Blue Funnel Line Reborn? - Ships Nostalgia
17:56

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
Log in
User Name Password

Blue Funnel Line Reborn?

User Tag List

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 27th June 2007, 14:01
Thamesphil's Avatar
Thamesphil Thamesphil is offline  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,439
Blue Funnel Line Reborn?

Well, not quite. However, ex-Blue Funnelers might be interested in a conversation one of my colleagues had this morning.

He was asked to value a small container feeder ship recently renamed "Priam", owned by an Australian company, Ocean Shipping Pty. Ltd. It turns out that this company is run by a former Blue Funnel master, Capt. Denis Gallagher. Furthermore, I'm told that the "Priam" sports the traditional Blue Flue colour scheme of black hull/white upperworks and, of course, the blue funnel. There doesn't appear to be any photos of her around as the "Priam" but here's one of her under her former name of Gabrielle:

http://www.shipspotting.com/modules/...php?lid=319473

Ocean Shipping also own a smaller feeder ship called "Telemachus". Again, there doesn't seem to be any photos of her around.

Whilst these vessels undoubtedly do not hold the same charm and sentiment as the old Blue Funnel ships, I thought this might be of interest nonetheless.

Cheers,
Phil
  #2  
Old 27th June 2007, 14:08
Fairfield's Avatar
Fairfield Fairfield is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 9,784
Don't know if you are a WSS member but there is actually a pic in the current issue of the latest PRIAM.
  #3  
Old 27th June 2007, 14:15
Thamesphil's Avatar
Thamesphil Thamesphil is offline  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,439
Ah, I'm not actuially a member of WSS Paul. Does she really sport the accurate Blue Funnel livery, or is it a bit of wishful thinking on the part of my colleague?

Cheers,
Phil
  #4  
Old 27th June 2007, 16:17
makko's Avatar
makko makko is online now  
Senior Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1979 - 1998
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
My location
Posts: 5,836
Also the Protesilaus. Yes, they are painted in BF colour scheme, see here:

http://www.pentredu.freeserve.co.uk/protesilaus.html

Regards,

Dave
  #5  
Old 28th June 2007, 00:00
Graham McMorine's Avatar
Graham McMorine Graham McMorine is offline  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
My location
Posts: 315
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by makko View Post
Also the Protesilaus. Yes, they are painted in BF colour scheme, see here:

http://www.pentredu.freeserve.co.uk/protesilaus.html

Regards,

Dave
How wonderful to see a guy prepared to carry on a truly great tradition and livery, I wish him well.
  #6  
Old 28th June 2007, 00:13
Peter4447 Peter4447 is offline  
user
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
My location
Posts: 38
As far as I am aware the original Ocean name of the company is now held by Exel, the road transport logistics firm.

Peter4447
  #7  
Old 28th June 2007, 10:17
Thamesphil's Avatar
Thamesphil Thamesphil is offline  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,439
Thanks for all the comments Chaps. Shame that Capt. Gallagher isn't here himself to give us the full story of his company.

Cheers,
Phil
  #8  
Old 28th June 2007, 12:47
exsailor's Avatar
exsailor exsailor is offline  
Senior Member
Department: Deck
Active: 1972 - 1979
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
My location
Posts: 1,291
From Indonesia Shipping Gazette of June 25.
Ocean Shipping Pty Ltd was incorporated May 1997 and is headquartered in Townsville, Queensland. Managing Director is Denis Gallagher. Owns and operates 4 geared multipurpose vessels, plus 2 in a joint-venture with PT Meratus Line of Indonesia. All Singapore flag and on time charter to regional operators trading Asia/Australia/Pacific Islands.

If anybody wants to contact Denis, company address (from phone book) is Ocean Shipping Pty Ltd., 41 Macrossan Street, Townsville, QLD 4810. Telephone (07) 4721 5568, e-mail [email protected] (No i in address)

Dennis.
  #9  
Old 8th September 2007, 22:36
Bill Davies Bill Davies is offline  
member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 181
I think it unlikely that Denis Gallagher was a Blue Funnel Master unless he is in his 80s however, it is most likely he was an officer in that company.
  #10  
Old 9th September 2007, 00:16
makko's Avatar
makko makko is online now  
Senior Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1979 - 1998
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
My location
Posts: 5,836
I believe that he was. He did his Cadetship with BF. But not a Master!

Regards,

Dave
  #11  
Old 9th September 2007, 09:55
Bill Davies Bill Davies is offline  
member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 181
It is 46 years ago that I left the Blue Funnel Line after 6 years service therein (Deck Boy to AB left immediately on obtaining 2nd Mates (FG)). The company I left can never be reborn simply by using the same livery and names. After all these years I still hold my 'China Boat' memories very dear. In all the years away my regards for the men I sailed with is undiminished and the skills of the legendary Bosuns found in that company were not to be found elsewhere in British or any other flag. Sailed for an ex Blue Funnel Shipowner in the 80s who was horrified when this name/ livery thing was suggested. And rightly so.
  #12  
Old 25th October 2007, 02:19
demodocus demodocus is offline
member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 67
Dennis Gallagher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Davies View Post
I think it unlikely that Denis Gallagher was a Blue Funnel Master unless he is in his 80s however, it is most likely he was an officer in that company.

Dennis rose to 3rd Mate in Blue Flu. Next time I saw him he was Mate on a Smit Lloyd oil-rig supply ship in Bass Strait, then a ship-broker in Brisbane in 1988.
  #13  
Old 25th October 2007, 08:02
Orbitaman's Avatar
Orbitaman Orbitaman is offline  
Senior Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1977 - Present
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
My location
Posts: 1,821
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Davies View Post
It is 46 years ago that I left the Blue Funnel Line after 6 years service therein (Deck Boy to AB left immediately on obtaining 2nd Mates (FG)). The company I left can never be reborn simply by using the same livery and names. After all these years I still hold my 'China Boat' memories very dear. In all the years away my regards for the men I sailed with is undiminished and the skills of the legendary Bosuns found in that company were not to be found elsewhere in British or any other flag. Sailed for an ex Blue Funnel Shipowner in the 80s who was horrified when this name/ livery thing was suggested. And rightly so.
Whilst I understand your sentimentality for the old Blue Funnel, no one has the right to decide who can use what livery on a ship. I'm sure that the company who have bought these ships have chosen the livery for their own good reasons and have the same right to use it as did Alfred Holt.

Making a sweeping statement regarding Blue Funnel bosuns that you cannot proove is nothing less than a slight on the many non Blue Funnel bosuns who sailed in the worlds merchant navies and probably had the skill and experience to match any of their peers. I sailed with a number of bosuns, who I believe had such knowledge and skill of seamanship matters that what they didn't know could be written on the back of a fag packet. However, according to your sweeping statement, they were 'second' class' seamen because they didn't sail for Blue Funnel.
  #14  
Old 25th October 2007, 09:32
Steve Woodward Steve Woodward is offline  
member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
My location
Posts: 1
Well said orbitaman
  #15  
Old 25th October 2007, 10:07
Bill Davies Bill Davies is offline  
member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orbitaman View Post
Whilst I understand your sentimentality for the old Blue Funnel, no one has the right to decide who can use what livery on a ship. I'm sure that the company who have bought these ships have chosen the livery for their own good reasons and have the same right to use it as did Alfred Holt.

Making a sweeping statement regarding Blue Funnel bosuns that you cannot proove is nothing less than a slight on the many non Blue Funnel bosuns who sailed in the worlds merchant navies and probably had the skill and experience to match any of their peers. I sailed with a number of bosuns, who I believe had such knowledge and skill of seamanship matters that what they didn't know could be written on the back of a fag packet. However, according to your sweeping statement, they were 'second' class' seamen because they didn't sail for Blue Funnel.
There was no implication that others were second class and further as Blue Funnel as such ceased around 67 some 10 years before you were even starting your apprenticeship you are hardly in a position to discuss the merits of this company.
  #16  
Old 25th October 2007, 10:08
Bill Davies Bill Davies is offline  
member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Woodward View Post
Well said orbitaman
Predictable!
  #17  
Old 25th October 2007, 10:13
Steve Woodward Steve Woodward is offline  
member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
My location
Posts: 1
The only thing predictable is your rudeness and arrogance
  #18  
Old 25th October 2007, 11:36
Orbitaman's Avatar
Orbitaman Orbitaman is offline  
Senior Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1977 - Present
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
My location
Posts: 1,821
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Davies View Post
There was no implication that others were second class and further as Blue Funnel as such ceased around 67 some 10 years before you were even starting your apprenticeship you are hardly in a position to discuss the merits of this company.
I was not discussing the merits of the company, just your implied opinion that Blue Funnel bosuns were better than anyone elses.

That I started my seagoing career ten years after the 'demise' of Blue Funnel does not exclude me from airing my opinions on any company that ceased to trade before I went to sea. By your argument, no one can make comments on the merits of the likes of the White Star Line or The Aberdeen Line or any other company that ceased to trade before World War II, as these companies ceased to trade 'as such' before any of us started our seagoing careers.
  #19  
Old 25th October 2007, 13:44
Bill Davies Bill Davies is offline  
member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orbitaman View Post
I was not discussing the merits of the company, just your implied opinion that Blue Funnel bosuns were better than anyone elses.

That I started my seagoing career ten years after the 'demise' of Blue Funnel does not exclude me from airing my opinions on any company that ceased to trade before I went to sea. By your argument, no one can make comments on the merits of the likes of the White Star Line or The Aberdeen Line or any other company that ceased to trade before World War II, as these companies ceased to trade 'as such' before any of us started our seagoing careers.
Primarily this site is about nostalgia and having sailed for the first six years (55/61) of a fifty year career with the Blue Funnel Line I was merely relecting my opinion on comparing both the Bosuns and Deck crew found therein with others as the best. I am quite aware that there were other fine seamen in other companies but one had to experience the Blue Funnel to know what I am talking about. Believe me it was different than elsewhere in the British flag as it was more like a family. The 'crowd' were all BF men from Deck Boy. Not 'off the pool' although I am told this 'creeped in' in the late 60s.
I say to you with all respect that unless one experienced the BF pre say 67/68 it is difficult to understand.


Brgds

Bill
  #20  
Old 25th October 2007, 14:15
K urgess K urgess is offline
user
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
My location
Posts: 83
From my experience the same "family" feeling can be attributed to -

Lamport & Holt
Bankline
P.S.N.C.
Blue Star
Hadley Shipping Co.
Esso
Texaco
Portline
Wilson Line

All with excellent officers and crew of all nationalities.
Thinking about it I would even add Hungry Hogarth and R. S. Dalgliesh if speaking about the regular officers and crew.

Oh, tall blue funnel
With top of black,
We will worship you -
Till we get the sack. - Anon.

Found that in the front of an album of very old pictures of very old Blue Funnel ships. One of two albums purchased recently and obviously compiled by a fan.
  #21  
Old 25th October 2007, 16:07
Bill Davies Bill Davies is offline  
member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 181
Kris,

I too sailed in several of the above, the US multinationals and one or two others certainly do not 'qualify' as family orientated firms.
As I have already said, you had to be there to appreciate the comeraderie/atmosphere experienced by sailing in the BF.

Brgds

Bill
  #22  
Old 25th October 2007, 16:39
K urgess K urgess is offline
user
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
My location
Posts: 83
You seem to be steering a misinterpreted course towards the rocks of wrong conclusions.
I said nothing about being "family orientated".
I said that I experienced a "family feeling". That means that everybody on board felt that the crew was a big happy family and this extended to the shipping company as a whole.
As to being "family orientated". Mobil shipping, who I seem to have left off my list by mistake, didn't know me from Adam yet still allowed my wife to join me in La Spezia after a month onboard. Entirely at their expense.

Kris
  #23  
Old 25th October 2007, 16:58
Bill Davies Bill Davies is offline  
member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marconi Sahib View Post
You seem to be steering a misinterpreted course towards the rocks of wrong conclusions.
I said nothing about being "family orientated".
I said that I experienced a "family feeling". That means that everybody on board felt that the crew was a big happy family and this extended to the shipping company as a whole.
As to being "family orientated". Mobil shipping, who I seem to have left off my list by mistake, didn't know me from Adam yet still allowed my wife to join me in La Spezia after a month onboard. Entirely at their expense.

Kris
If you are baseing your rationale on a company allowing you to take your wife then there is nothing for me to add.

Bill
  #24  
Old 25th October 2007, 18:14
fred henderson's Avatar
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 5,591
Bill

I admire your implacable loyalty to a company you left 46 years ago. I feel very much the same about the shipyard where I began my career and also left about 46 years ago. I would suggest however, that the atmosphere you describe existed in many first rate companies (in all industries) at that time. Each of us who benefited from this experience remains for ever an X Company man. The world has greatly changed since then, in most ways for the better, but the loss of the old company spirit you describe is sadly missed by those of us who had the good fortune to benefit from it.
We need to appreciate that other people, who in the same period had the misfortune to work for companies other than ours, probably feel the same way about their old firms. I feel it is important as a site that we respect those members who love other organisations even if we may privately think they are deluded.
It seems that this thread has moved somewhat from its theme. I personally think it is touching that someone feels so strongly about his first employer that years later he has adopted its name and some of its characteristics in his own company. Of course it will never be the same as the original organisation, but we must remember that the original business did not survive.

Regards

Fred
  #25  
Old 25th October 2007, 18:38
Bill Davies Bill Davies is offline  
member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 181
Fred,

Very well put.

Brgds

Bill
Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Blue Funnel Crew Lists Tomvart Blue Funnel Line 85 22nd December 2018 19:29
The Palm Line Man Alwyn Palm Line 9 29th June 2018 04:07
Blue Funnel Photographs. Capt.John Bax. Ret. Blue Funnel Line 71 17th November 2013 15:08
blue funnel line bluey Say Hello 6 24th November 2006 19:25



Support SN


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.