Ships Nostalgia banner

Wake up Bolton boys........

16K views 25 replies 8 participants last post by  Nick Batstone 
#1 ·
Here is a kick start to your day (just managed to get my scanner configured)........

m.v. Reynolds circa late 70s. Cabin party in my cabin (2/E)

Who do you recognize...and do you see two people who really screwed up (literally).....

Looking forward to your replies.

Ian

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
m.v. Rievaulx 1972

Guess what we were doing?

L -> R:

Donkey(?), J/E Trevor Kenny (in the hole), J/E Peter Beard (crouching), J/Lecky(?) (standing and working, unbelievable!), 4/E Lloyd "Big Lloyd" Housley.
Happy days......(Hippy)

Attachments

#7 ·
Guess what we were doing?

L -> R:

Donkey(?), J/E Trevor Kenny (in the hole), J/E Peter Beard (crouching), J/Lecky(?) (standing and working, unbelievable!), 4/E Lloyd "Big Lloyd" Housley.
Happy days......(Hippy)
Posing. While waiting for tea-break while 'doing' a unit (cylinder overhaul) on one of the Doxford engines ore carriers? A guess from me, as my time was after the ore carriers had gone, but I'm guessing a Doxford engine from the side connecting rods. Now, Ian isn't *that* old, so if this photo is in his collection, I'm guessing this must be it.

What's the prize, Ian?

#5 ·
From full-face 9 o'clock, clockwise: Chief Eng: Sammy Sanvid, Mrs Aberwardnie? Prob 4th Eng: 'Sankie' Aberwardnie (ok, terrible spelling . . .), unknown, unknown, unknown Deck Cadet, sailed with him for a very short period, no name in my memory. Captain Parsloe, 3 other ladies, unknown. With so many ladies of board would this have been in UK/European waters/port, Ian?

#9 ·
Blanket reply to everybody that responded to the pictures....

The Doxford unit o/h was during my apprenticeship...yikes, when I think of all the things I've been up to since then (and still counting!!!!)

The picture was of the artist Rubens, we dressed him for Christmas...great party. The Co. got to see a copy of the picture and were not impressed.

The cabin party was in my cabin when I was 2/E, on the REYNOLDS of course, the partyingest ship ever...

O.K. here is who L -> R

Sammy Sandvid (C/E), Hiranthe Aberwaradene, Sanki Aberwaradene (3/E), Jane Avenin (wife of Richard Avenin C/O), Colin Hills (Bosun),
standing 2/O, sitting Alan (Cook), next to Jane is Mary (wife of 2/O), Captain Parsloe (Daisy) and Peggy Sandvid.

Can you possibly believe this ship is still sailing after 36 years!!!!!!!! I guess us engineers who built and sailed her must have done a pretty good job...plus the other lot kept her off the rocks!!!!

#13 ·
I beg to differ I spent three very enjoyable years with Bolton's, all trips on Reynolds.
Nice to see some old faces Ian.
Hey Terry, great to see another familiar name pop up. How are you doing??? Drop me a PM

Who is that bloke "marinemec2004" anyway? He was not at sea that long so I guess he was just inexperienced. Either that or he was not invited to any of the parties etc... In 26 years deep sea Bolton's rated right up there from the Management, to the ships and, especially, to the personnel, well MOST of them.

#14 ·
Jeez Marienemec2004 that is a rugged call. I only had the one trip with Bolton's on Ribera, I thought in comparison to ships of that period they were top notch accommodation wise, food was OK too as were the conditions in general. Just too many Geordies :) though with them you don't stop laughing & she had plenty of that, laughter, across the crew too.

#19 ·
Remember any names? I got stuck on the ore carriers in the North Atlantic/Arctic Circle while my Geordie friends did all that Pacific and Indian Ocean stuff on the Ribera....she became the Benvorlich I believe....

#18 ·
I remember fixing the radar gearbox on the Reynolds with parts from that Hobart Dough mixer just inside the door....my favorite ship...she was broken up in 2006. I stood by her building in 1974....not a bad life eh???

#16 ·
Although not an ex Bolton man,I do remember one day in 1966/67,Me and another deck apprentice were ashore in Corpus Christi,and met two girls.They were the daughters of the Old Man and the chief engineer of a Boltons ship(can't remember the name)moored astern of us(Gloxinia Stag Line).Did Boltons have a ship called Redcar,or was that where one of the girls lived?Our cook was murdered in Corpus Chisti,and the police questioned the crews of both ships.It was a local man who was charged.

#17 ·
Mr Kudu, Boltons did indeed have a Redcar. She was a 50s built 15,000 ton iron ore carrier on a 15 year charter to BISCO (British Iron and Steel Corp) I heard tales of that trip....I was on Rievaulx...

#25 ·
I can assure you that Lin, Sharon and Madeleine were worse as far as engine induced shakes...I'm sure the 'R' boats were worse for drink induced shakes...SSM were pretty good for that too....(Pint)

#26 · (Edited)
I can assure you that Lin, Sharon and Madeleine were worse as far as engine induced shakes...I'm sure the 'R' boats were worse for drink induced shakes...SSM were pretty good for that too....(Pint)
True Ian, one particular nasty crossing on the Sharon resulted in a crack right through one of the hatch coamings from top down to the deck. Glad I didn't see it until we were alongside in Montreal.

There always seemed to be a better atmosphere on the R boats than the Nosiras, probably due to the crew bars on the R boats in a better location. On the Nosiras the bar was like a working alleyway. Plus as a cook the old Chief Stewards cabins were a luxury far removed from the shoe boxes on the Nosiras.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.