Jupiter and Leda - Ships Nostalgia
08:00

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Jupiter and Leda

User Tag List

Old 15th September 2009, 12:07

Smile Jupiter and Leda

Hi Gents I am trying to find out plus Photo of the above ships.
at present all i know about them is they were proberly ferries. operating out of North Shields UK
The Jupiter had a White hull with cream superstructure While funnel and had a gold emblem on her bows. she went to Norway I think

The Leda operated from the same Quay at North Shields but do not know where she went She had a Black Hull with White superstructure Black Funnel with three white bands around, I have been told she ran aground At Groyn at some time But was floated off at high tide .

Would be Greatfull for any help

Jim Yates
Old 15th September 2009, 12:27

My location
There are several pictures of both vessels in the gallery if you do a search, Jim.
Old 15th September 2009, 15:15
Active: 1910 - 1910

The Leda operated from the same Quay at North Shields but do not know where she went She had a Black Hull with White superstructure Black Funnel with three white bands around, I have been told she ran aground At Groyn at some time But was floated off at high tide .
Jim Yates[/QUOTE]

Hello Jim
Always a smart looking ship built in 1953 here at Swan Hunters on the Tyne The Leda belonged to the Bergen Line Norway and did indeed run regular service with the other Bergen lines Venus from North Shields to both Bergen and Oslo.
https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/galler...p?photo=131172
The Jupiter you refer to belonged to the Fred Olsen Line also Norweigen and also ran the North Shields/Bergen/Stavanger run with the Breamar and Blemheim
However I think there was also was another Jupiter later doing the same run from North Shields belonging to Fjord Line.
If you PM me I can send you some pictures
Hope this helps
Old 15th September 2009, 15:58

Remember the grounding. Was on a ship doing trials. Noticed the ship merging with the Groyne. No one would believe me. Opinion seemed to be that a passenger ship grounding would cause a great deal of interest but no comment was heard from the shore. Will have the date somewhere in one of my old diaries
Bert.
Old 15th September 2009, 16:03
Active: 1910 - 1910

Quote:
Originally Posted by bert thompson View Post
Remember the grounding. Was on a ship doing trials. Noticed the ship merging with the Groyne. No one would believe me. Opinion seemed to be that a passenger ship grounding would cause a great deal of interest but no comment was heard from the shore. Will have the date somewhere in one of my old diaries
Bert.
Hello Bert
You must be about my age to remember that
It will be interesting to see the dates as I never knew one went aground by the groyne
Old 15th September 2009, 21:12

Jupiter/Black Watch 1966. Jointly owned by Det Bergenske Dampskipselskap (Bergen Line) and Fred Olsen & Co. Jupiter during the winter months on the Newcastle - Stavanger - Bergen run. Black Watch during summer cruises to the Canary Isl. for Fred Olsen.
Knut.
Old 16th September 2009, 08:02

Newby
Alas I cannot pinpoint the date. For many years I did newbuild trials for Tyne,Sunderland and Blyth.Was employed with Decca Radar. I will have the date of a trial from the Tyne but no reference to the Leda grounding.
Looking at your profile and seeing your connection with Tugs. I was for a time "Wireless Man" for Lawson Batey tugs. That was in 1956. Did sea trials on "last ship" from Blyth that was Princess Ann and the Rogate. The Rogate was loaded and we joined by tug. Forget the name but recall doing a service on the radar on the way out to sea.
Regards
Bert.
Old 16th September 2009, 16:24

Thank you all for the information you have been a great help.
Jim Yates
Old 16th September 2009, 16:39
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Active: 1959 - 1979

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Yates View Post
Hi Gents I am trying to find out plus Photo of the above ships.

Jim Yates
Leda went from Tyne Commissioners Qay to Bremen. I sailed on her as a passenger I think in 1957.
Old 23rd September 2009, 23:03

I sailed as a passenger on Leda in 1964 from the Tyne to Bergen. She did indeed have a black funnel with white bands, the colours of the Bergen Steamship Company. Comfortable ship with a solid feel, I recall. 6700 tons, 421ft long, 57ft beam, twin-screw turbine steamer capable of 21 knots. Built by Swan Hunter in 1953.
Many years later (1980's), I was on a cruise that called at Dubrovnik when another cruise ship came in, her lines looking oddly familiar. Yes, it was Leda in her new guise as Albatros! She subsequently changed hands again, ending her days as Star of Venice, and was scrapped in Turkey in 2001.
Old 24th September 2009, 08:30

Forgot to say in my earlier report that when the Leda grounded it was thick fog. Can't find the date but remember that Claude Ramsey was the Pilot so the ship I was on would have been from the Naval Yard
Bert.
Old 4th October 2009, 00:28
andysk andysk is offline   SN Supporter
Super Moderator (L)
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1970 - 1978

For those interested in the fate of LEDA, this site may be of interest ....

http://www.allatsea.co.za/cruises/betsy.htm

A bit of a debacle, and some sad pics ...

Cheers

Andy
Old 4th October 2009, 04:46

My location
Re Leda, in late 1954 she went to the aid of the Narva but found no survivors, only a liferaft, Narva went down with all hands on a voyage from Malmo to Aberdeen. I was on Winga/GVLW at the time and we left Gothenburg
at the same time bound for Glasgow, lousy weather all the way across the North Sea. Narva got out one SOS only and Leda was the nearest ship. Narva was due in Aberdeen on Christmas Day and the crews families were there to meet them and spend Christmas together. Glens of Glasgow being such a small Company we knew most of the crews
Ern Barrett
Old 16th June 2019, 13:32

leda - albatross

leda - seen in a later role as the albatross - she was my first cruise ship as the betsy ross
Attached Images
File Type: jpg albatross.jpg (164.6 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg leda.jpg (141.5 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg Betsy Ross.jpg (73.8 KB, 6 views)