Ex-Warsash Cadets including Geoff Mathias - Ships Nostalgia
15:48

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Ex-Warsash Cadets including Geoff Mathias

User Tag List

Old 30th March 2008, 18:08

Ex-Warsash Cadets including Geoff Mathias

I'm keen to hear from anyone who was at Warsash with me Jan - Dec 1959. In particular Geoff Mathias, originally from Bromley, who at that time lived in Ceylon (Sri Lanka). Like me he joined Furness Prince Lines as a cadet however we never sailed together. If you've any news of Geoff 1960 onwards please let me know.

West Africa Health Warning!
Beware, beware the Bight of Benin,
Few come out though many go in!!
Old 27th April 2008, 19:57

Hi Chris,
Sorry, no news but I remember Geoff Mathias at Warsash. He was a senior in my junior term.
Richard Masson.
Old 27th April 2008, 23:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailtie View Post
Hi Chris,
Sorry, no news but I remember Geoff Mathias at Warsash. He was a senior in my junior term.
Richard Masson.
Thanks for replying Richard, Geoff and I were close friends Jan-Dec 1959.

Old 28th April 2008, 00:04

Warsash

Hi Chris

we missed each other by a term. I was there Jan-Dec 1958. I served an apprenticeship with Shaw Savill but failed eyesight at 2nd mates. Chris Dancaster who was at School of Nav with me came to dinner last month. I think the Master of QM2 is an other Warsash man. I think there is a Warsash association and there are some names listed on Friendsreunited site

Good luck with your hunt

John
Old 28th April 2008, 01:24
Discredited Member

I sailed a couple of times with a BluFlu Middy called Ralph Elliott ex Warsash. His father ran the power station at Aden.
Anybody know what happened to him ?
Old 28th April 2008, 10:01

Warsash

Quote:
Originally Posted by John.H.Clark View Post
Hi Chris

we missed each other by a term. I was there Jan-Dec 1958. I served an apprenticeship with Shaw Savill but failed eyesight at 2nd mates. Chris Dancaster who was at School of Nav with me came to dinner last month. I think the Master of QM2 is an other Warsash man. I think there is a Warsash association and there are some names listed on Friendsreunited site

Good luck with your hunt

John
G'day John
Thanks for your interest and suggestions. In fact I'm a member of Warsash Association, have a look at http://www.allhandsonline.co.uk - new members always welcome! Committee is currently working on how to "refresh" the association and website as membership has been rather static whilst there are a huge numbers of ex-cadets around the world most of whom will have Internet access.
Journal Summer Edition 2002 in the Archives contains photo of my Jan 1959 intake. You'll also find other term photos in other journal editions including those who were two terms before me. Why not have a scan through? I first contacted several ex-cadets via FR and I've left a message there for Geoff in case he should visit the site.
I'm in email contact with about half a dozen from my term also Jim McIntyre who was one term after you started.
Have you read other Warsash threads at SN?

Old 17th March 2009, 17:51

I sailed with Geof Mathias on the Queen of Bermuda. I was junior 3rd officer and he was senior cadet. I think he left the ship in November 1963.
Martin Howse
Old 17th March 2009, 18:53
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1956 - 1986

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topherjohn View Post
G'day John
Thanks for your interest and suggestions. In fact I'm a member of Warsash Association, have a look at http://www.allhandsonline.co.uk - new members always welcome! Committee is currently working on how to "refresh" the association and website as membership has been rather static whilst there are a huge numbers of ex-cadets around the world most of whom will have Internet access.
Journal Summer Edition 2002 in the Archives contains photo of my Jan 1959 intake. You'll also find other term photos in other journal editions including those who were two terms before me. Why not have a scan through? I first contacted several ex-cadets via FR and I've left a message there for Geoff in case he should visit the site.
I'm in email contact with about half a dozen from my term also Jim McIntyre who was one term after you started.
Have you read other Warsash threads at SN?
It might be of interest to the Warsash Association to know that on 27th March The Merchant Mariners of Wight will be presenting the Tony McGinnity Memorial Award to Warsash Cadet Orry Crews. The award this year is a laptop and an external hard-drive woth approximately 500. If you would like more details I can send a report after the meeting.

Ted
Old 17th March 2009, 20:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Howse View Post
I sailed with Geof Mathias on the Queen of Bermuda. I was junior 3rd officer and he was senior cadet. I think he left the ship in November 1963.
Martin Howse
Martin
Thanks for your note about Geoff. Do you have any later news of him or any idea about where he might be at present? Like Geoff I also served my time with Furness.
Are you by any chance an ex-Warsash cadet? I am in contact with quite a few of them if of any interest.

Old 4th February 2012, 18:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangoer View Post
I sailed a couple of times with a BluFlu Middy called Ralph Elliott ex Warsash. His father ran the power station at Aden.
Anybody know what happened to him ?
Ralph Elliott was another cadet at Warsash with myself and Geoff Mathias in1959. Not heard any news of Ralph since but any information welcome.

Old 4th February 2012, 23:20
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1958 - 1991

Quote:
Ralph Elliott was another cadet at Warsash with myself and Geoff Mathias in1959. Not heard any news of Ralph since but any information welcome.
I sailed as Middy with Ralph two voyages on Diomed and one on Antenor (Blue Funnel). His father ran the power station at Aden as I recall, he had a delightful sister that I only met once :-(

We lost touch when I went to do 2nd Mates @ L'pool and he had one more voyage of seatime. Haven't hear of/from him since. Delightful guy.
Old 5th February 2012, 17:50

Hi Chris. I was a cadet with Geoff Mathias on the Queen of Bermuda at the time Martin Howse mentioned. I subsequently met him in 1969 when he was Second Mate on a Cairn Line ship, on loan from Furness, as I was, on their only other ship. He was married to a Welsh girl and lived somewhere in Wales. Unfortunately I can't remember where! Not much to go on, I'm afraid, after so many years.
Peter Hockaday
Old 7th February 2012, 12:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windsor View Post
Hi Chris. I was a cadet with Geoff Mathias on the Queen of Bermuda at the time Martin Howse mentioned. I subsequently met him in 1969 when he was Second Mate on a Cairn Line ship, on loan from Furness, as I was, on their only other ship. He was married to a Welsh girl and lived somewhere in Wales. Unfortunately I can't remember where! Not much to go on, I'm afraid, after so many years.
Peter Hockaday
Peter
Many thanks, that's the first clue about Geoff whereabouts I've received. Will have to do some research around Wales.
Where are you in Tasmania and how long have you been there? After coming ashore I worked at Burnie 1973 - 76 for a UK company Tioxide, last visited on holiday 2001.
Rgds Chris

Old 7th February 2012, 12:54

Quote:
Peter
Many thanks, that's the first clue about Geoff whereabouts I've received. Will have to do some research around Wales.
Where are you in Tasmania and how long have you been there? After coming ashore I worked at Burnie 1973 - 76 for a UK company Tioxide, last visited on holiday 2001.
Rgds Chris
Peter - obviously got your message confused with 'Stachan's message' - I see you live in RSA not Tassie. Just turned 70 so my son's tell me I'm allowed to do that!
Chris

Old 7th February 2012, 12:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strachan View Post
I sailed as Middy with Ralph two voyages on Diomed and one on Antenor (Blue Funnel). His father ran the power station at Aden as I recall, he had a delightful sister that I only met once :-(

We lost touch when I went to do 2nd Mates @ L'pool and he had one more voyage of seatime. Haven't hear of/from him since. Delightful guy.
Many thanks for your information. Were you by any chance at Warsash or take any of your tickets there?