asperity and the place where Peter and another seaman who was also posthumously a bravery award was Vlaringden not Rotterdam, again if anyone served on the Asperity at the time please let us know.thank you.
Old 21st October 2016, 16:30

I was just watching the Russian fleets contribution to the mayhem in Syria steaming past Dover.If that aircraft carrier was on eof Everards,let alone the RN ,all the ER people would get aevere telling off for the amount of thick,black,contininuous smoke she was making!
Old 28th December 2017, 00:16
Department: Engineering
Active: 1953 - 1965

Does anybody remember the s.s. city. I was 2nd engineer on her in 1957? raybroad
Old 28th December 2017, 01:13
Department: Navigation
Active: 1955 - 2005

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by raybroad View Post
Does anybody remember the s.s. city. I was 2nd engineer on her in 1957? raybroad
Yup, sure do. I was a Cadet on HMS Worcester and "City" spent a fair amount of time on the buoys opposite. That class of rebuilds always intrigued me.
Old 15th November 2019, 16:02

Capt Barney Seaman

My Grandfather, Barney Seaman started his time working as cabin boy on the 'Martinet', an Everard Sailing Barge. He stayed with FT Everard throughout and ended up as Skipper on the Stability with a number of tankers and coasters in between. He died many years ago when I was a young boy, but the internet has now allowed me to find out something of his past. Nice memories.
Old 15th November 2019, 18:12

I sailed on the yellow peril 'Speciality' in the 50's not a bad ship, good skipper, fair food, but bluddy hard work with three hatches of dominoes being humped around sometimes 2 or 3 times a day, never needed a gym. Although speed on specifications was 11 knots, somebody must have dreamt it, you'd be lucky to get 8 knots on a good day with those Newbury sewing machines, which made navigation very interesting when rock dodging loaded and a foot or less under the keel, you could more or less disregard squat
Old 15th November 2019, 20:51
Active: 1959 - 1961

Dave a w

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Leach View Post
My Grandfather, Barney Seaman started his time working as cabin boy on the 'Martinet', an Everard Sailing Barge. He stayed with FT Everard throughout and ended up as Skipper on the Stability with a number of tankers and coasters in between. He died many years ago when I was a young boy, but the internet has now allowed me to find out something of his past. Nice memories.
We wer very lucky to be around in the late fifties sixties and seventies, for the ships and port we could visit home and foreign articles memories still with me. Bucket list is to visit all the home ports I visited.