William Meddings - Bankline - Ships Nostalgia
17:42

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

William Meddings - Bankline

User Tag List

Old 19th January 2017, 13:40

William Meddings - Bankline

Hello,

My sister and I are trying to find anyone who remembers our brother William Meddings from 1969.

He was an officer / apprentice officer on the Bankline going back to 1969. Sadly he was killed whilst on one of the bank line ships when docked in Mozambique in May 1969 when he was a week short of his 19th birthday. I think he was on either Birchbank, Springbank or similar.

I came across my brother's death certificate a few days ago and it was then that I realised I had so many unanswered questions surrounding the circumstances of his death and I knew little about his life when he was in the merchant navy.

As far as we are aware he fell down the hold in the ship whilst in port and he died on the way to the nearest hospital. Apparently his body was cremated whilst he was in Mozambique and his ashes flown home to North Wales UK soon after.

With having a fairly unusual surname there may be someone who knew him and remembers him or perhaps were with him when he died? His friends/colleagues would possibly be in their mid to late 60's now.

Is there anyone out there who is able to fill in some gaps about our brother?

Thank you all in advance!
Marganne
Old 19th January 2017, 22:56
Bilge Rat
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1957 - 1963

My location
A warm welcome aboard from the Philippines. Please enjoy all all this great site has to offer
Old 20th January 2017, 10:30
Super Moderator
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1964 - 1998

My location
Marganne,

On behalf of the Moderating team welcome to SN. Good luck with your research.There is a Bank Line sub forum in the Shipping Lines forum. Maybe a request there could help, as many may not see your request here.

Hawkey01
Old 20th January 2017, 12:32

Hello to you both and thank you so much for your replies, I have put up requests on both the Bankline and Indefatigable forums.

Thanks again
Marganne
Old 25th January 2017, 15:39
Active: 1970 - 1980

Hi Marganne,
Not sure if you're aware, but there is a separate website, "Bankline Nostalgia". As the name implies, this site is restricted purely to us ex Bankliners. I have posted your message in its entirety on this alternative site, with a request for information. If I hear anything back I'll let you know.
All the best, good luck in your quest!
Kevin
Old 26th January 2017, 09:19

Hi Kevin

Thank you so much for that! I didn't know about that site. I have just tried to sign up but it keeps saying there's a temporary fault - on reading your post perhaps it's because it's restricted? So if you could pass on / repost any replies that would be so helpful of you - I will try again to sign up later on.

Again, many thanks for your kindness - my sister and I would so love to hear from anyone who knew our brother.

Marganne
Old 22nd June 2017, 07:23
Department: Navigation
Active: 1951 - 1999

My location
Record search

[QUOTE=marganne;2341841]Hello,

My sister and I are trying to find anyone who remembers our brother William Meddings from 1969.

He was an officer / apprentice officer on the Bankline going back to 1969. Sadly he was killed whilst on one of the bank line ships when docked in Mozambique in May 1969 when he was a week short of his 19th birthday. I think he was on either Birchbank, Springbank or similar.

I came across my brother's death certificate a few days ago and it was then that I realised I had so many unanswered questions surrounding the circumstances of his death and I knew little about his life when he was in the merchant navy.

As far as we are aware he fell down the hold in the ship whilst in port and he died on the way to the nearest hospital. Apparently his body was cremated whilst he was in Mozambique and his ashes flown home to North Wales UK soon after.

With having a fairly unusual surname there may be someone who knew him and remembers him or perhaps were with him when he died? His friends/colleagues would possibly be in their mid to late 60's now.

Is there anyone out there who is able to fill in some gaps about our brother?

Hallo Marganne

Sorry to read about your brother and the painful memories.

You mentioned a couple of ship's names, and I wonder if you have any more information that would help jog some recall by the Bank Line readers.

If you could confirm the ship, or better still, discharge book entries with dates? Anything extra would help. It was a bit after my time personally but there are things like crew lists that I have seen.

Best Wishes/Alan R
Old 22nd June 2017, 11:22

Hello,
I don't know if this document refers to your brother. The time scale fits.
http://discovery.nationalarchives.go...ils/r/C8601448
If it is him, this would be his seaman's pouch and may give some clues as to his demise.
Also contact MCA to see if they have anything.
https://www.gov.uk/government/organi...stguard-agency

regards Roger
Old 3rd July 2017, 11:27

Hi Roger, thanks for the link. Yes it is William. So perhaps a visit to Kew might be in order? We've been told that somewhere there will be ships records that will have a list of crew members on board the ship when the accident occurred. My sister and I have had quite a few messages from people who were in the training school Indefatigable with him but we would love to make contact with someone who was on that fateful trip with William.
Again, many thanks for your reply
Marianne
Old 3rd July 2017, 11:28

Sorry, darned predictive text! that should say Marganne
Old 3rd July 2017, 12:02

William Meddings

thumbnail_Will 7.jpg

thumbnail_Will 6.jpg

This is my brother William. These photos may jog someone's memory of him aboard Birchbank and Spingbank. He was on board Springbank when he died in an accident on May 27th 1969. The ship was near Mozambique in the port of Antonio Enes. William was a week short of his 19th birthday.
Please contact me if anyone can remember him? Many thanks
Marganne
Old 3rd July 2017, 17:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by marganne View Post
Hi Roger, thanks for the link. Yes it is William. So perhaps a visit to Kew might be in order? We've been told that somewhere there will be ships records that will have a list of crew members on board the ship when the accident occurred. My sister and I have had quite a few messages from people who were in the training school Indefatigable with him but we would love to make contact with someone who was on that fateful trip with William.
Again, many thanks for your reply
Marianne
Hello again,
If you are familiar with the workings of the National Archives, a trip to Kew would be advisable. It can be a bit overpowering on your first visit but it should be simple to look at his Seaman's pouch.
What you need is the name and more importantly the official number his last ship. Once you have this information you can the proceed to look at the logbook and crew agreements of his last ship. This is maybe at Kew or more probably the Memorial University of Newfoundland. Don't worry about this as they have a first class(for a fee)research service.
I don't know if apprentices had a Form CRS10. If they did this may make it easier to find out his last ship. Here's a link.
http://discovery.nationalarchives.go...ls/r/C11001399.
These records ae kept in blocks of 60 names.
If you do find the name of the ship you can consult Lloyd's Register in TNA library to find her official number.
Whilst in London it may pay you to look at Bank Line archives. Held by London Metropolitan Archives.
https://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/thin...drew-weir.aspx
regards
Roger
Old 3rd July 2017, 20:11
Active: 1981 - 2003

My location
Official Number of Springbank was 5337159

George Santayana (1863 - 1952)
Old 4th July 2017, 23:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duncan112 View Post
Official Number of Springbank was 5337159
I think that the Springbank on which the accident occurred had an On of301466,
Built harland & Wolf 1962
Old 5th July 2017, 09:48
Active: 1981 - 2003

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimthehat View Post
I think that the Springbank on which the accident occurred had an On of301466,
Built harland & Wolf 1962
You are, of course, correct - the number I quoted would appear to be the Lloyds number - thanks

George Santayana (1863 - 1952)
Old 3rd August 2017, 13:13
Active: 1970 - 1980

Hello again Marganne,
As I mentioned in my earlier response, I posted your message on "Bank Line Nostalgia". One reply, followed by a correction, came from ex Bank Liner John Kitto. He replied as follows:

"Hi, I was first trip apprentice with a Chap called William Wallace Meddings from Conway in North Wales. His dad was a fisherman (as was mine)and I believe he had been to HMS Indefatigable. Our ship was the Pinebank and the captain was Doug Scott, the mate was Dai Rees. We were on that trip from July 1966 to early 1967 paying off in Belfast. We also served together on The Sprucebank under Captain Henry Allen and 1st Mate John Farringdon. I tried to keep in touch with him after that but this would appear to explain the reason why we lost touch.

Re my previous post. I checked some old papers and It appears I made an error, I was not with Bill Meddings on the Pinebank, it was the Sprucebank and then the Streambank under Captain Peter Simpson. I was hospitalised in Australia then sent home."

This may be of interest. Hope you're having luck with your quest.

Kevin