Ships Nostalgia banner

The Clan Is Gathering.......

85K views 159 replies 45 participants last post by  grayfrancks 
#1 · (Edited)
G'day everybody. SN has created this Forum for us, and fellow seafarers, so that we have a place to discuss anything "BOLTONS" and to help stay in touch with each other. I hope you all enjoy this place and I can see we are going to have a great time.

Here is a crew list of those Old Boltonians still kicking...I'm sure we will track down more:

Gordon Carey
Derek Chapman
Peter Charnley
Nick Chell
Simon Coate
Chris Cooke
Jim Cooper
Howard Cox
Peter Davidson
Keith Fulker
David Fullwood
Malcolm Gator
Lloyd Housley
Ian Huckin
Geoff Long
Phil Pick
Peter Sandvid
Stuart Tait
Terry Upson
Colin Wilson

Between us I am sure we have a huge inventory of stories, experiences and pictures. Let's share them......(If we make relevant posts elsewhere would it be worth including them here too?)

Best wishes all,

Ian
(==D)

Attachments

See less See more
#122 ·
I was on Ribera, I think it was her maiden voyage mid late 60's out of Nth Shields (?) to the States. I was an AB but came from the bridge ex deck app. It was a period during which I had a fantastic time. This was my second-third to last trip I think? She was a very happy ship with mostly Geordie crew. Last trip was Mendoza Star doing the WCSA a great trip to end to my sea time :) This was her last trip to she was sold on & I went ashore to university & then into the mining oil-gas industry which was as much fun as being at sea.

#123 ·
IMO 7920027. Known to us all as the Nosira Lin listed on the srapping report for Alang 25/10/2012.
IMO 7920039.The Nosira Sharon, listed on the scrapping report for Gadani Beach 03/09/2012.
IMO 8024076. The Nosira Madeleine, listed at Alang 19/09/2013

All under their names at the time of scrapping which I think were Opal II, Partnership and H Pioneer respectively.

#130 ·
The lad sat the other side of Pete is Malcolm MacKellwee (not sure of spelling) and the Steward on the end without the sun tan was nicknamed "Flash" for his lack of speed. He got the sack when were in Montreal I think. Billy McGee I know, because it is me. I got sacked in Ravenna the same trip for an escapade I had the previous trip on the Nosira Lin. I initally missed the ship in Santos, but lucky she had stopped just up the coast and I rejoined her. I then had a bit of a mishap in Vancouver with a pick up truck and only got the job on the Sharon to pay the fine off.

#133 ·
Sad to have to let you all know that ex Boltons Chief Engineer Geoff Harding passed away in December of last year (2013).
I'm unaware of the cir***stances but an obituary for him in his local newspaper mentions that it was "peacefully after an illness on the 16th December 2013".
Always good company, RIP Geoff.
Regards.
Jonathan Bregazzi

#135 ·
Hi, I'm Willie Maclean, first trip 4th on the Madeleine in 1987. Anyone on the forum there at that time? I remember brothers Paul and Andy Murray - 2/E and 3/E, Chief Charlie Smith, old Lecky called Vince Hosty ex. Diamond D. 2/E called Tony, from the Wirrall I think. 5 cylinder Sulzer vibes!

#140 ·
Chris Cooke, Deck Officer

Hi All, I noticed that Chris Cooke has been mentioned in your crew list under the Bolton SS Reunion. Chris Cooke now works for us here at LGSA Marine as a cargo surveyor. He is retiring on 21st September 2015 and we are desperately looking to find out which ships he served on. Any help or remembrance info would be greatly appreciated. We kind of need the information urgently obviously as we want to get him a retirement gift.
Thanks

#141 ·
Hi All, I noticed that Chris Cooke has been mentioned in your crew list under the Bolton SS Reunion. Chris Cooke now works for us here at LGSA Marine as a cargo surveyor. He is retiring on 21st September 2015 and we are desperately looking to find out which ships he served on. Any help or remembrance info would be greatly appreciated. We kind of need the information urgently obviously as we want to get him a retirement gift.
Thanks

I sailed with him on mv Nosira Sharon in 1986, get him a box of doughnuts, he liked his food if I remember correctlyP

#143 ·
Christopher Cooke

Thanks for replying. If anyone knows Chris and would like to send him a message they can reply to this thread and we will add it to his retirement card. Any information or memories would be greatly appreciated.

PS Im not sure about the doughnuts, he certainly doesn't eat them now hes on a strict diet by his wife I think.

#144 ·
Thanks for replying. If anyone knows Chris and would like to send him a message they can reply to this thread and we will add it to his retirement card. Any information or memories would be greatly appreciated.

PS Im not sure about the doughnuts, he certainly doesn't eat them now hes on a strict diet by his wife I think.
Hi Chris, enjoy your retirement you surely deserve it. Best wishes to you...Ian Huckin

#145 ·
Bolton Shipping Crews

Hi Ian
Joined Ribblehead june 1967 as first trip jnr eng Max Bailey was c/eng. the old man had his 3 kids onboard for the trip to Vitoria. Payed off middlesborough nov 1967
Joined Ruysdeal in Glasgow Jan1968 for Red sea/ India. C/eng Peter Cook 2eng Ian Davies 3eng was from Ireland 4 eng Harvey Ketching
Payed off Southampton aug 1968 Rejoined Glasgow sept 1968 for drydocking c/eng Mortimore Macanally sold to Greek company while in dock .Joined Ripon nov1968 as 4 eng Bill Simpson c/eng Payed off dec 1968
Joined Ribera Durban 2 days later C/eng Sammy Sandvid 2eng Klaus Ullman 3eng Harvey Ketching C/steward Andy Kawinski 2mate Simon Coates old man Antone Lillivick !!!!! .Left Singapore 3 times went back twice, Scotty was the super who came out to Singapore to inspect the mess.
Payed off Baton Rouge Nov 1969
Joined Redcar South Shields Jan 1970 as 3eng Siddle was the old man Payed off april1970
Joined Ribblehead may 1970 to sept1970
Joined Ripon oct 1970 to feb 1971
Ribera april 1971 to nov 1971 again with Sammy and Parsloe the old man. This was my last trip with Bolton. Went to Harrison Clyde for 4 years before emigrating to Australia
Regards Alex Frew

#147 ·
Hi Folks,
recently joined SN and have been trawling through the companies list, Spotted Bolton S.S Co and thought I would just add a wee bit to your archive. I was grabbed by the Bolton personnell fellow direct from the exam room in Glasgow to join the Ruysdael on the 15th December 1966. John Parslow was Master and David Fullwood was the Mate I was 2nd Mate. We sailed from Leith to the West Coast of Canada to load Newsprint for Sydney and Melbourne. We eventually got back to the UK via Port Lincon to load Barley to take to Ravenna and then to London where I paid off on 8th June 1967. I never sailed on any other Bolton Ships as I returned to Ben Line which was the company I had served my time with. However That 6 months or so that I spent on the Ruysdael was 6 of the happiest I have ever spent with a great bunch of lads both Officers and crew.Sorry I can't remember any others of the crew but if any of you remember me be assured you are remembered with great affection. Bill Scouller.

#151 ·
Well, well, well, Good to hear from you Ken I remember you well and as you say our conversations were as varied as they were enjoyable. I retired from seagoing in November 1993 did a few years with an oil company shore side in Aberdeen, Had a heart attack in 1998 , Triple by pass in 1999 and have been living the life of riley ever since. Just passed my 75th birthday and still reasonably healthy.
If you wish I can send you my e-mail address but will await your response. However the time has come for this old timer to hit the hay so will look for you on the morrow. All the best , Bill.

#152 ·
Back in touch I hope with some old seamates...to refresh your minds my name is Ian Huckin and I sailed with North Yorkshire SS Co., Boltons. F. Boltons Bulk Carriers etc from '68 through till about '84? Reivaulx, Ribblehead, Rossetti, Reynolds, Rubens, Nosira Lin, Nosira Sharon and Nosira Madelaine. Engineer Apprentice through to second engineer. Left to join Scottish Ship Management as they offered me a chief's job.

Any old mates out there or people with memories of these ships, even college time in Southampton, it would be wonderful to hear from you...best wishes...Ian

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.