photo of thames small vessel / barge? - Ships Nostalgia
04:21

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

photo of thames small vessel / barge?

User Tag List

Old 4th October 2008, 18:14

My location
photo of thames small vessel / barge?

whilst searching for a photo of my grandfathers ship . I thought I'd cracked it when I came across a photo titled " Stork unloading cargo at tower bridge" ( I have a copy of the only photo of her on the net ie u-boat, clyde built ships etc, but the resolution and quality isnt good). I have been sent a low resolution copy via Email However the photo is taken from the deck of the ship and is actually of the small vessel she is unloading onto which appears to be named Samantha ( name partly obscured by a deck hands elbow). The photo is subject to copyright but I will try to attch a small part of it with the ships name. I know that there are members here who are interested in the vessels on the thames, so if anyone would like the details of where to get the picture, send me a private message with your email details and I will be happy to pass it on.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 10313798.jpg (45.2 KB, 39 views)
Old 4th October 2008, 18:47
Active: 1936 - 1986

Hello Amanda
I think the name is Samaritan.
Regards Stan
Old 4th October 2008, 21:31

My location
thanks Stan, totally out of my depth on this one. ment to say before ,that the photo was taken in 1938.
Old 4th October 2008, 21:56

My location
Hi Amanda,

I have got a bit confused by your request but I take it you are saying that your grandfather was on a ship called Stork and the photo shows here unloading her cargo into a barge. Also that the photo was taken in 1938.

Now there have been many ships named Stork but you will find details of the one that was around in 1938 in this link - sadly no photo as yet: http://www.miramarshipindex.org.nz/ship/show/139045

If it had been the next one I could have helped you with a photo as there is a Stork launched in 1945 in The Allen Collection.
Old 4th October 2008, 22:49

Amanda -
The sailing barge Samaritan was abandoned during 1930s so the Stork will be the General Steam Navigation Co ship. GSNC ... of pre WW2.
She traded to Mediterranean ports prewar and berthed in London at Iron Gate Wharf [almost below Tower Bridge] or in St Kathrine Dock nearby.
Hello Brian
This Stork was sunk by U 201 off Portugal on 23 August 1941 while in convoy.
Regards to you both
Stan
Old 4th October 2008, 22:53

Amanda - the man with his arm over the name - does he have a grey beard?
Stan
Old 5th October 2008, 11:37

My location
I have been researching the STORK 1937 (787 tons) for the past year, as this was my grandfather's ship. but have only ever found ONE photo of her. several people over the year have sent me images of her but they are all the same photo, which is not good quality. There is also someone else who would like some other photos of her, for slightly different reasons. when I found this photo, the title stated " the STORK unloading cargo at tower bridge I got really excited! however when I recieved the low res image the picture is taken from the deck of the STORK so contains no image of the stork it's self!! drat & dash!!!
The photo is copyrighted to the hilt so I dont feel that I can post the whole Image here, but it is a nice photo. I will try to attach another two parts of the photo to this post ( im not too good at this sort of thing) in the first one you can clearly see the crew of the small vessel and her id ( which I didnt notice before) and there is a second vessel in the background which I will also include.
Stan, if you want the low res image of the whole thing, just send me a private message with your Email and I'll send it to you with details of where to get a better copy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg thames ship.jpg (98.9 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg 10313798.jpg (78.4 KB, 28 views)
Old 5th October 2008, 12:02

My location
Benjidog, I guess what I'm really saying is that I have ended up with a photo of a couple of vessels which are of no direct intrest to me, but thought that they may be of intrest to someone else here.
perhaps one day someone else may be able to return the favor and have a photo with the Stork in the background

Stan the deck hand I assume is from the Stork. and is as far as I can tell is clean shaven, have included the image here.

Apparently the cargo being unloaded is seawater!!! all the way from the Bay of Biscay for London Aquarium...... and whats wrong with seawater from southend I wonder?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 10313798.jpg (62.4 KB, 11 views)
Old 5th October 2008, 19:10

Hello Amanda,
Have you come across this source?
http://www.clydesite.co.uk/clydebuil...ip.asp?id=2926
Old 5th October 2008, 21:42
danube4

My location
Amanda. Go to this site pointed out by Eddyw.

http://www.clydesite.co.uk/clydebuil...ip.asp?id=2926

Barney. Pic of STORK.
Old 5th October 2008, 23:11

My location
Well done Eddy!

As you can see Amanda it is not often that the members on this site get stumped with enquiries - at least not for 20th Century vessels.
Old 6th October 2008, 04:13

My location
Thanks everyone, This is the picture that I have . It appears to be the only shot of her. It's the same one on U-Boat, and even the company that built her has only this shot. I have been sent pictures from books, again the same shot.
I know that I should consider my self lucky to have all that I do have . Many people dont get as far as I have and what I have discovered is through people like yourselves taking the time and effort to respond to my questions

I usually find that even if someone is giving me info that I already have, it often contains some small snippit of info that I didnt have before , which all helps to build up the bigger picture.

Thanks for taking the time
Amanda.
Old 22nd October 2008, 03:11

My location
just as an update, I have been sent a photo of the Stork that appears to have been in a private collection and is of a much better quality than the one currently available on the net, so I am a very happy bunny!it has another thames small ship in the foreground " mosquito " ( well I think its the thames)