Ships Nostalgia banner

Keeping It Alive

8K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Lloyd Housley 
#1 ·
Hi Guys,

I don't know who's out there or who knows me but here goes a venture about our old outfit which I hope may be of some interest.

https://sites.google.com/site/bolton...pingcoltd/home

I did point a finger in it's direction a couple of weeks ago to someone I was chatting with but didn't realise I was going public
Anyway I've moved it all on a bit since then and hopefully refined the detail and corrected all (some) of the glaring mistakes.
It's not finished yet (and probably never will be) but I've got six ships piccies missing and need loads of '1st Hand' detail for each vessel.
It's not mandatory to contribute of course, but we're not getting any younger, and I don't want our company (or us) to fade away.

Please tell me what you think and give me some yarns.

Regards

#3 ·
Boltons

Hello Lloyd,

Congratulations on your site, very interesting. Although I never sailed in Boltons I recognise a lot of the names. Did the Iron ore boats ever get up to Irlam Steelworks on the Manchester Ship Canal.?

I have just finished a good book by Capt. Arthur Mathison who was mate and master with Boltons. It is called "Now the Long Trick is Over" some good stories about cargo ship tramping and the Shaw Savill charters plus the iron ore boats.

Apparently he left Boltons under a cloud but went on to become master with Dalgleish's of Newcastle on the Hudson Bay run.

It is published by Dead Good Publications.

#6 ·
Hello Lloyd,

Congratulations on your site, very interesting. Although I never sailed in Boltons I recognise a lot of the names. Did the Iron ore boats ever get up to Irlam Steelworks on the Manchester Ship Canal.?

I have just finished a good book by Capt. Arthur Mathison who was mate and master with Boltons. It is called "Now the Long Trick is Over" some good stories about cargo ship tramping and the Shaw Savill charters plus the iron ore boats.

Apparently he left Boltons under a cloud but went on to become master with Dalgleish's of Newcastle on the Hudson Bay run.

It is published by Dead Good Publications.
Thank you Trader, very kind of you to say so.
No, I don't ever remember Irlam being mentioned, but then I was only with them for a few of the 15 they were on charter. In my time the main ports were Glasgow, Tee-side, Hartlepool, Cardiff and Newport.

Not heard of (or forgotten) Captain Mathison either but I'll look for the book you mention.

I've just bought one called 'Whither o' Ship' (Adventures in a tramp steamer) by Stanley Roger Green. I've only just started it really but it's about his experiences as a first tripper in the Rembrandt at the end of WWII, and looks to be a good yarn.

Any way thanks again
Lloyd

#5 ·
Thank you very much Andre, I hope you enjoy the booklet. I'm adding to the site fairly frequently (although the spring weather has slowed me down!) so I hope you have a peek now and again.
Thanks again
Lloyd

#7 ·
Hey Lloyd, I thought I had commented on your great work but I do not see it here....this work of yours is the foundation for something real and lasting.

Let me know what you need, I have pictures and stories, especially the one about you and I in Puerto Sagunto when you kicked the cell wall down...heck, if it wasn't for me nobody would beleive that story would they? Ah, happy days....

#8 · (Edited)
Thanks Ian. you did post but it was on my website feedback, not here. I appreciate it any way and good of you to offer help.

As for piccies, well there are 6 ships I don't have any for but since they were well before our time I don't suppose you have any of those (Sad)

But I intend publishing the one of us on 'unit day', you know, the boot lace one. So any like that would be most welcome, personalised stuff with faces and names. Old machinery too, I'd love to have ones of the 3 stage steam driven compressors on the Redcar. I can't remember the make and have looked all over for them. Don't know if you were in Redcar but if so do you remember they were really tall and had 3 stages all on the one piston rod?

Anything really altough I think I have enough of the 'modern' fleet, ore carriers onwards.

Catch you later.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.