Ships Nostalgia banner

1964 MS Devonia Student Cruise

16K views 20 replies 16 participants last post by  kirkgate98 
#1 ·
I was on the Devonia as a student in 1964, had a wonderful time. I was an American Student living in Frankfurt, Germany, I was 16. A half dozen other students from my school were on the cruise, along with the hundreds of other students from all over Europe. I would like to re-connect with anyone else on that cruise. Particularly, Anne O'Neill(?) from Lanarkshire, Scotland.
Dan Tomberlin

#2 ·
Welcome aboard Dan.
I can't help you with your search, except to suggest that you search for "Devonia" or "MS Devonia" where you might come across someone who sailed on her at that time. Most likely to find crew members rather than other students on this site though.

#9 ·
M S Devonia in 1964

In reply to Dan Tomberlin, I was on the Easter Cruise on MS Devonia in 1974 during my first year at Surbiton Grammar School. We joined the ship in Genoa and visited Palermo, Carthage from Tunis, Alicante and Lisbon and finished at Tilbury. I was bitten by the explorer bug leading a university expedition to Senegal via Marseille and Agadir in 1972 and spent 40 years mapping soils and land resources all over the world and am now promoting the International Appalachian Trail which aims to unite what oceans are dividing (Newfoundland, Ireland, France, Spain, Portugal and MoroccoI have a great deal to thank the ships company for, students enjoyed much comfort compared with sailing Dormitory Class to Dakar 8 years later.

#12 ·
In reply to Dan Tomberlin, I was on the Easter Cruise on MS Devonia in 1974 during my first year at Surbiton Grammar School. We joined the ship in Genoa and visited Palermo, Carthage from Tunis, Alicante and Lisbon and finished at Tilbury. I was bitten by the explorer bug leading a university expedition to Senegal via Marseille and Agadir in 1972 and spent 40 years mapping soils and land resources all over the world and am now promoting the International Appalachian Trail which aims to unite what oceans are dividing (Newfoundland, Ireland, France, Spain, Portugal and MoroccoI have a great deal to thank the ships company for, students enjoyed much comfort compared with sailing Dormitory Class to Dakar 8 years later.
I think by 1974 0nly Uganda and Nevasa were in service for "Educational Cruises". Devonia was scrapped in 1967 and Uganda was converted that year for educational cruising. I sailed on Uganda in 1976, 1977 & 1988 as cadet & 3rd Officer.

#13 ·
I was on the penultimate School Trip in October/November 1967. We sailed from Liverpool to Bordeaux, Tangier, Cadiz and Oporto.

Outbound we made such good time and had great weather we took part in an informal regatta in the Bay of Biscay.

On our return journey we had such bad weather, that the decks were out of bounds. The only amusing thing were the lockers in our dorms, opening and closing in noisy sequence!

Devonia made her way to an Irish port to assess the damage, then back to Liverpool. She only made one further trip, I believe.

#16 ·
Hi Lyn

I was on that cruise as well. Had a great time.
The lifeboat regatta was in one of the bays on the portugese coast. The place we visited after the storm was the Isle of Man, the Liverpool pilot boat had been driven off station by the weather so we met her in Douglas Bay.

#15 ·
I was on a Dunera school cruise in 1962 - Newcastle-Coruña-Gib-Lisbon-Newcastle. Remember the first time that I stood on deck and couldn't see land. Me a wee country loon frae Farfar. - Amazed. Couldn't believe it. I was hooked.
Was meant to stay on at school after the summer, but went to the Mercantile Marine Office in Dundee and joined the MN.
Ten years later and married, my wife told me she had been on another Dunera school cruise in 1965. We've both still got our badges and certificates!

#17 ·
I was on Devonia 64-65 ??

Hi Dan, I was on Devonia 26 day cruise --- leaving Bremen, Germany with ports of Spain, Portugal, N. Africa, and England. I was stationed in Kaiserslautern, Germany at the time. Such GREAT memories and I too had a pen-pal from Belfast, Ireland I have lost contact with for many years now. Was this your cruise ?

#18 ·
Hi Dan, I was on Devonia 26 day cruise --- leaving Bremen, Germany with ports of Spain, Portugal, N. Africa, and England. I was stationed in Kaiserslautern, Germany at the time. Such GREAT memories and I too had a pen-pal from Belfast, Ireland I have lost contact with for many years now. Was this your cruise ?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.