Ships Nostalgia banner

The Clan Is Gathering.......

85K views 159 replies 45 participants last post by  grayfrancks 
#1 · (Edited)
G'day everybody. SN has created this Forum for us, and fellow seafarers, so that we have a place to discuss anything "BOLTONS" and to help stay in touch with each other. I hope you all enjoy this place and I can see we are going to have a great time.

Here is a crew list of those Old Boltonians still kicking...I'm sure we will track down more:

Gordon Carey
Derek Chapman
Peter Charnley
Nick Chell
Simon Coate
Chris Cooke
Jim Cooper
Howard Cox
Peter Davidson
Keith Fulker
David Fullwood
Malcolm Gator
Lloyd Housley
Ian Huckin
Geoff Long
Phil Pick
Peter Sandvid
Stuart Tait
Terry Upson
Colin Wilson

Between us I am sure we have a huge inventory of stories, experiences and pictures. Let's share them......(If we make relevant posts elsewhere would it be worth including them here too?)

Best wishes all,

Ian
(==D)

Attachments

See less See more
#90 ·
Hey guys, let's all make our very best effort to be at the 2011 Bolton's reunion so we can raise a glass in honor of a very fine man...Peter "Sammy" Sandvid.

Each of you please let me know how I can contact you so that I can assist Joan Wilson with the planning.

Thanks all......

#94 ·
greetings shipmates.
i recognise more names than faces i am able to put to them but hope to be at the 2011 reunion.
i am searching the thread but cant seem to find the time and place - can someone advise.
just looking at spanners posts and got a chill at the thought of him up front and me in the back!
must contact Phil 'NotloB' Disley and Bob Garnham to let them know.
Put me on the crew list please.
1981-1987 (or was it 1989?) Reynolds A.B. Rubens / Lin / Madeliene and Sharon,
3/O and 2/O

#96 ·
Hello,

Not strictly a Boltonian but I sailed on the Ribblehead in 1961 as R/O, my first ship.

According to my Discharge Book I joined her in Birkenhead on the 13th February 1961 and paid off in Middlesboro' on the 9th June 1961. The Old Man was J.Pratt. I seem to remember trips down to Monrovia, Seven Islands and also to Vitoria in Brazil. Did we also go to a small God foresaken place up the Amazon - or was that another ship...

Sadly I remember very little about the ship or the crew. I was 2nd. R/O and I was doing my six month 'apprenticeship' after which I left to join the Marwick Head. The Chief R/O was Irish. The 3rd Mate was always threatening to leave the sea and join the Fire Service... Little things like that coming back but generally it's all very vague - well it is half a century ago!

One thing I do remember was carrying a big Elizabethan open reel tape recorder with me whatever ship I joined, with loads of 7" tapes full of pop music !!! It ran on 240 volt AC of course and as many ships (most?) were DC I also carried a DC - AC converter. We didn't have MP3 players in those days !!!

I'm trying to collect some pictures and details of all the ships I sailed on so if anyone has anything relating to the Ribblehead I'd be grateful. Please feel free to PM me anytime.

John (Parry)

#99 ·
Thanks for the link Lloyd, you've got some good stuff there, keep up the good work and more power to your elbow.

I'm putting together a little scrapbook of all the ships I sailed on and any information is always very welcome.

Now what I'd 'really' like would be some pictures of the radio rooms - but I'm probably being over optimistic!

#104 ·
Boltons' History

Hi Guys,
I don't know who's out there or who knows me but here goes a venture about our old outfit which I hope may be of some interest.

https://sites.google.com/site/boltonsteamshippingcoltd/home

I did point a finger in it's direction a couple of weeks ago to someone I was chatting with but didn't realise I was going public (Pint)
Anyway I've moved it all on a bit since then and hopefully refined the detail and corrected all (some) of the glaring mistakes.
It's not finished yet (and probably never will be) but I've got six ships piccies missing and need loads of '1st Hand' detail for each vessel.
It's not mandatory to contribute of course, but we're not getting any younger, and I don't want our company (or us) to fade away.

Please tell me what you think and give me some yarns.

Regards

#107 ·
Yes John, I remember it well. I was standing between two generators when the ship heeled over that quickly, I thought the geny behind me had blown up and this was my last breath.
Seemed to remember that the impact buckled the deck in the accomodation (amongst other, more serious, damage) and the 2/E (Tommy Spoor) had to sleep elswhere as his bunk was over the buckle.

#106 ·
Another name for the list

I joined Bolton SS as apprentice on 14th October 1964, MV 'Ripon', Queens Dock' Cardiff and then Redcar, Ruysdale, Ribblehead, Rubens, Reynolds, Ribera. I left as 2nd Mate, then rejoined BMM as mate on Nosira Lyn some tears later. It's good to see so many names still around !

John J.Millar

#121 ·
I joined Bolton SS as apprentice on 14th October 1964, MV 'Ripon', Queens Dock' Cardiff and then Redcar, Ruysdale, Ribblehead, Rubens, Reynolds, Ribera. I left as 2nd Mate, then rejoined BMM as mate on Nosira Lyn some tears later. It's good to see so many names still around !

John J.Millar
I joined the 'Ripon', in Glasgow, as junior R/O in September 1964...So we must have sailed together...
I'd just done 3 months on a new supertanker so seeing this 'tiny' ship, covered in iron ore dust was a bit of a shock..However, she was one of the happiest ships I ever sailed on. I left her Christmas eve 1964 in Liverpool ( a bunch of us ended up in the "Starlight Club" on 23rd Dec and I've got a photo of us; I'll try and find it and scan it in) ....

If memory serves, we sailed together again when you were 3rd mate on the Ribblehead/Ruysdale?

#112 ·
Ahoy! No posts since January? Anybody about?
Philip
I'm still hanging around like a bad smell Phil. Now working right up by the Canadian border in Washington State...incredible sceneray and the hunting is insane...great life...How you'uns doin??????

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.