Shipwrecks of Yorkshires East Coast. - Ships Nostalgia
07:14

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Shipwrecks of Yorkshires East Coast.

User Tag List

Old 6th March 2018, 17:50

Smile Shipwrecks of Yorkshires East Coast.

Hello & Good Evening.

I am currently in the early stages of a Masters Degree in Architecture and I have chosen the area of Sand Le Mere to design a building that responds to the context of that area; My primary focuses being : The Prime Meridian and the lost villages and ships of the Yorkshire coastline.

I am hoping for information regarding shipwrecks off the East Coast of Yorkshire, wreckage locations, stories or images if possible.

I realise there have been hundreds if not thousands of wrecks along the coastline, So I am trying to focus on the area of Sand Le Mere; just north of Withernsea.

It would be greatly appreciated if anyone could help.
Old 6th March 2018, 20:05

Two books that might help, both available on Amazon:
Shipwrecks of the Yorkshire Coast by Godfrey and Lassey;
The Great Gale of 1871
Old 6th March 2018, 20:22

I have the Godfrey book, picked it up today, Interesting read.

will check out the other, Thank you very much.
Old 8th March 2018, 20:11

Does anyone think a building that remembers the loss of ships and lives could be successful even out on the coast ? A building that would still stand proud even after the coast erodes.. standing proud abouve the water level remembering the loss of ships and lives while highlighting the rate of erosion.. would love to hear the thoughts of people who take shipping seriously and care about its heritage..
Old 17th March 2018, 05:21
Bilge Rat
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1957 - 1963

My location
A warm welcome aboard from the Philippines. Please enjoy all this great site has to offer.
Old 20th March 2018, 18:26

If you can access the "Bridlington Today" group on Facebook you will see what your proposed building will have to contend with on the Yorkshire coast during a storm.
Old 22nd March 2018, 07:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterDD View Post
If you can access the "Bridlington Today" group on Facebook you will see what your proposed building will have to contend with on the Yorkshire coast during a storm.
John Paul Jones' ship "Bonhomme Richard" was wrecked in the Battle of Flamborough Head (1779) - they keep looking for the wreck but don't think they've found it.

Just heard from a relative about the recent storms at Redcar which have washed away the sand and revealed a 6000 year old petrified forest and the remains of some ancient boats. The forest is believed to be from the old Doggerland when England was connected to the continent - fascinating stuff and well before Brexit. Apparently the forest has appeared before but It's the first time I've heard of it. Think the tide has brought the sand back and covered it again.

John T