About time I said Hello. - Ships Nostalgia
01:54

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

About time I said Hello.

User Tag List

Old 17th September 2006, 09:15

My location
About time I said Hello.

I've been enjoying my visits to SN and thought it was time I said hello. I am an ex Mercury boy - 4465 - there between 1957 and 1961, and went to sea with Moor Line as an apprentice. After a short period ashore in '61 I went to Decca overseas projects and spent some time on the early North Sea oil survey vessels working out of Grimsby and European ports. Spent some time at Decca's monitoring station in the Shetlands and eventually moved on to Lab Navigation in the Bahamas using Shoran navigation equipment. Came to Australia with Lab Nav and eventually settled here in 1968. Now that retirement has arrived I have time to look back at the great years of British shipping and yearn for what has been lost. I guess I am a sentimentalist at heart and find todays world not much to my liking, but taking the good with the bad the internet has made available information the average person would never had access to, so thanks for the opportunity to visit those wonderful years before political correctness ruled the waves. Best wishes to all. Anthony Legg
Old 17th September 2006, 09:58

Anthony
Welcome to this wonderful site and enjoy all it has to offer.
Am also ex Decca but spent my thirteen years at the Newcastle Depot
Best wishes
Bert
Old 17th September 2006, 10:11
user

My location
A warm welcome to SN, Anthony. I hope you get many hours of enjoyment out of it.
Old 17th September 2006, 10:30
Organisation: Coastguard
Active: 2001 - Present

Welcome aboard, Tony, from Shetland. Were you based at the station at the north end of Lerwick?

Skol
CED
Old 17th September 2006, 10:42
gdynia gdynia is offline   SN Supporter
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1970 - 2010

My location
Welcome onboard to SN and enjoy your time on site
Old 17th September 2006, 10:43
user

My location
Anthony, a warm welcome to you. Enjoy the site and all SN has to offer; we look forward to your postings. Bon Voyage
Old 17th September 2006, 11:17
Gulpers Gulpers is offline   SN Supporter
ex-Denholm Moderator
Department: Navigation
Active: 1972 - 1981

My location
Smile Welcome

Anthony,
A warm welcome to the site from Anglesey. I guarantee you will thoroughly enjoy the SN experience!
You will certainly spark many happy memories when you have a chance to explore our threads further and, who knows, you may even re-establish contact with old shipmates. Good luck!
Old 17th September 2006, 13:25
Organisation: Royal Navy
Active: 1976 - 1988

Welcome, Anthony, Good to have you aboard.
I hope you enjoy the site.
Rgds
Paid it in full”
Old 17th September 2006, 16:32
Department: Engineering
Active: 1952 - 1965

Welcome Anthony to the site from the south of England, plenty of ex sparks on here, enjoy the experience.
Old 17th September 2006, 19:23

My location
Another welcome from the North of England.

Glad you have come out of the closet and started posting. Don't worry - the members don't bite - most of them have no teeth!

You will be pleased to hear that we are not very politically correct here.

Plenty of sentimentalists here too - you will be in good company.

Regards,

Brian
Old 18th September 2006, 01:55

My location
Great introduction Anthony, I think you'll find many members here who agree with the emotions you stated. Hope you keep on enjoying the site and the nostalgia it engenders.
Old 18th September 2006, 02:47

Hello one and all.
I am ex-Pan-Ocean Anco Ltd but my time at sea was cut short due to a spinal Injury that has left me paraplegic. I sailed on many vessels but the best times were on Anco Templar, Anco Sceptre and Anco Empress. If anyone remembers me (Carl Gooch - Navigation) whilst serving with Pan-Ocean I would love to hear from them as I am writting a book about my life and my time at sea was important to me!
Many thanks in advance to all - Great site. I have many phots of my time at sea with Pan-Ocean, including the time we rescued a vessel on fire in the Red Sea @ May 1981 on board Anco Templar.
Old 18th September 2006, 06:52

My location
Followup.

Thanks for the welcome to SN, I'm sure I am going to enjoy the experiance. I was reluctant to introduce myself, being a bit of a reclusive hermit, but I've broken the ice. With regards to my time with Decca, which would have been around 1964/65, I was based initially at ( I think ) Wylen Garden City or somewhere close and did my training down on the SW coast, memeory fails me on actual location. From there joined went to Grimsby and the hi-fix monitoring station in an old caravan in the fish docks. Then to a survey ship that used a 'SHOOTIN BOAT' to drop 44 gall drums of fertilizer to create an explosion, we plotted the positions. Whilst working off the Humber I recall a tanker making for Hull cutting the geophone cable, and a charge exploding under the stern of our vessel, blowing out the stern gland packing, the vessel sank on her moorings in the fish harbour that night!!
The location in the Shetlands was a monitoring station at Dunrossness, mid way between Sandwick and Sumburgh. I was located in a farm house just off the main road overlooking the sea. The owners of the farm made me very welcome and I came to enjoy the company of the islanders, maany of whom had never visited the mainland. Anyway thanks for the welcome, Kindest Regards to all. Tony
Old 18th September 2006, 22:06

Hi Anthony,

Enjoy yourself and the site, I'm sure you'll find many happy memories amongst the SN crew.

Rushie
Old 19th September 2006, 15:27

Have fun on the site we do, Welome to are band of merchant navy and not forgetting the RN lad Bob