A Cunard Query? - Page 4 - Ships Nostalgia
21:37

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

A Cunard Query?

User Tag List

Old 8th January 2019, 12:04

FRANCONIA 1968. Closeup of the course board. Unfortunately not clear enough to read everything, but there seems to be several little boxes on the board under 'Gyro'.

This photo taken at Bermuda. Group of Sea Scouts on board for a tour. The two Deck Boys were the guides. The one in the far back is me. Age 15 as Sea Cadet sailing in the FRANCONIA for three weeks. Great time. Did some steering time too but most of the time was just polishing the brass. Did some steering in QE as well but I didn't remember the course board.

Stephen
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FRANCONIA 1968 SJC.jpg (159.7 KB, 27 views)
Old 24th January 2019, 22:14

I can remember a friend of mine who's father was a "Cunarder" ,Ramsay was his surname,this would have been early 70,s.
Old 24th January 2019, 22:52

Amongst my prized possessions are four armchairs which were made by Waring & Gillow for Cunard's Franconia of 1923. They are of the kind which would be used at a card-table, as opposed to armchairs which might be part of (say) a three-piece suite.

I acquired them in 1968, when each one had, stamped/stencilled on the underside, the legend "Smoking Room - Franconia". Two of them have been re-upholstered and are not for sale. The remaining two still show the stamp underneath and I would be happy to sell them on terms to be agreed. The two which are for sale are upholstered in their original mid-green leatherette. I like to fantasise that WS Churchill might well have occupied either one at some point, complete with a decent brandy.

In 1967 my future father-in-law was on good terms with the caretaker at Cunard Building in Liverpool where, at the same time, many Cunard artefacts were for sale in consequence of Cunard's relocation to Southampton. It was in those circumstances that, shortly afterwards, all four were passed to me.

Anybody who might wish to purchase one (or both) please PM me.

Best wishes,