Ships Nostalgia banner

The Clan Is Gathering.......

85K views 159 replies 45 participants last post by  grayfrancks 
#1 · (Edited)
G'day everybody. SN has created this Forum for us, and fellow seafarers, so that we have a place to discuss anything "BOLTONS" and to help stay in touch with each other. I hope you all enjoy this place and I can see we are going to have a great time.

Here is a crew list of those Old Boltonians still kicking...I'm sure we will track down more:

Gordon Carey
Derek Chapman
Peter Charnley
Nick Chell
Simon Coate
Chris Cooke
Jim Cooper
Howard Cox
Peter Davidson
Keith Fulker
David Fullwood
Malcolm Gator
Lloyd Housley
Ian Huckin
Geoff Long
Phil Pick
Peter Sandvid
Stuart Tait
Terry Upson
Colin Wilson

Between us I am sure we have a huge inventory of stories, experiences and pictures. Let's share them......(If we make relevant posts elsewhere would it be worth including them here too?)

Best wishes all,

Ian
(==D)

Attachments

See less See more
#39 ·
Next to the crapper was the was room, where we had the Hoover Tanglemaster, where everything came out in a knot. Also the Apprentices study opposite the 2nd Mates cabin.

The only time it smelt like a brewery midships was when the Chief Steward was watering down the rum syrup.

#52 ·
Billy McGee added.....

Revised "crew list" below:

Kevin Bird - Catering - Kev Bird
Jonathan Bregazzi - Engineer - Spanner
Davey Caton - Deck - nomad21
Gordon Carey - Electrician
Derek Chapman - Chippy - tiachapman
Peter Charnley - Engineer - P. Charnley
Nick Chell - Engineer
Simon Coate - Deck - Simon C
Chris Cooke - Deck
Jim Cooper - Master
Howard Cox - Engineer - cubpilot
Peter Davidson - Engineer
Keith Fulker - Deck
David Fullwood - Master
Malcolm Gator - Deck
Lloyd Housley - Engineer - Lloyd Housley
Ian Huckin - Engineer - Ian J. Huckin
Geoff Long - Deck
Billy McGee - Deck - Billy1963
Jim Parker - Deck - jimtar17
Phil Pick - Engineer
Peter Sandvid - Engineer
Ian Stockbridge - Deck - Baltic Wal
Stuart Tait - Engineer
Terry Upson - Deck
Colin Wilson - Deck

(26)

Currently trying to get hold of:

Peter Ballantine - Leckie
Graham Skinner - Engineer
Martin Hammond - Engineer
Tony Herbert - Engineer

These guys are out in the wings there but not yet on SN

Best wishes all,

Ian

#54 ·
Thanks Ian.

I have the following ex Bolton guys that I need to find their name, what dept etc so I can match it with the SN I.D.:

Backsplice
Riptide
Polarum
Iaint
TMW
Dotart
John Hamilton
ROVintage
Doug H
Dick Ware

I thought that, rather than bug them, I would give it some time to see if they came forward.

It's probably time to contact them.

Thanks again(Thumb) ....Hey, can you believe it snowed here this morning???? Time to get off this Island...all the fresh salmon and crab and great hunting ain't worth this......

Best wishes,

Ian

#58 ·
Come on in Randy, the water is great. You are an ex Boltanian, that is all that counts.

Let's hear some stories about the raging office parties you had on Friday afternoons!!!!

When I worked for SSM I spent time in the office getting the computers programmed for the ships being built out in Tamano. Every Friday, office staff (males) all wore a dark blue tie with five signal flags on it. They would not tell me what it was. I worked out it spelled POETS but did not have a clue what it meant. When I headed out to Japan they gave me a POETS tie and informed me it stood for "Piss Off Early Tommorow's Saturday".....

Revised "crew list" below:

Kevin Bird - Catering - Kev Bird
Jonathan Bregazzi - Engineer - Spanner
Davey Caton - Deck - nomad21
Gordon Carey - Electrician
Derek Chapman - Chippy - tiachapman
Peter Charnley - Engineer - P. Charnley
Nick Chell - Engineer
Simon Coate - Deck - Simon C
Randolph Coldham - Office - TMW
Chris Cooke - Deck
Jim Cooper - Master
Howard Cox - Engineer - cubpilot
Peter Davidson - Engineer
Keith Fulker - Deck
David Fullwood - Master
Malcolm Gator - Deck
Lloyd Housley - Engineer - Lloyd Housley
Ian Huckin - Engineer - Ian J. Huckin
Geoff Long - Deck
Billy McGee - Deck - Billy1963
Jim Parker - Deck - jimtar17
Phil Pick - Engineer
Peter Sandvid - Engineer
Ian Stockbridge - Deck - Baltic Wal
Stuart Tait - Engineer
Terry Upson - Deck
Colin Wilson - Deck

(27)

Currently trying to get hold of:

Peter Ballantine - Leckie
Graham Skinner - Engineer
Martin Hammond - Engineer
Tony Herbert - Engineer

These guys are out in the wings there but not yet on SN

Best wishes all,

Ian

#60 ·
hello to all you "Bolton Boys" I had the honour to do one trip on the Rembrandt as AB .strangely enough I just can,t recall much about her she was a good ship but the Gas turbine was consistantly breaking down accomodation and grub was ok no wheel just joystick sailed from Avonmouth and we loaded Grain at Norfolk Virginia for Hull we encountered some harrassing from the USN and Airforce as we were in the immediate vicinity of Cuba and the blockade was being enforced the origional destiation was Galveston can,t seem to find many photos of her just the one everybody seems to have ......could hardly claim to be a member of the clan ?????

#63 ·
My first ship was the Rievaulx, joined her late october, 1963, in Birkenhead.
My indentures were telling me that over the next four years I was to earn £840.10shillings and that amongst other things I was not to enter any houses of ill repute.
My first trip was to Monrovia, and for the first 5 days I was as sick as a dog. I discovered that:
It was possible to scrub the wheelhouse deck and polish the brass in an hour, starting at seven o'clock in the morning.
Apprentices couldn't buy booze, but that didn't stop them from drinking it.
Skiving was a skill well worth perfecting.

The following are the only names I can remember from my first trip:

Colin Beharrall, chippy, Cap,n Grugan the old man, Sid Peters second mate, Charlie Ingham third mate, senior apprentice Ollie Overland, Tibor Keene, apprentice, joined a couple of trips later, and finally me, Rhod Baikie.

#64 ·
Ian, you must have been at So'tun the same years as Tiny Tait, but in the other class with Alf Garnet. Last I saw of him was at Shields when we were doing a ticket. He had been snagged by a big Shields girl and was about to be hitched, so he was not allowed out much.

#65 · (Edited by Moderator)
Captain B.F.R.Thomas

Matt, (B.F.R.'s Grandson)

Very pleased and interested to receive the information hereunder in respect
of your Grandfather with whom I sailed sailed on SS REYNOLDS, a WW2 Liberty Ship owned by The Bolton Steamship Company. I don't know how I've received this information? - perhaps I made an enquiry some time ago in "Ships Nostalgia" ??

We all regarded your grandfather with some fondness as, to us, a very old!!
( 48 yrs) salt and knew he was one of seven survivors of SS Ramsay of
Bolton Steamship Co , convoy ON100 torpedoed south of Greenland June 10th
1942 by U 94 Kapitan Ites and was commended for war service..
He was previously Captain(?) on Boltons "Romney" ( all their ships named
after artists whose names began with "R" - Reibeek, Romney, Ruysdael etc )

" Reynolds" was a liberty ship whose welded construction caused them to be
regarded as prone to breaking in half!. Our second mate,a somwhat nervous
type, said to me " I don't like these ships, they're bloody dangerous!!" You
Grandfather kept a happy ship and we had a pleasant if somewhat slow
passage around the world, Spain Ceylon ( as was) Japan,China, Singapore,
Australia and back to Birkenhead via Suez, Passing Gibralter on christmas
eve my watch of 3 decided we would sing carols outside your grandfathers
cabin whereupon he opened his door and said " I was expecting you buggers"
and we had a convivial christmas early morning having accepted his tots of
rum as we discussed what had been a very stormy eventful voyage, I've,
years ago, spoken to members of Boltons staff about your Grandfather, who I
think he might have been Boltons senior captain. I have a picture of SS
Reynolds on my study wall. Boltons was a somewhat paternalistic tramp ship
company and treated us all very well. Pictures of " Reynolds"are available
on "Ships Nostalgia" on line

I also have the full story on Boltons SS Reynolds that preceeded " My"
replacement Reynolds ( master - Roderick David Macleod) She was lost with
all 47 hands,hit by two torpedoes at stern and amidships and capsized in
seconds after being torpedoed 210 miles east of Durban and south of
Madagascar on 31/10/42 per U-boat U504 skippers ( Hans Georg Frederick (
Fritz) Poske) report. Strangely, he records talking to suvivors as to their
ships name and cargo carried. When I queried " no survivors?" I was answered
with " that's what used to happen" he sailed on and left them to drown.

Somewhat bloodthirstily, I have some satisfaction that both U - boats were
sunk. U 94 was sunk 28/08/42 by depth charges from aircraft and ramming by
HMCS Oakville with 26 survivors, including Kapitan Ites - later a dentist.

Reynolds U 504 was sunk in company of two other Uboats 462 and 461 in a
hide and seek battle in southern Bay of Biscay that lasted from 29th and
30th July 1943 when sited and tracked and damaged by 5 aircraft all
suffering return fire from all 3 U-boats - 1 aircraft damaged and had to
land in Portugal. On 30th U - boat killer group HMS Woodpecker,Kite,Wren
and Wild Goose bought to the scene by aircraft reports hunted, depth charged
and sank all three U - boats. U 904 " no survivors,much wreckage and human
remains" per " Dark sky and deep waters" book by Norman Franks published by
" Grub street" ISBN 1-902304-37-3 1999 pages 43 etc.

Your grandfather was a real character! - and I'm so pleased to know his
later history. Thankyou.

Kind regards

Vic Wroth,

(email addresses and headers removed as per site policy)
> This is the message:
>
> My Grandfather was Captain BFR Thomas. He was born in March 1900 and died
> in November 1966. He went to sea at 16 and left in 1958, when he retired
> due to ill health. He is buried in Newcastle Emlyn in West Wales where he
> was born and brought up.
>

#67 ·
Matt, (B.F.R.'s Grandson)" Reynolds" was a liberty ship whose welded construction caused them to be
regarded as prone to breaking in half!.

I also have the full story on Boltons SS Reynolds that preceeded " My"
replacement Reynolds
>
Bolton's owned five ships named Reynolds during their history, the liberty ship being Reynolds (3) built 1944 as the SAMCEBU, purchased by Bolton's in 1947, sold in 1951 and broken up in 1964 after sailing under a number of other names.

Reynolds (2)

Cargo ship Reynold, 5,113grt, (Bolton SS Co. Ltd) had sailed independently from Table Bay on the 21st October 1942 to Durban, sailing from there on the 30th October 1942. The ship was never seen again. It was not until December 30th 1942 the ship was officially classed as missing. On the 20th January 1943, German radio claims to have sunk a ship by this name and a Missing Ship Committee take into consideration the facts they have and conclude she was probably lost on the 31st October 1942, possibly sunk by a commerce raider thought to be operating in that area. Records from U-504 state they intercepted a ship 210 miles from Durban at 17.18 hours on the 31st October 1942, hitting the ship with two torpedoes amidships and in the stern where the ship capsized and sank within a few seconds. They claim a few survivors were seen in the water and questioned them saying their ship was the SS Reynolds enroute from Durban to India. The U-boat then left the scene and the men to their eventual fate. 40 crew and 7 DEMS gunners lost. For some reason all the gunners are dated as being killed 2nd November 1942. This is probably due to the fact there were no survivors and the exact date was not known until these men had already been registered as killed in action.

Tower Hill Memorial Panel 86.

ABBEY, Sailor, WILLIAM EDWARD, S.S. Reynolds (London). Merchant Navy. 31st October 1942. Age 25. Husband of Winifred Abbey, of Liverpool.

ADAMSON, Chief Engineer Officer, ROBERT WILLIAM, S.S. Reynolds (London). Merchant Navy. 31st October 1942. Age 53. Husband of Lily Adamson, of Higham Ferrers, Northamptonshire.

APPLEQUIST, Donkeyman, KARL, S.S. Reynolds (London). Merchant Navy. 31st October 1942. Age 56.

ASHBY, Fireman and Trimmer, WILLIAM EDWIN, S.S. Reynolds (London). Merchant Navy. 31st October 1942. Age 27. Son of William Charles and Helen Ashby; husband of Hazel Ashby, of Purston, Yorkshire.

BLANDFORD, Fireman and Trimmer, LAURIE SEBASTIAN, S.S. Reynolds (London). Merchant Navy. 31st October 1942. Age 26. Husband of Noreen Blandford, of Spotland, Rochdale, Lancashire.

BOYLE, Fireman and Trimmer, JOHN PATRICK, S.S. Reynolds (London). Merchant Navy. 31st October 1942. Age 46.

BRENNEN, Able Seaman, ALBERT WILLIAM, S.S. Reynolds (London). Merchant Navy. 31st October 1942. Age 22.

BURKE, Sailor, HENRY PETER, S.S. Reynolds (London). Merchant Navy. 31st October 1942. Age 23.

BUTLER, Apprentice, NORMAN MARSH, S.S. Reynolds (London). Merchant Navy. 31st October 1942. Age 18. Son of Wilfred Marsh and Gladys Eliza (Gem) Butler.

COLLMAN, Ordinary Seaman, DONALD PATRICK, S.S. Reynolds (London). Merchant Navy. 31st October 1942. Age 19. Son of Fredrick Patrick and Rose Maud Collman, of Southend-on-Sea, Essex.

DUFF, Third Engineer Officer, WILLIAM, S.S. Reynolds (London). Merchant Navy. 31st October 1942. Age 30.

GARSIDE, Second Radio Officer, GEORGE ABRAHAM, S.S. Reynolds (London). Merchant Navy. 31st October 1942. Age 16. Son of George Edward Garside, and of Clara Garside, of Pendleton, Salford, Lancashire.

HART, Fireman and Trimmer, FREDERICK, S.S. Reynolds (London). Merchant Navy. 31st October 1942. Age 30. Son of Frederick and Beatrice Hart; husband of Lily Hart, of Birkenhead.

HIGGINS, Cook, HORACE GEORGE, S.S. Reynolds (London). Merchant Navy. 31st October 1942. Age 38.

HINDLE, Fireman and Trimmer, ROBERT, S.S. Reynolds (London). Merchant Navy. 31st October 1942. Age 19.

HOGGART, Fireman and Trimmer, TERENCE, S.S. Reynolds (London). Merchant Navy. 31st October 1942. Age 38.

LAMB, Chief Officer, JOHN JAMES KENNETH, S.S. Reynolds (London). Merchant Navy. 31st October 1942. Age 34. Son of James and Mary Elspeth Lamb; husband of Minnie Mary Lamb, of Wallsend, Northumberland.

LITTLER, Ordinary Seaman, HENRY, S.S. Reynolds (London). Merchant Navy. 31st October 1942. Age 17. Son of Gladys Dolman, of Liverpool.

LOMAX, First Radio Officer, PETER BARLOW, S.S. Reynolds (London). Merchant Navy. 31st October 1942. Age 18.

LOWTHORPE, Fireman and Trimmer, LEWIS, S.S. Reynolds (London). Merchant Navy. 31st October 1942. Age 39. Husband of Nellie Lowthorpe, of Pudsey, Yorkshire.

MEREDITH, Assistant Steward, GEORGE ALBERT, S.S. Reynolds (London). Merchant Navy. 31st October 1942. Age 19. Son of Mr. and Mrs. G. H. Meredith, of Peterborough, Northamptonshire.

MOUER, Fireman and Trimmer, CHARLES, S.S. Reynolds (London). Merchant Navy. 31st October 1942. Age 38. Son of Charles and Catherine Mouer.

MacGREGOR, Able Seaman, DONALD HENRY, S.S. Reynolds (London). Merchant Navy. 31st October 1942. Age 20. Son of George Roland and Margaret Ethel MacGregor, of Waterloo, Liverpool.

McKENNA, Able Seaman, VINCENT, S.S. Reynolds (London). Merchant Navy. 31st October 1942. Age 30. Son of James and Charlotte McKenna. His brother Bernard also fell.

McLEOD, Master, RODERICK DAVID, S.S. Reynolds (London). Merchant Navy. 31st October 1942. Age 39. Husband of Doris McLeod, of Ford, Liverpool.

McNALLY, Assistant Steward, HARRY, S.S. Reynolds (London). Merchant Navy. 31st October 1942. Age 25. Son of James and Jean McNally; grandson of Helen McNally, of Springburn, Glasgow.

NEILSON, Third Radio Officer, PETER BROWN, S.S. Reynolds (London). Merchant Navy. 31st October 1942. Age 22.

PLATT, Fourth Engineer Officer, GEORGE LEWIS, S.S. Reynolds (London). Merchant Navy. 31st October 1942. Age 30. Son of George and Christina Platt, of Belfast, Northern Ireland.

QUIRK, Boatswain, JOHN, S.S. Reynolds (London). Merchant Navy. 31st October 1942. Age 25. Son of Mary Catherine Quirk, of Garston, Liverpool.

RAMSDEN, Carpenter, ARTHUR, S.S. Reynolds (London). Merchant Navy. 31st October 1942. Age 21.

SANDS, Fireman and Trimmer, STANLEY THOMAS, S.S. Reynolds (London). Merchant Navy. 31st October 1942. Age 30. Husband of H. Sands, of Swinton, Mexborough, Yorkshire.

SHARP, Second Engineer Officer, CLIFFORD, S.S. Reynolds (London). Merchant Navy. 31st October 1942. Age 37. Son of Frank and Edith Sharp, of Hessle, Yorkshire; husband of Rose Millicent Sharp. of Cottingham, Yorkshire.

SHIELDS, Assistant Steward, THOMAS, S.S. Reynolds (London). Merchant Navy. 31st October 1942. Age 19. Son of Matthew Shields, and of Edith Shields, of Liverpool.

STEVENSON, Fireman and Trimmer, JAMES, S.S. Reynolds (London). Merchant Navy. 31st October 1942. Age 19.

TEDFORD, Donkeyman, ROBERT, S.S. Reynolds (London). Merchant Navy. 31st October 1942. Age 49.

TROWELL, Fireman and Trimmer, CHARLES, S.S. Reynolds (London). Merchant Navy. 31st October 1942. Age 31. Son of Charles and Mary Jane Eastwood Trowell; husband of Lily Trowell, of Hull.

WALKER, Third Officer, HERBERT CECIL, S.S. Reynolds (London). Merchant Navy. 31st October 1942. Age 35. Son of Herbert Walter and Amelia Walker; husband of Irene Phyllis Walker, of Muswell Hill, Middlesex.

WARNER, Apprentice, PETER WILLIAM, S.S. Reynolds (London). Merchant Navy. 31st October 1942. Age 18. Son of John William and Jessie Edith Warner, of Carshalton, Surrey.

WINTERBOURNE, Ordinary Seaman, ELI STANLEY, S.S. Reynolds (London). Merchant Navy. 31st October 1942. Age 19. Son of George Stanley Winterbourne and Ethel Christina Winterbourne, of Formby, Lancashire.

YOUNG, Second Officer, WILLIAM EDMUND LINDSAY, S.S. Reynolds (London). Merchant Navy. 31st October 1942. Age 28.

DEMS Gunners commemorated various Naval Memorials

BLISSETT, Petty Officer, JAMES, C/JX 173797, S.S. Reynolds, Royal Navy. 2nd November 1942. Age 23. Husband of Alice Maud Blissett, of Islington, London.

KELLY, Bombardier, THOMAS, 2081507, 4/2 Maritime Regt., Royal Artillery. 2 November 1942. Age 24. Son of Thomas and Elizabeth Kelly, of Ilford, Essex.

LOFTUS, Gunner, ANTHONY, 11267051, 4/2 Maritime Regt., Royal Artillery. 2 November 1942. Age 23. Son of Pat and Ellen Loftus.

NIXON, Leading Seaman, WILLIAM, D/JX 200338. H.M.S. President III. Royal Navy. lost in S.S. Reynolds 2nd November 1942. Age 24. Son of Herbert and Alice Nixon; husband of Margaret Nixon, of Blackburn, Lancashire.

THORN, Able Seaman, HAROLD, D/JX 335841. H.M.S. President III. Royal Navy. lost in S.S. Reynolds. 2nd November 1942. Age 19. Son of Alfred Richard Percy and Constance Thorn, of Folkestone.

WILLIAMSON, Able Seaman, SAMUEL, D/JX 335837. H.M.S. President III. Royal Navy. lost in S.S. Reynolds. 2nd November 1942. Age 20. Son of Frances E. Williamson, of Longsight, Manchester.

WILLIAMS, Able Seaman, IDRIS, P/JX 335858. H.M.S. President III. Royal Navy. (lost in S.S. Reynolds). 2nd November 1942. Age 20. Son of Elizabeth Williams, of Rhiw, Blaenau Ffestiniog, Merionethshire.

#68 · (Edited)
Sorry to bring sad news to this part of the site, but I found out yesterday that Barry Neville (2/E and C/E with Boltons) passed away last month. Barry had retired some time ago and I bumped into him once a year at a model engineering exhibition in the midlands. It was there that I found out he had suc***bed. RIP

#71 ·
Hi Rhodius I see you mention a 3rd mate Charles Ingham with you on the Redcar. He was the husband of a bridesmaid (Julie) at our wedding in 1964 and they both lived for some time in Catterick and Richmond. The both parted company some years ago. Not sure were he is now except know he is retired. We are still in touch with Julie and if anyone wants we could find out how to contact him. regards, Charlesowen

#76 ·
The Rembrandt was the first ship I ever set foot on, not to sail on her, just for a look around.I was at Gravesend sea school 1949 and the c/o had us lads out in the river doing lifeboat handling lessons, the "Rembrant" had come in overnight and was tied up to the bouys just off the sea school , she had just payed off, all the crew were gone, except for an old chap as watchman, who let us get aboard, the C/0 waxed long about points of interest in the wheelhouse etc and we must have spent half the day aboard, he told us she was an "Ocean" boat built for wartime service, and as I recall(its been a long time) she was still a dull grey in 49,

#77 ·
Hi Ian, good site. Appreciate if you would include me on the crew list. Sailed on the Rievaulx early to mid 1959 as a catering boy & on the Ribblehead late 59 and early 60 as Asst. Stwd. all out of my home port Middlesborough. Many Bolton ships built just down the road from me at Smiths Docks in South Bank my home town.

#82 ·
Don't know how I missed this one, sorry. I was out of the loop for a while moving from Alaska back to the lower 48 and taking a job in Arkansas, which soon relocated me in Oklahoma where I am now. All is good and I will be coming over for the 2011 Boltons Reunion. Spread the word. Get as many people as you can to send me there email addresses (via PM)

Best wishes and thanks.....Ian

#80 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hi its Fred Tratt! First sailed with Boltons in 1977 under Captain Cooper, now living in Australia, would like to know if anyone knows where Colin Hills is! If possible contact by private message or anyone else who'd like to get in contact would like to hear from you!

Please use the site private message (PM) system to make contact.
(Email address removed as per site policy - please see the guidelines )

#83 ·
How are you doing Peter, I think it is just great when new names from the past pop up. Get any old Boltonians you know to PM me their email addresses as we work towards a crew list for the 2011 Bolton's Reunion. Keep watching this site....best wishes, Ian

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.