The Tramps Are Alive? - Ships Nostalgia
11:52

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

The Tramps Are Alive?

User Tag List

Old 11th November 2008, 20:04

The Tramps Are Alive?

Hey guys.

Are any tramp steamers - or tramp vessels, still around??

Cheers.
Haz.
Old 12th November 2008, 00:09

Any cargo ship that isn't on a line voyage - i.e. on a fixed route/schedule - is tramping. Therefore, tramp vessels make up about 90% of the World fleet.
Old 12th November 2008, 18:30

Then what's the point in having a Tramp Steamer section seperate for all else???
Old 12th November 2008, 18:49
user

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazonline View Post
Then what's the point in having a Tramp Steamer section seperate for all else???
I read your message as one of criticism rather than support, but that is maybe my mistake?

Please bear in mind that whilst all Turtles can swim, not all Swimmers are turtles…

So it is, that by having a separate forum for the cargo ships that earned their living as "Tramp Ships", whilst not essential, it allows for threads like Panaghis Vergottis to be put up for the enjoyment and benefit of all; a bit like Members who take the time to place a bit of information in their profile, that is also not essential and we do not criticise those that don’t, but it is a benefit.

Do try to enjoy the Site for what it is....
Old 12th November 2008, 19:07

Quote:
Because there are members of this site who have sailed in the tramp companies Watts Watts, WHSN, etc, etc. The memberships is 'down by the head' with tramp men
Old 12th November 2008, 19:43
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1960 - 1966

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonga View Post
I it allows for threads like Panaghis Vergottis to be put up for the enjoyment and benefit of all
Off the topic, I know, but I did sea trials on that vessel. The owner's rep on board refused to accept that first-time responses to HF R/T test calls from the North Sea to Ocean Gate in the USA and St Lys in the South of France, or morse tests to San Francisco and Sydney Australia, were satisfactory indications that the radio station was working properly. Nothing less than a response on both R/T and morse from ''Athinai Radio'' would do. He argued that after all, the ship would route nearly all its radiocommunications via Athens Radio/SVA, so he had to be sure that the ship's radio was compatible with that station. The ship would probably never use any of the other stations, so he wasn't interested in them. Simple logic (well, definitely simple.)

Never regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many. Don't worry about old age - it doesn't last.
Old 12th November 2008, 20:32
user

My location
Thanks Ron, and I have taken the liberty of copying your post to the other thread as well.

Mark
Old 12th November 2008, 23:31

Ok! Sorry! Twas no intentional insult!
Old 12th November 2008, 23:47
user

My location
Quote:
Ok! Sorry! Twas no intentional insult!
Thanks and I am sorry I took it the wrong way – but it does once again underline the risks of the written word versus the spoken word. With that in mind I would always urge people to add the odd emoticon just to make the point. – After all one can say “that’s great” and mean one thing, and “that’s greatand mean exactly the opposite…
Regards

Mark
Old 13th November 2008, 11:20

There were different levels of Tramp owners. Some were very rough indeed like Irish Shipping whilst other tramps like Watts Watts were a pleasure to sail in but not easy to get a job in. I would say I enjoyed my time in tramps more than in L & H, Harrisons, Blue Star, Blue Flu and other liner companies.
Old 13th November 2008, 16:03

when the three 'Rs' came in, the pool would scatter like wild fire they were reputed to be bad ships to sail in.... Radcliffes Runcimans and Ropners
Old 10th December 2008, 04:47

Dear Trampers,
Do Tramps still accept the occasional passenger, or has modernity limited the opportunity for unscheduled travel?
Old 10th December 2008, 09:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddonner View Post
Dear Trampers,
Do Tramps still accept the occasional passenger, or has modernity limited the opportunity for unscheduled travel?
They all carried their fair share of passengers!
Old 10th December 2008, 10:06
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1960 - 1966

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddonner View Post
Dear Trampers,
Not quite a ''tramp'' experience, but not a cruise liner either. Try this http://www.aws.co.uk/cruises/

Never regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many. Don't worry about old age - it doesn't last.
Old 10th December 2008, 17:26

R651400,

Didn't know Blue Funnel were a tramping outfit.
Old 10th December 2008, 18:14
Active: 1959 - 1979

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Stringer View Post
Not quite a ''tramp'' experience, but not a cruise liner either. Try this http://www.aws.co.uk/cruises/

This one is interesting as well
http://www.strandtravel.co.uk/strand_voyages/index.aspx
Old 10th December 2008, 19:02

I dont know about the three R's but the name Baron or King comes to me.
You would scatter from the Pool when ever one of these were "going through"
As you approached the Pool the conversation would be"Whats going through
boys" any Tramps going was bad news. Fortunately most of the guys that
sailed (no option) on these ships had a bad discharge i.e. Double DR single
DR or V.N.C..This is why the crew was made up of a crowd of "Cowboys".
On the other hand you could have a crowd that wanted to clear their book
and get accepted back onto the Pool as a "good boy"
The story goes the guy was in the Pool and was offered this nice ship the
Barongedes which he accepted when he got down to the ship it turned out
tobe the Baron Geddes!!!

p
Old 19th December 2008, 21:19
Department: Deck
Active: 1953 - 1981

Tramps -v- Liners
Probably Bank Line (Andrew Weir Shipping) was the borderline between the one and the other. Weirs had very many worldwide liner services, Indian-African Line, Oriental African Line, SoPac Service, SAFBank Line (two-way) but many services were one way: India-West Africa (Elder Dempster voyage charter), Calcutta-River Plate Service, India-WCSA Service, U.S.Gulf-Australia Service; U.S.Gulf-New Zealand Service which had to have tramping connecting voyages to link up with one of the other "lines"
Then there were purely tramping voyages like the Phosphase run; River Plate grain and so on.
Breakbulk cargoes nowadays have "parcels" of what used to be tramp cargoes. Bottom stows of steel, forest products, bulk fertilizer, bulk rice, copra with "generals" or heavy lifts or projects on top to fill out the ship. These are invariably "liner" voyages in as much as the operators mount a regular service .
So the distinction of tramp -v- liner is fast disappearing as are the ships designed for such trades having given way to bulk carriers as a recognized class of ship now operating in the so-called tramping trades.
But for the purposes of SN, I would agree that most members know when a ship is a tramp or a liner and which company was regarded as a tramp or liner company. It may have been technically a misnomer but there was very little disagreement which was which and what was not!
Alistair.
Old 9th January 2009, 09:26

Tramps can be tankers I suppose. I was once on a Shell tanker, MS Flammulina that the Tilbury Pool Office told me would be just a short trip to Curacao and home - 6 weeks at the most. I took it. We went to Curacao as promised and then we did a few runs between there and Venezuela. After that through the Panama to Chile and then a few runs between Columbia and Peru. Back through Panama to Aruba and then to Italy and Greece. The Persian Gulf was next and from there to France and back to the Gulf to load for home. More than eight months. Talk about tramping.

Last edited by Arthur Jenner; 9th January 2009 at 09:43..
Old 9th February 2009, 16:00

some companies prided themselves as tramps. I served my apprenticeship
with Stag Line,who used the logo "handy tramps" on correspondence.
Passengers were often carried.I know of a number of pre-sea students
from South Shields marine college who did a trip for experience during holidays.
Kudu.
Old 1st April 2009, 01:29

My location
I was on the USNS Towle three times between 1977-79, as Third Mate and, later, as Second Mate. The Towle was the last of the Military Sealift Command's Victory Cargo Ships, and had seen almost no modernization since World War II.

She was the closest thing to a tramp freighter I was ever on, or probably ever will be. During the period I was on the Towle every voyage we made was supposed to be the last. However, somehow the powers-that-be always managed to find one more cargo just before we got back. We never knew what part of the world we'd be going to next, or what sort of cargo we'd be called upon to carry. One trip we would carry ammunition to the West Coast of South America, and the next we'd transport a load of trucks to Yemen. I learned more about seamanship, cargo handling and navigation on that old ship than I ever did in four years as a cadet. What a shame it is that today's officers will never have an opportunity like that!
Old 1st April 2009, 02:39
Spongebob
Department: Engineering
Active: 1957 - 1961

I once went on board a "real" tramp, an old Liberty ship that was apparently owned by a crew syndicate and others and was tramping the world. We were in Apia Western Samoa in the late 50's loading bananas when we met a couple of the tramp's engineers ashore and accepted an invitation to go on board for a couple of Becks beers.
She was basic in all respects, a very rusty hull and upper works and the accommodation was still "as built" for the wartime role. The engine room was a little better, a neat and tidy triple expansion steam engine with all the brass bright but never the less she looked very schooner rigged.
They had shipped a cargo from the States to American Samoa then W.S and was moored hoping for a load for elsewhere. I don't think that she would have had much luck as apart from fruit and copra not much came out of the islands in those days except that shipped by scheduled lines and she would have had to steam in non paying ballast to a more lucrative shore.
Apparently these ships were very cheap to buy then but dear to run and I imagine that a lot of these post war gamblers lost out in the long run. I recall it stirred the adventure genes for a while but looking back it must have been a hard and uncertain l way to earn a living.

Bob
Old 5th April 2009, 22:44
KIWI
Department: Engineering
Active: 1949 - 1955

My location
Sailed on a Norwegian Liberty tramp & its cargoes over sixteen months were as follows.Laurenco Marks to Wellington NZ with coal.Wellington to Vancouver ballast.Vancouver Sydney Adelaide lumber.Port Lincoln Bombay grain.Bombay Karachi ballast.Karachi Hong Kong Tsingtao cotton.Dairen peanuts 500 tons thenChingwangtow soyabean cakes to Rotterdam.Left.Reading the ships log book was a case of "i've been everywhere man". KIWI
Old 11th April 2009, 11:09
Organisation: Other Merchant Fleets
Department: Deck
Active: 1959 - 1974

What is it with you Brits and this hang-up about the ddistingtion of Tramps and Liners?
As said at the beginning of this Thread, 90% of all world shipping is tramping.
There is no "liners" as we knew it left. Aside from a few large Container ships and a few others, like ferries and Cruise Ships, (which is mostly square ugly boxes, with few exceptions) on regular runs.
I remember talking to a Brit some 30 years ago who said; "some of friend have gone tramping" in a negative tone of voice
When I asked with which company, he replied; Maersk.
Maersk is the larges "liner company" in the world and the majority of the britishliner companies has packed in, gone bust or gone tramping.
Old 11th April 2009, 11:25

Tramping was how Arthur Jenner describes it here (No 21)
That was the great thing about it you had absolutely no idea of what would happen next or just when you were likely to get off. Absolute heaven for a young man !!!!! Probably some of my best trips were on the SD 14 Cargo boats , shunned by many as "pretty basic" but boy did they end up in some exotic places!!!!!