Female Radio Officers - Page 6 - Ships Nostalgia
18:56

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Female Radio Officers

User Tag List

Old 19th January 2016, 06:00

I may have overlooked this in an earlier post, but we had one female R/O in Cunard-Brocklebanks by the name of Margaret Rabbets. She was my junior for one trip but I can't recall whether it was a Brock's or ACT ship.
Old 22nd May 2016, 01:07

Hello Cunarder (Alan)
Reference female Radio Officers I believe there were two of them both joining company at same time.
One of them was Ms Rabbetts and other name I cannot remember but know one of them Joined Port Chalmers and other one joined
Port Caroline for their 1st Trips as J/R/O with Brocks.
regards and 73's de freddythefrog
Old 22nd May 2016, 01:23
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1971 - 1991

My location
We had two at NCRS, one was, if I remember correctly, from Norway and again, if I remember correctly, her name was Jocelyn Parker. The other was, again memory serves me ill, Sylvia Slatterey (spelling?) who went to work with BP.
We also had a student, memory again, Barbara or Margaret Sudsworth, I do not recall if she finised the course.
All this around 1971/2.

Regards, Jmac.
Old 8th December 2016, 20:01
Active: 1971 - 1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by terval View Post
Greetings one and all. I sailed with Dallas or Big D as I called her in 1979 on the Scotspark for 4 months. The best way to get any peace was to ask her if she was still 165lbs?? That gave us 48 hours peace. Seriously she was a good R/O and did her job well. I understand she was in the Guiness Book of records as the first female R/O in the British Merchant Navy. The first female at sea that I can remember hearing about was a Second Engineer during the first world war. Dallas was good at the dots but the dashes foxed her!!! Last I heard she was living in North Wales and has a gammy left leg. No more climbing up Pilot ladders.
Merry Xmas all and have a good new year.
Terry 556919.
I was browsing stuff and came across this thread from years ago.

My discharge book shows I joined the Scotspark at Cape Town 27th October 1974 leaving it in Rotterdam 15th November 1974.

As I lived Essex at that time and recently back home on leave I was contacted by Stan Padfield to urgently fly out to Cape Town. I was told the R/O had been taken off and the ship could not leave until I got there. I did get there via Joberg and Cape Town and a rapid taxi drive out to the docks from the airport. I was bundled on a launch which headed out to sea. Apparently the old man was told I was in the airport and upped the anchor and went steaming off. Eventually the launch caught up and if people can imagine the swell that's down that part of the world then you will be able to visualise what happened. As the ship rolled and the launch went up the side on the swell my kit was thrown on the deck. On the next roll and the launch riding up the side I was bodily thrown on board! It all happened so quickly I did not have time to be scared.

Anyway to get to why all the rush. The absent R/O was female unfortunately I don't remember the name of the lady. The ship was on passage from Aussie to Europe and I was told somewhere before Cape Town she became unwell. I recall reading the radio log book, everything was okay after leaving the loading port, all the watches and communications were recorded as they should be and then imperceptedly at first the hand writing changed. It grew erratic and hard to read and then just a scrawl over the page.

I was told she had to be taken off at Cape Town.

It was forty two years ago now and as I said I don't recall her name but from the posts in this thread I guess it could potentially have been Dallas Bradshaw as presumably there were not many female R/O's employed around that time by Marconi.

If Dallas should read this and was the lady in question or even if it was a different person then I don't mean any disrespect as I was not on the ship when whatever occurred happened. I do know though it was a hairy moment for me.

Rvator
Old 8th December 2016, 21:25

My location
I take it that this is the same Dallas Bradshaw?

http://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-25-...-20407872.html

Brian
Old 8th December 2016, 21:55
Department: Engineering
Active: 1973 - 1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by beedeesea View Post

Brian
Yes, that's Dallas. Sailed with her on the Eden Bridge (Denholms) first half of 1976.
Old 9th December 2016, 03:46

Re Rvator's post 2001

It happened the other way too. I had had 10days leave when I was phoned beginning, 79 and told they needed a RE/O to fly out to Capetown fast to relieve a RE/O they needed to get off supertanker fast . Told me they had tried everybody else so I agreed. I joined by chopper though. I was direct employed by company. Just after joining I was told a certain engineer from previous company I had been direct employed with and had sailed with had told them all I was the biggest snob going when they found out who was joining. News to me. I think the real reason was that on a previous ship with him in 76 with previous company I joined ship which had had no R/O on board for 3 months while being repaired from big fatal fire and all aft accommodation had been gutted. The radio room midships had been taken over as the engineers changing room and when I arrived Scaramanga I was told by chief engineer I shouldn't be in it. I thought otherwise and sat there working my way through mounds of the ALRES corrections regardless of them and cleaned up the unholy dirty mess it was left in. Little mighty mouse was standing her ground.

There was a female R/O finishing her junior time on P and O ship I was told at anchor Piraeus when I joined. I guessed she was probably having a more civilised time than I was. Radio offs cabin didn't have its own toilet for example. So woman weren't necessarily given preferential treatment. Quite the opposite sometimes.
Old 9th December 2016, 04:47

I don't know if the name Olive J. Carroll has been mentioned yet anywhere. She wrote a book about her experiences as a wireless operator: "Deep Sea 'Sparks': A Canadian Girl in the Norwegian Merchant Navy,'" Cordillera Publish Company, Vancouver, 1993. She was on the M.V. Siranger in the early 50's. Lots of details and photos in the book.
Old 9th December 2016, 06:06

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by beedeesea View Post

http://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-25-...-20407872.html

Brian
I met her on the Scotstoun during the big west coast longshoremen's strike of 1971, I had made some friends and was on board a few times, she wasn't unattractive, but I never saw her like this photo.
Old 9th December 2016, 08:29
Active: 1975 - 1978

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucyKnight View Post
Re Rvator's post 2001

It happened the other way too. I had had 10days leave when I was phoned beginning, 79 and told they needed a RE/O to fly out to Capetown fast to relieve a RE/O they needed to get off supertanker fast . Told me they had tried everybody else so I agreed. I joined by chopper though. I was direct employed by company. Just after joining I was told a certain engineer from previous company I had been direct employed with and had sailed with had told them all I was the biggest snob going when they found out who was joining. News to me. I think the real reason was that on a previous ship with him in 76 with previous company I joined ship which had had no R/O on board for 3 months while being repaired from big fatal fire and all aft accommodation had been gutted. The radio room midships had been taken over as the engineers changing room and when I arrived Scaramanga I was told by chief engineer I shouldn't be in it. I thought otherwise and sat there working my way through mounds of the ALRES corrections regardless of them and cleaned up the unholy dirty mess it was left in. Little mighty mouse was standing her ground.

There was a female R/O finishing her junior time on P and O ship I was told at anchor Piraeus when I joined. I guessed she was probably having a more civilised time than I was. Radio offs cabin didn't have its own toilet for example. So woman weren't necessarily given preferential treatment. Quite the opposite sometimes.
Hi Lucy, yes that was my Junior R/O, Linda Crumbly, the ship was the "Cumberland" and we were at anchor off Piraeus for about 6 weeks with a cargo of frozen lamb from NZ. Linda was a good lass, hailed from Blackpool as I recall, I got transferred to the Makaria in Piraeus as their sparky had been taken off sick, don't know what happened to Linda after that.
Bill
Old 10th December 2016, 10:14
Department: Purser
Active: 1966 - 1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by exsailor View Post
Mid 70's, NZ Shipping Corp had a female Sparks, who sailed on both the coastal and UK run vessels. I sailed with her brother, a Third Engineer, with Whitco Marine, London.
What`s your real name ex-sailor and when were you with Whitco?
Old 12th December 2016, 05:34
Active: 1980 - 1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayday View Post
We had two at NCRS, one was, if I remember correctly, from Norway and again, if I remember correctly, her name was Jocelyn Parker. The other was, again memory serves me ill, Sylvia Slatterey (spelling?) who went to work with BP.

Regards, Jmac.

Slyvia married an engineer from BP called Roger Timms (top bloke - we worked together). An old shipmate of mine also sailed with Slyvia.

Small world.

I was relieved on the Lake Barrine/VLLB by a female R/O, Heather Yarnton (whom I knew well from college). From memory, she was the only female R/O on the Aussie coast. She married a mate from BHP.
Old 12th December 2016, 21:47
Active: 1966 - 1986

Sylvia was my junior on the Br Esk in 1975.
Old 15th February 2018, 12:46

When I was at Southampton College of Technology getting my ticket in 1973 there was a fellow RO trainee by the name of Miss Fortune. I do not know how things turned out for her.
Old 16th February 2018, 09:10
Department: Deck
Active: 1959 - 1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynter View Post
I remember speeking (QSO'ing) with various female Scandinavian R/Os in the late 50'/60's. The only Pommie female sparkie to my knowledge was trained in Bridlington, East Yorks, as I was and I think her name was Angela... never met her.
On this subject.... I thoroughly used to enjoy speeking with the European female ops in Holland, Demark, Sweden and Norway on R/T 2182 kc/s band..... memories,eh...?????
I sailed with a female r/o on MV. " Newport " in 1976.

She was a right piss artiste. Hooked up with the Choff.

Can't remember their names.

Laurie.
Old 20th April 2018, 04:24

Female R/O in NZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Christiansen View Post
The radio officers name was Phillippa Reynolds. After languishing on the Coastal Trader for long enough to have the sauna room named after her, she was finally allowed to go deepsea. Not sure what happened in her career when sconz folded.
Phillippa worked for the Union Steamship Co - know she was on the Union Auckland/GUNY at one time.

Dont know where she is now.

I was in the RNZN - did a lot of time at ZLO between 68 and 75 - then worked at ZLB/ZLC from 75 to 89 - Then VIS from 89 to 91/92 - then worked for Telstra and a phone and data tech.

Now retired

Tony Magon VK2IC

Sydney
Old 20th December 2018, 20:24

Pioneer RO Angela Firman

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynter View Post
I remember speeking (QSO'ing) with various female Scandinavian R/Os in the late 50'/60's. The only Pommie female sparkie to my knowledge was trained in Bridlington, East Yorks, as I was and I think her name was Angela... never met her.
On this subject.... I thoroughly used to enjoy speeking with the European female ops in Holland, Demark, Sweden and Norway on R/T 2182 kc/s band..... memories,eh...?????
It was Angela Firman; she passed exams but couldn't get onto British ships, hence the Scandinavian choice. It was the same for Canadian women in WW2: not allowed on UK ships.
Angela's relative Rose King in the 1970s became an RO - and did sail.
Old 21st December 2018, 09:25
Department: Deck
Active: 1967 - 1976

My location
In the 1960's -70's I sailed on a few Norwegian ships with female Radio operators but they were all Norwegian....

Cheers Frank
Old 21st December 2018, 16:10

She was only a radio operator, but she didit cos her dada didit
Old 22nd December 2018, 05:41

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by john24601 View Post
She was only a radio operator, but she didit cos her dada didit
Is daht so?
Old 2nd September 2019, 18:10
Active: 1964 - 1976

Hi,.. I have the dubious pleasure of being Relieved by the first female Marconi R/O,...Dallas was her name...( maybe Relieved is the wrong word,..lets say,.. Replaced...):,, the Ore carrier I was on,.. Sir Andrew Duncan I think,..one of Denholms,.. and she, Dallas, was joining the ship, while I went home on Leave...The Marconi House magazine, (Mariner?) covered her training and appointment.. There may have been Others, in other companies, but Dallas was the first in Marconi as far as I know....Dunno where she went; .. when I returned to re-join the ship,...it had been delayed up in Murmansk, and so Marconi offered me Naess Champion, currently in Japan,... or another Ore Carrier,.. the re-named Dunblane...Never saw / heard of Dallas again,...
Old 2nd September 2019, 18:47

Dallas Bradshaw.
Merchant Navy's first woman radio officer. Jr. R/O. Joined DUNCRAIG 19 August, 1970. Canadian from Victoria BC. She was a former Photographer and journalist.
Old 2nd September 2019, 20:55
Active: 1964 - 1976

Yep,.. That's thats girl. (Where did I get Dunblane from?.. must be an Age thing,.) . the Duncraig was docking in Birkenhead,.. I was due an arranged Leave,..thinking another Sparks would be there I would hand over to... Then the word came that my Relief was to be Dallas,....so,..I "extra" tidied the R/room, and my Cabin,...as you do...as I said,.. never saw or heard of her again... ships that pass in the night I spose... Thanks for that info Stephen.
Old 2nd September 2019, 22:26

DUNBLANE. One of the big DUN boats. I think she was in the fleet in the 70's but not long. Will have to look up the fleet list.

Stephen
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dunblane-02.jpg (158.1 KB, 14 views)
Old 3rd September 2019, 00:08

DUNBLANE Built 1955 as REDCAR

To J&J& Denholm 1971, sold 1973.

Thanks to Bill J. Harvey (DENHOLM - A Group Fleet History.)

Stephen