Motor Barge SPITHEAD - Page 2 - Ships Nostalgia
09:44

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Motor Barge SPITHEAD

User Tag List

Old 10th October 2008, 20:59
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1952 - 1962

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT HENDERSON View Post
Hi Frank
Do remember the NUS representitave at Harwich named Bob Lee. When he knew I was joining the Triton he said ''That ship is manned from every prison in Britain except Holloway.

Regards Robert
Can't say I remember a Bob Lee, must be my age! sorry. Regards Frank.
Old 29th September 2016, 12:49

X 44 iron not steel
Old 30th September 2016, 10:05

Hi Jon and all,
Good to see you still thinking about the Spithead. just to say she is still about sitting in her mud berth...
Quite a lot of interest from the UK National historic ships at the moment. She has been designated as a WW1 surviving vessel and their researcher is currently looking into her WW1 service.
If anyone has any info regarding her use during the first World war it would be very helpful. All the best
Old 31st December 2016, 01:58

MB Spithead

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul the barge View Post
Hi Jon and all,
Good to see you still thinking about the Spithead. just to say she is still about sitting in her mud berth...
Quite a lot of interest from the UK National historic ships at the moment. She has been designated as a WW1 surviving vessel and their researcher is currently looking into her WW1 service.
If anyone has any info regarding her use during the first World war it would be very helpful. All the best
G,day Paul, hope alls well , info I have , is just what I've always been told by my father who was skipper after Horlocks got her back from scapa flow, she was at Gallipoli ... and was used as a fresh water carrier . He was skipper directly after Peter Horlock, and I'm sure his mate at the time was Knobby Malthouse who still lives in Mistley. Cheers, Jonny.
Old 31st December 2016, 16:04

Hi Jonny and all,
Thanks for that info, it's really useful to have more little snippets of her life. The guy from the Historics ships committee has been very helpful in trying to trace her early days.
Although he has been led to believe that she only went to france in WW1 ?? This info having come from a chap who has done a lot of research on the X-Lighters.....But from my own work I know that Spithead was one of the first 8-10 X-Lighters to be built, so would surely have gone straight out to the Gallipoli campaign to do the very job they were designed for?
Very interesting that your own knowledge points to her being a water carrier out there though.
Great to keep in touch Jonny and all the best for the New Year everyone.
Best regards, Paul
Old 14th April 2019, 19:29

spithead

spithead wear is she now I would like to come and see her I used to own her. can't remember when my memory is not good I would have to think hard.I'm in Norfolk now! I had Spithead and carid sand from Brightlingsea to Wandsworth London. [email protected]
Old 14th April 2019, 21:11
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1960 - 1966

My location
David,

paulthebarge has not been on Ships Nostalgia since July last year. Suggest that you try to contact him using the SN site's email or Private Message facilities.

Good luck

Never regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many. Don't worry about old age - it doesn't last.
Old 14th April 2019, 23:00
Active: 1970 - 1985

Last I saw was she was based in Sandwich in Kent.
Old 15th April 2019, 15:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Stringer View Post
David,

paulthebarge has not been on Ships Nostalgia since July last year. Suggest that you try to contact him using the SN site's email or Private Message facilities.

Good luck
HI, Ron thanks for the reply how do I get the email off Paul? how do I do that!
Old 15th April 2019, 20:15
Active: 1960 - 1966

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by david Haggis View Post
HI, Ron thanks for the reply how do I get the email off Paul? how do I do that!
Find any post by Paul and click on his name (top, left-hand side of the post). A menu will appear from which you select 'View This Member's Profile' and click on it.

At the top of the profile there are a series of tabs across the page, amongst them 'Contact Info'. Selecting that will give you three options - 'Send a Visitor Message to Paul', 'Send a Private Message to Paul' and 'Send an email to Paul'.

Good luck

Never regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many. Don't worry about old age - it doesn't last.
Old 16th April 2019, 08:05

Smile

Hi Folks,
Thanks Ron for the assistance,
Hello to David, would be really good to get in touch and have a chat about the old gal. Happy for you to come and see her too.
Could you send me a private message Dave? we can go from there.
Thanks all.
Best Paul