Ships Nostalgia banner

"Crossed the Bar"

6K views 16 replies 16 participants last post by  tsell 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
23rd January 2006. Age 87. Albert Mustoe. Albert was a Fireman & Trimmer onboard the SS Chaucer, 5,792grt, (Shakespear Shipping Co.) which was sunk by the German commerce raider Orion on the 29th July 1941 while sailing in ballast from Middlesbrough to Buenos Aries. The Chaucer was intercepted off the Cape Verde Islands and shelled and torpedoed to destruction. Miraculously all 48 crew survived and were taken prisoner, eventually ending up in the Merchant Navy PoW camp Milag Nord. Four of her crew were eventually repatriated. Albert Mustoe (PoW No. 110940) and the rest of his shipmates were interned for the duration of the war until the camp was liberated on the 28th April 1945.

All calm sea's from now on Albert.

#3 ·
Billy1963 said:
23rd January 2006. Age 87. Albert Mustoe. Albert was a Fireman & Trimmer onboard the SS Chaucer, 5,792grt, (Shakespear Shipping Co.) which was sunk by the German commerce raider Orion on the 29th July 1941 while sailing in ballast from Middlesbrough to Buenos Aries. The Chaucer was intercepted off the Cape Verde Islands and shelled and torpedoed to destruction. Miraculously all 48 crew survived and were taken prisoner, eventually ending up in the Merchant Navy PoW camp Milag Nord. Four of her crew were eventually repatriated. Albert Mustoe (PoW No. 110940) and the rest of his shipmates were interned for the duration of the war until the camp was liberated on the 28th April 2005.

All calm sea's from now on Albert.
May His spirit be guided by fair winds on calm waters (Thumb)

#4 ·
I was reading this last night and thought of Albert and I hope in the end he thought his journey 'good'.

Happy is he who, like Ulysses, has made a good journey
Or like that other who won the golden fleece,
And then returned, used well by the world and wise,
To live among his kin and thereby end his days!

Joachim du Bellay, French, 1522-60

#13 ·
Sad to report the passing of William Henry Allen. Bill was a fifteen years old first trip deck boy on the Port Lincoln during operation Pedestal. I was greatly helped by Hugh Maclean and Hugh Fergusson in obtaining four medals for Bill. He was delighted with them and wore them on MN day in the years left to him.
Here is the letter I received from his daughter.
Kia ora and a happy new year.
I hope you all receive this email and life is good. My father passed away 06/01/18 in a nursing home after fighting off many ills over the three years he was there. The official cause of death was deconditioning and muscular atrophy due to dementia.
I can never thank you enough for all the work put into obtaining the war medals for my Dad over the 2013-2014 period. He had great joy wearing those medals at the ANZAC parades over his last years.
A special thanks to Ronnie for all the emails he wrote while he researched how to do this from the NZ end. As I commented previously, my father actively refused to discuss WW2 as I grew up so our whole family was surprised when he joined the RSA in his 70s, then wanted to know about medals.
You guys all helped make an old man come to terms with that period of his life and we are immensely grateful.
Thanking you all so much
Gail Paul

#14 ·
A very sad but uplifting story. The bravery, spirit and fortitude of the Mariners of Mr Allen's vintage never fails to amaze and inspire me. Mr William Henry Allen sir, I did not know you but I salute you on your final journey, may you rest in peace and may God look after your surviving family? RIP.

#16 · (Edited)
Thank you Ronnie for bringing to our attention the passing of Bill Allen. Very sad news indeed.
For my part, I was honoured to assist you in researching the do***entation required to ensure Bill received his medals and I was so happy to hear that he was able to proudly wear them at an ANZAC parade.
Little do we really know about the experiences and suffering that Bill and his generation of seamen had to go through. All we can do now is ensure they are never forgotten.

I would ask you please to pass on my condolences to Bill's family and friends.

Fair winds and calm seas now Bill. RIP.

Regards
Hugh

#17 ·
Ronnie, that's a very sad, but otherwise, a nice letter to have received, from Bill's daughter. The three of you must feel very proud to have given a man who had so many mixed memories of his earlier years, the opportunity to proudly wear his medals in his later years.
My condolences to William and his loved ones. Rest in peace, old sailor!

Taff

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.