Ships Nostalgia banner

nosira ships

16K views 23 replies 11 participants last post by  grayfrancks 
#1 ·
is anyone else surprised these ships lasted 30 years i for one did not think they would last 15 years

#2 ·
I was on the building team for these ships. For the first one, Lin, I had over 600 guarantee defects, there was a condition of class on her crankshaft before she did her maiden voyage and the first cargo was suggested as being 30,000 ton of pipe brackets as she vibrated so bad. This was partially cured by installing an electronically governed balancing unit in the steering flat. I can explain it more but it would take ages.....

Ugly, uncomfortable ships at best.....

#3 ·
yea they were ugly and cheap but i did have some great times on them and sailed with some terrific people
we had a few weeks in nagasaki repairing some of the defects on the lin after getting caught in a storm whilst taking grain from new orleans to china kinda ironic another british built ship was there at the same time also getting emergency repairs

#4 ·
I was on both the Lin and the Madeleine ..some good times, some not. I'm looking for a port name from the Lin trip, the dates were from November 87 to May 88. One of the Southern Pacific Islands. I've a feeling it was in Fiji, but other than that my memory fails me....anyone help?

#5 ·
Was long gone by then. Actually though for the best part of '89 I was on a 500 ton specialized reefer scooting around all the Islands picking up tuna from Korean long liners and Islander pole boats. Rotuma Island and Fijian crew...stopped every Sunday for a church service on deck. Strange times.....

#20 ·
From left to right you have Billy Magee Tommy Larkin Kevin Smith Paul Richardson and Sockeye I just remember his last name was salmon this photo was probably taken in Osaka we also went to Nagoya and Funabashi (Tokyo) then light ship to Vancouver

#22 ·
Joined "Sharon" In San Pedro on the way back to Newport with timber from Canada. Steve Wiliams was the old man, Jimmy Fidler CEO. 2EO from Stilton (?) Peter something, can't remember. Spent all night in Newport trying to put the hatch covers back around valentines day. I joined BSS in 1964 on 'Ripon' with Capt. Jack Pratt. I have a pic of Capt. Malcolm Siddle, C/0 Parry & 2/0Mike Pitick
plus R/O Kevin Ellison the latter who I still see on a regular basis.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.