The Clan Is Gathering....... - Page 2 - Ships Nostalgia
06:03

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

The Clan Is Gathering.......

User Tag List

Old 23rd April 2009, 09:29
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1977 - 1988

Ian.
The lecky I'm thinking of was called Jack, an older chap from London. I sailed with Keith Rowe who was lecky on the Nosira Lin.
I was on the Nosira Lin when the rudder pintle bearing shattered going into Sept Isles; a big bang and a few 'what the **** was that' looks in the control room.
Next trip,I was on the Reynolds when we got hit by the 'Finn Forest' while coming down the Seine, more WTFWT looks!
Old 23rd April 2009, 12:25

My location
Ian,

Further to an earlier post, I was on deck.

Ribblehead Apprentice Aug 1959-March 1960
Romanic Apprentice May 1960-January 1961
Rievaulx Apprentice February 1961- October 1961
Ruysdael Apprentice October 1961-April 1962
Rievaulx Apprentice May 1961- November 1962
Ripon Apprentice January 1963-March 1963
Rembrandt 3rd Mate October 1963-December

Salary slips for the Romanic I have are confusing as we spent a lot of time waiting and not on articles. Seamens strike in Liverpool and laid up a bit in Glasgow. Seemed to get paid run money in addition to normal pay 6/4p per day and overtime 2/- per hour.

Ian
Old 23rd April 2009, 17:10
Active: 1968 - 1994

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad21 View Post
Hi Ian
You spelled my name wrong!!! its Davey Caton no N in the middle. not that anyone would know me.
Ooops! Sorry Davey. List corrected and SN I.D.s added:

Revised "crew list" below:

Kevin Bird - Catering - Kev Bird
Jonathan Bregazzi - Engineer - Spanner
Davey Caton - Deck - nomad21
Gordon Carey - Electrician
Derek Chapman - Chippy - tiachapman
Peter Charnley - Engineer - P. Charnley
Nick Chell - Engineer
Simon Coate - Deck - Simon C
Chris Cooke - Deck
Jim Cooper - Master
Howard Cox - Engineer - cubpilot
Peter Davidson - Engineer
Keith Fulker - Deck
David Fullwood - Master
Malcolm Gator - Deck
Lloyd Housley - Engineer - Lloyd Housley
Ian Huckin - Engineer - Ian J. Huckin
Geoff Long - Deck
Jim Parker - Deck - jimtar17
Phil Pick - Engineer
Peter Sandvid - Engineer
Ian Stockbridge - Deck - Baltic Wal
Stuart Tait - Engineer
Terry Upson - Deck
Colin Wilson - Deck

(25)

Best wishes all,

Ian

Last edited by Ian J. Huckin; 23rd April 2009 at 17:22..
Old 23rd April 2009, 17:33

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanner View Post
Ian.
The lecky I'm thinking of was called Jack, an older chap from London. I sailed with Keith Rowe who was lecky on the Nosira Lin.
I was on the Nosira Lin when the rudder pintle bearing shattered going into Sept Isles; a big bang and a few 'what the **** was that' looks in the control room.
Next trip,I was on the Reynolds when we got hit by the 'Finn Forest' while coming down the Seine, more WTFWT looks!
O.K. Jon, I have it now...he was a right plonker...Last night I awoke and remembered it was Keith Rowe and Dick Ballantine who were the leckies I sailed with most.

Keith, Richard Avenin (Mate) and myself shared digs up in Sunderland when standing by the Nosira new buildings. We started brewing our own beer. Man, I got so hammered one day I was as sick as I have ever been. The last thing I remember of that night was leaving a restaurant and I leaned over a table of about six people to tell the daughter, I guess, how good she looked. Well, when I leaned forward I just kept going and collapsed on their table, wine and food everywhere. It all went very dim after that!!!!!

Check out "Billy1963" he was on Reynolds when in collision with Finn Forest too.

Back to you later about your pintle bearing experience....

Ian
Old 24th April 2009, 16:26

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian J. Huckin View Post
Check out "Billy1963" he was on Reynolds when in collision with Finn Forest too.

Back to you later about your pintle bearing experience....

Ian
Jon, I just started a thread called "Your best repair at sea" check it out....
Old 25th April 2009, 11:07
Active: 1966 - 2005

My location
A Good Start

Remember the ore carrier saloons? My first trip was for 6 weeks during the college summer holidays and we (my fellow cadet Pete Foreman and I) were sent to join the Ribblehead in Cardif. We arrived in time for lunch and were allocated our places at the after end of the 'Engineers table' on the starboard side. The port side table being for the Mates and the small centre table was reserved for the 'Famous Four' (Skipper, Chief, C/O and 2/E).
A year later and we were assigned to Redcar for more vacational training and again arrived in time for lunch. By now, being old hands, we knew that the Officers Smoke Room was the place to introduce ourselves and get a (free?) pre-lunch pint in the process. This time instead of the usual Sparkie serving behind the bar there was a Leading Steward from Blythe. I forget his name but he spoke incomprehensible geordie through a huge black handlebar moustache whilst serving and regaling the assembly with much wit and repartie. Come time to wander through to eat he whispered to us "Yours is the little table in the centre boys"
Now everyone loves to help a cadet get himself into bother through his own inexperience and stupidity but not us boys... oh no. I smelled a rat straight away and said to Pete as we scudded up the alleyway to be first in.
"That little Geordie bugger is trying to get us into the doodoo first day here, fancy thinking we'd fall for that old trick!!"
So we duly sat starboard table aft as per Rubbleheap a year previously and were almost immediatelt turfed out of our seats by the irate Chief and Second, who's seats we were in, to go sit at the central Cadets table!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg saloon.jpg (75.8 KB, 67 views)

By the time you have money to burn all the fires will have gone out.

Last edited by Lloyd Housley; 25th April 2009 at 11:18..
Old 25th April 2009, 14:03

Hi Ian.
Couldn't find the 'Your best repair at sea' thread. In my case, I think it was my suitcase handle though I was involved in replumbing one of the Main Engine purifiers to handle the worst gas oil I've ever seen. It was on the Nosira Sharon and we'd bunkered in Phily. The poor gas oil purifier wouldn't last more than 5 minutes before waxing up.
Old 25th April 2009, 17:10

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloyd Housley View Post
Remember the ore carrier saloons?
Hello Lloyd.

The Ore Carrier saloons were pretty special were'nt they? how nice the engraved glass doors at the entrance were. I had to sit right aft as App., the unemployed sat right up fwd.

I seem to remember the bars better. Did they have the beer dispensers when you started? You were a year ahead of me and they were gone by the time I got onboard. I do remember being on Ribblehead over Christmas one year in the N. Atlantic when a "spare" barrel of beer broke loose and we could not get a hold of it.

Ship was throwing around all over and the barrel demolished most of the furniture in the bar then went out the door across the alleyway and into the seconds cabin. I think we lashed it down in there while he was still in his bunk.

Talking apprentices, what ever happened to Graham Skinner, and keep it polite :-) I remember he once located a really remote and awkward to reach valve in a generator fuel line and shut it. He was 3/E and when the gen could not be started he thrust himself to the front and "found" the closed valve and saved the day....no comment.

Last edited by Ian J. Huckin; 25th April 2009 at 17:33..
Old 25th April 2009, 17:22

My location
Quote:
Hi Ian.
Couldn't find the 'Your best repair at sea' thread.
Hello Jon,

Have not started it yet as I want to attach some pics and I am working on getting a scanner. Over here in Kodiak we have very few shops and prices are stupidly high. There is a Walmart though and I will go check out there for one.

Re: waxy D.O. - had a similar instance when 2/E on the Reynolds after bunkering in Commie China. Should have known we were in for trouble when I saw the drip drip drip from the filling line in the purifier cleaning tank had formed a stalagmite of wax on the bottom of the tank!

Trouble is the wax has a high calorific value so, when in suspension, is good, but when it precipitates out........kept all the D.O. as hot as we could and purified it at about 50 deg C and re-circed the day tank.

Minimal problems really but was concerned for M.E. as when stopped on D.O. could not trace heat the fuel lines with T.F. due to all the leaks.

Hey, you know what it is like....it all really does work out in the end (imshallah!)
Old 25th April 2009, 17:53

My location
Lloyd,

Things must have changed, although I cannot vouch for the Redcar, on the other three there was no such thing as a bar, and for an apprentice to be given beer was unthinkable. The only time we were allowed to buy alcohol was a bottle of spirits to take home.

There were two officers smoke rooms, midships for the deck and aft for the engineers. the midsgips was next to the apprentices cabin and was too small for the bar. The engineers was in different places aft and on the Ribblehead was on the top deck, on the Rievaulx this was the Chief Engineers cabin.

We always eat on the port table with the 2nd & 3rd Mates and the 2 Sparkies. This was before the days of Engineer Cadets.
Old 25th April 2009, 22:29

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baltic Wal View Post
Lloyd,

Things must have changed, although I cannot vouch for the Redcar, on the other three there was no such thing as a bar, and for an apprentice to be given beer was unthinkable. The only time we were allowed to buy alcohol was a bottle of spirits to take home.

There were two officers smoke rooms, midships for the deck and aft for the engineers. the midsgips was next to the apprentices cabin and was too small for the bar. The engineers was in different places aft and on the Ribblehead was on the top deck, on the Rievaulx this was the Chief Engineers cabin.

We always eat on the port table with the 2nd & 3rd Mates and the 2 Sparkies. This was before the days of Engineer Cadets.
Hi Baltic Wal, well thank goodness things had changed when I got there!! On all four old smokers the Aft Smoke Room was really the Engineers Bar since that's where they all lived (or at least that's what we all thought at the time!). Up midships you could hardly hear the heart beat and could almost believe you were on a desert island, whereas down aft you could almost believe you were living next to a pub. Yes Ian, I also witnessed a keg do the rounds of demolition as did the cat who tried to chase it all around the bar but jump to safety whenever it looked like being steam rollered.

By the time I got there (1967) apprentices were welcome in the bar provided they didn't spend more than a 1 per day (DD was approx. 5d per pint (surely not!!)

Thanks Ian, by the way, for the picture of Rievaulx saloon which looks lots smaller than I remember but very smart nonetheless.

Last edited by Lloyd Housley; 25th April 2009 at 22:46..
Old 25th April 2009, 23:39

My location
Quote:
(DD was approx. 5d per pint (surely not!!)
Hey Lloyd,

With DD at 5d a pint do you realize it took being on an old Ore-Carrier to be as close to paradise as we would ever get?

We were trying to remember the name of a third mate some time back, it came to me in a nightmare not so long ago....Dave Spellman....or "Spellbound" I seem to remember he could only play Alice's Restaurant on his guitar.

Another thing Lloyd, do you remember Rievaulx June 1972 when we had my 21st birthday alongside in MicMac (Murmansk) I'm sure you do, I was on your watch as App. and you kicked me out to go have my party. Also there was Sammy, Peggy, Taff and the M'bro Chief Steward Alan ? I think Anglepoise was old man and 2/E was the guy with glasses like bottle bottoms. Thomas Oliver James Alphonso Gibson was, I think, 3/E You would have been 4/E Them Ore Carriers seem to blend together a bit.

I was told "you pay for the beer 'till the sun goes down" Me not knowing that at that time of year in MicMac the sun does not go down. That was an expensive three days until we sailed,

Best wishes chum,

Ian
Old 26th April 2009, 01:50

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baltic Wal View Post
There were two officers smoke rooms, midships for the deck and aft for the engineers. the midsgips was next to the apprentices cabin and was too small for the bar.
I remember that Mid-Ships Smoke room now. On the Rievaulx it was outbd stbd and had a library. Just aft of it was a crapper and down a deck to the tunnel. To the port side of the Apps Cabin was the 2/O's cabin because I remember a great 2/O called Charlie Ingham, me and Tiny (Geordie app. Graham Tate) used to listen to him bang his wife when we hit U.K. ports (Sorry Charlie)

Lloyd mentioned the smell of the mid-ship "thunderbox" did it strike you as un usual??? I remember N. Atlantic it would roar and pump back undescribable odors......Then, going aft the ever increasing heat, noise and smell of the engine room....always have been drawn to that....amongst other things!!!!!
Old 26th April 2009, 08:41

My location
Next to the crapper was the was room, where we had the Hoover Tanglemaster, where everything came out in a knot. Also the Apprentices study opposite the 2nd Mates cabin.

The only time it smelt like a brewery midships was when the Chief Steward was watering down the rum syrup.
Old 26th April 2009, 10:10

My location
Quote:
Hey Lloyd,

With DD at 5d a pint do you realize it took being on an old Ore-Carrier to be as close to paradise as we would ever get?

We were trying to remember the name of a third mate some time back, it came to me in a nightmare not so long ago....Dave Spellman....or "Spellbound" I seem to remember he could only play Alice's Restaurant on his guitar.

Another thing Lloyd, do you remember Rievaulx June 1972 when we had my 21st birthday alongside in MicMac (Murmansk) I'm sure you do, I was on your watch as App. and you kicked me out to go have my party. Also there was Sammy, Peggy, Taff and the M'bro Chief Steward Alan ? I think Anglepoise was old man and 2/E was the guy with glasses like bottle bottoms. Thomas Oliver James Alphonso Gibson was, I think, 3/E You would have been 4/E Them Ore Carriers seem to blend together a bit.

I was told "you pay for the beer 'till the sun goes down" Me not knowing that at that time of year in MicMac the sun does not go down. That was an expensive three days until we sailed,

Best wishes chum,

Ian
Haha yes I remember that do and all the folk you mention. I came off watch in time to see you open your bottle of shampoo, the cork flying out, hitting the deckhead and bouncing back down on your head with such a force that you fell over much to the raucous delight of the assembled well wishers.
Midnight in Mipmac eh? First trip I ever did there we had to strap the 3 bar fire from the Old Man's cabin to the radar gearbox to thaw it out and get it running before we could leave!

Best wishes to you mate, damn fine days eh.

Lloyd

Last edited by Lloyd Housley; 26th April 2009 at 10:13..
Old 26th April 2009, 10:22

My location
Quote:
I remember that Mid-Ships Smoke room now. On the Rievaulx it was outbd stbd and had a library. Just aft of it was a crapper and down a deck to the tunnel. To the port side of the Apps Cabin was the 2/O's cabin because I remember a great 2/O called Charlie Ingham, me and Tiny (Geordie app. Graham Tate) used to listen to him bang his wife when we hit U.K. ports (Sorry Charlie)

Lloyd mentioned the smell of the mid-ship "thunderbox" did it strike you as un usual??? I remember N. Atlantic it would roar and pump back undescribable odors......Then, going aft the ever increasing heat, noise and smell of the engine room....always have been drawn to that....amongst other things!!!!!
Oh yes, I remember Charlie, big smiley guy, blonde hair? West country? Any way I can see his face now and I haven't thought of him for nearly 40 years. We had a professional 3rd on Rubbleheap I think, a Glaswegian called Dougie who'a blue boiler suit could stand in a corner on it's own I swear. In port when his wife was aboard he used to go up to the bridge for an old chart "Tae mak wee joints wie" every day before smokoe and rumour had it that it was for banging his wife through so he didn't have to take off the manky boilie!!

Old 26th April 2009, 10:30

My location
[QUOTE=Lloyd Housley;315966]Oh yes, I remember ......./QUOTE]

Lloyd, old friend, old brother old pal.....tell us all about your parrot on the Ribera hmmmmmmm??

I was not there but the story is strong and proud....... Actually I believe there were two....George and Albert???......
Old 26th April 2009, 11:11

My location
[QUOTE=Ian J. Huckin;315969]
Quote:
Oh yes, I remember ......./QUOTE]

Lloyd, old friend, old brother old pal.....tell us all about your parrot on the Ribera hmmmmmmm??

I was not there but the story is strong and proud....... Actually I believe there were two....George and Albert???......
Ian,
Fred and Albert they were. Mine was Albert and Ian Ferrier 4/E was Fred's 'dad'. It was Fred who was the real character of the two and there are several stories really. The one you may be refering to was in Ribera at Osaka IHH(?) drydock where we were made our local a small bar in a nearby district called Diumbashi (probably spelled wrong). It wasn't a girlie bar (had we turned gay?) no, we were in dry dock for the long haul so found a cost effective local that could be a base for occasional forrays to the aforesaid. The lassies behind the bar were lovely and got to hear about the parrots and wanted to see them.
So one evening off we set from the yard on our 'borrowed' bicycles with Fred sitting on the handle bars shouting and bawling at all and sundry and singing "Juanita" at the top of his voice.
He was an instant success in the bar, running up and down on the bar top singing and shouting between sips from all the glasses he passed. The girls were tickled pink and the more they laughed the more Fred performed.
After a couple or three a few of us went off to explore only to return a couple of hours later to a very quiet local.
"Where's Fred?"
Ian just lifted the side of his jacket to reveal poor Fred slumped across his knees in time honoured Jolly Jack fashion, pissed out of his skull!!
So this time on the way back instead of announcing his arrival from the handlebars he swayed gently from side to side dangling from them in a plastic carrier bag as we peddled back to the ship.
The poor wee soul's hang over lasted for two days and he just sat silently in his cage glowering at everyone like a chief engineer with a sore head. No-one dared make too much noise for him as we'd all been there.

Old 26th April 2009, 11:52

My location
Quote:
Haha yes I remember that do and all the folk you mention. I came off watch in time to see you open your bottle of shampoo, the cork flying out, hitting the deckhead and bouncing back down on your head with such a force that you fell over much to the raucous delight of the assembled well wishers.
Lloyd
God Damnit Lloyd I still have the headache, or one very similar!!!

I am waiting for my daughter back in Wisconsin to send my pics through...I have one of you with your arm through the "ramp hole" where the LB Doxford top piston CW hose ramp thrashed back and fwds lookin' like you were getting chewed up...funny...Also one really good one of you, Trevor Kenny, Taff, an unremembered J/E and a donkey man wrapped in burlap down inside an LB Doxford liner....sweet. You don't see a lot of that nowadays do yer?????

Hey, just for shits and giggles this is me just minutes before I set of from our ranch in North Central Wisconsin to drive up here....3877 miles in five days. Fantastic adventure....

Next time I am in U.K. you had better get me drunked up O.K.???

Hey is it true that One of Tim Boltons family who was hitching a ride back to Europe on one of our ships called you Shorty because he was taller than you and you must have been all of 6' 2" ++++ back then???

Like the song...."oh happy day...."
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_0651.jpg (145.7 KB, 72 views)
Old 26th April 2009, 12:12

My location
[QUOTE=Lloyd Housley;315988]
Quote:
Ian,
Fred and Albert they were. Mine was Albert and Ian Ferrier 4/E was Fred's 'dad'. .
God damnit Lloyd, that is funnier that **** because I know how "Pythonesque" you are. As in "I say old chap you cannot arrest him, he is a British object!" do you remember that??

Anyhoooooo....who was the guy you hung with that had one leg way shorter than the other? was that Ian F? and if so is it true he was 3/E and killed when a missile hit his cabin on some ship during the Bangladeshi war (during 70s)

Jeez Lloyd do you realize how boring life is nowadays?? we absolutely had it made...it was fun, it was freaky, it was la danjerooooo and it was pretty cheap as well.

Thank God I was a Seaman, it is all that keeps me sane nowadays in a world of grey people....I really am writing a book about my life. Well into it but confused how to thread it together. You know, It means a bunch to me, and you and other guys would get inside it too, but those MFers that stagnate our world today would not even understand the first inst. of it...you know what I mean?

Well, I'm sucking down pretty far into my Brandy right now so better call it quits.

Lloyd, I am going to laugh my cods of when I see you, I am still young and virile but you must be so old by now... Joking...old pal...
Old 26th April 2009, 13:02

My location
Quote:
God Damnit Lloyd I still have the headache, or one very similar!!!

I am waiting for my daughter back in Wisconsin to send my pics through...I have one of you with your arm through the "ramp hole" where the LB Doxford top piston CW hose ramp thrashed back and fwds lookin' like you were getting chewed up...funny...Also one really good one of you, Trevor Kenny, Taff, an unremembered J/E and a donkey man wrapped in burlap down inside an LB Doxford liner....sweet. You don't see a lot of that nowadays do yer?????

Hey, just for shits and giggles this is me just minutes before I set of from our ranch in North Central Wisconsin to drive up here....3877 miles in five days. Fantastic adventure....

Next time I am in U.K. you had better get me drunked up O.K.???

Hey is it true that One of Tim Boltons family who was hitching a ride back to Europe on one of our ships called you Shorty because he was taller than you and you must have been all of 6' 2" ++++ back then???

Like the song...."oh happy day...."
Ian,
I'm really looking forward to seeing those pictures as I have very few really (divorce takes more away than wealth!).
It was either Charlie Bolton or 'Red Buses' Anson (a director's son I think). Both were great lads and fell into the JJ way of life with great relish after their serious upbringing. They were both tall lads and equally liable to calling me Shorty.
It's 1300 here so not really time to go to the pension exchange yet but I'll be along for a gargle before the day is out.
Catch you later, enjoy your brandy (the only tipple to give me a hang over by the way).

Lloyd

Old 26th April 2009, 13:27

My location
Quote:
Catch you later, enjoy your brandy (the only tipple to give me a hang over by the way).

Lloyd
Lloyd,

I understood the deffinition of a hangover is what you saw looking at a girl, from behind, sitting on a bar stool in Duluth.....!! ain't life grand???
Old 27th April 2009, 09:56

My location
[QUOTE=Ian J. Huckin;316011]
Quote:

God damnit Lloyd, that is funnier that **** because I know how "Pythonesque" you are. As in "I say old chap you cannot arrest him, he is a British object!" do you remember that??

Anyhoooooo....who was the guy you hung with that had one leg way shorter than the other? was that Ian F? and if so is it true he was 3/E and killed when a missile hit his cabin on some ship during the Bangladeshi war (during 70s)

Jeez Lloyd do you realize how boring life is nowadays?? we absolutely had it made...it was fun, it was freaky, it was la danjerooooo and it was pretty cheap as well.

Thank God I was a Seaman, it is all that keeps me sane nowadays in a world of grey people....I really am writing a book about my life. Well into it but confused how to thread it together. You know, It means a bunch to me, and you and other guys would get inside it too, but those MFers that stagnate our world today would not even understand the first inst. of it...you know what I mean?

Well, I'm sucking down pretty far into my Brandy right now so better call it quits.

Lloyd, I am going to laugh my cods of when I see you, I am still young and virile but you must be so old by now... Joking...old pal...
Yes Ian F had the leg disparity I'm sure, but it was his big mate (and mine) Kenny Seddon who got blitzed off Karachi in a Harrisons boat I think. They were great lads and I sailed with them for the epic 18 monther in Ribera. They were the best of mates but for some reason or other decided to stop the taxi on the way back from a night out in Huston to have a fight. They were both in 3 piece suits and finished up rolling down a levy kicking and screaming straight into a swamp where they continued to pummel each other taking it in turns to sit on top and try to drown the other in the ooz. Needless to say the taxis (and the rest of us) cleared off and left them to it. Next morning the chandler was seen to 'accidentaly' drop both suits on his way down the gangway opting to pay compensation rather than trying to get them cleaned! Ian and Kenny were of course best of mates again and reckoned they'd just done it for a laugh.

I've been bolder much longer than I've been older!!

Last edited by Lloyd Housley; 27th April 2009 at 16:19..
Old 5th May 2009, 00:26

tony herbert

Quote:
I think his name was Tony Herbert, known as 'the shrubber' as in Roger the Shrubber from Monty Python, for reasons that I've long forgotten. I last heard of him as 2/e on what looked like a very sophisticated oil support vessel that had moored in Douglas harbour though I didn't get to meet him after my time in Boltons.
He was from Cleveland in the North East I think. As I remember he was a pretty switched on chap.
Do you remember the 'lecky' (in his case something of a misnomer) on that trip who disconnected his bench grinder with a pair of tinsnips when there was still juice on it?

Cheers.
Jon
hi ive been working with tony herbert for the last five years,at the port authority in middlesbrough on the dredging fleet.great bloke just left our place and has got a job on the tugs in canvey island .
Old 6th May 2009, 16:44

Hi Bloomdido.
If you're still in touch with Tony, please pass on my regards (Jon Bregazzi) and wish him all the best.
Cheers.
Jon