Epirotiki's Jupiter - Ships Nostalgia
13:56

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Epirotiki's Jupiter

User Tag List

Old 9th June 2012, 00:12
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Office / Administration
Active: 2006 - Present

Epirotiki's Jupiter

Hello everybody!!

I am searching info about Jupiter wreck at Piraeus on 21.10.1988 .I was nine days old then...I am searching about photos of the wreck and videos of this..Are they anywhere..

Can you tell me some info about this wreck?
Old 24th August 2019, 17:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetranPireotis View Post
Hello everybody!!

I am searching info about Jupiter wreck at Piraeus on 21.10.1988 .I was nine days old then...I am searching about photos of the wreck and videos of this..Are they anywhere..

Can you tell me some info about this wreck?
I can tell you that my suitcase is there.

Did you find anything (as this post is old and as a survivor I'm curious)?
Old 25th August 2019, 10:09
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Office / Administration
Active: 2006 - Present

Good day.
Hv found some photos of the ship while sinking at the survivors group at facebook.
and posted them in my site.
http://www.pireaspiraeus.com/jupiter-shipwreck-piraeus/

Regarding the wreck itself , it is difficult to go because it is out of the port and many ships are passing.Also asked some known divers and noone has photos of it .
Old 11th March 2020, 15:36

jupiter sinking

i had by chance asked the same question today
Attached Images
File Type: jpg jupiter (2).jpg (206.2 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg jupiter (3).jpg (200.8 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg jupiter (1).jpg (33.6 KB, 54 views)
Old 11th March 2020, 20:45

Go through the information and especially the 1 hour 'documentary film' of the sinking. Well worth the time.

One idiot stands out... a spokesman from Lloyd's. Not a clue about shipping about how ship are navigated. He says thing like, "Passenger ship go on set courses to various ports. Cargo ships don't do that. They just go wherever they want. The cargo ship MUST be at fault."

I have tried to find a report about the collision. Nothing yet.

Stephen
Old 11th March 2020, 21:53

Part of what was said at the enquiry.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled.jpg (157.8 KB, 11 views)
Old 11th March 2020, 22:39

He said, "Probably the wind pushed against it."

Hmmm.... look at the footage of the scene. It was flat calm!

Another: He (Jupiter) "... tacked violently to starboard."

And: "I was stopped at least ten minutes." "I saw the ship come out of the port and promptly that it was on a collision course."

And: "Immediately reversed engines." "Not enough time to do it."

Sounds waffle. On the courses they were doing, the Jupiter was the stand on vessel. The Italian should have used his horn and reversed or started to turn to starboard.

I'd like to see the comments from Jupiter.
Old 11th March 2020, 22:49

UPI Report:

The skipper of an Italian freighter that rammed and...

By
RALPH JOSEPH

      (0)

ATHENS, Greece -- The skipper of an Italian freighter that rammed and sank a Greek cruise vessel was charged Monday with manslaughter, negligence and violation of harbor regulations, court officials in Piraeus harbor said.

Hours after Capt. Flavio Caminale of the 5,054-ton freighter Adige appeared in court, the Greek coast guard and harbor police ended a search for two passengers missing since the cruise ship Jupiter sank Friday.

British student Vivienne Barley, 14, and teacher Bernard Butt, 41, were presumed dead, Merchant Marine Ministry sources said. Two Greek crewmen aboard the Jupiter died in the collision and 72 people were injured.

Caminale's ship rammed the 6,306-ton Jupiter late Friday as the cruise ship was leaving the harbor with 471 students, 15 teachers and 106 crew aboard.

Caminale denied responsibility for the collision. He said he was waiting for a Greek pilot to come aboard and guide his freighter into port when the Jupiter's captain made a sudden wrong maneuver on seeing the Adige and caused the collision.

Piraeus prosecutor George Vlasis charged Caminale with manslaughter, negligence, causing bodily injury, wrecking a vessel and violating Greek harbor regulations. He faces a maximum of five years in jail if convicted.

Caminale has 48 hours to prepare his defense. He was scheduled to appear before a magistrate Wednesday, said court officials in Piraeus, 10 miles south of Athens.

A spokesman for Epirotiki Lines,the Jupiter's operators, refused to comment on Caminale's allegation that the cruise ship captain was at fault, 'because the case is now being handled in court.'

He also refused to say if Epirotiki has witnesses to back up charges Caminale was to blame.

The Greek coast guard opened an investigation into the collision immediately after it occurred.

In Genoa, Italy, the owner of the Adige accused Greek authorities of altering evidence in order to charge Caminale with responsibility, and contended it was the Jupiter rather than his ferry that should be blamed for the sinking.

'The responsibility for the collision was the Jupiter's because of its approach that brought it to hit the prow of the Adige,' said Aldo Grimaldi. 'To safeguard their own tourism, the Greeks necessarily have to emerge clean from this case for which they had to hide the truth and alter the evidence.'

Grimaldi also questioned the seaworthiness of the Jupiter, which he said should not have sunk so soon from the minor damage suffered in the collision. He said Italian and English maritime experts and lawyers will arrive in Athens by Wednesday to defend Caminale.

Harbor sources earlier said the Adige apparently had stopped its engines while waiting for the Greek pilot to come aboard, but the ship's momentum may have continued to carried it forward slowly.

To stop the ship completely, Caminale should have reversed his engines, the sources said. When he did reverse engines, the bow of his ship already was in the Jupiter's hull.

Caminale pulled the Adige back after the collision, but water then rushed through the gap in the Jupiter's hull, causing the cruise ship to sink before rescue boats could be lowered. Passengers and crew were forced to jump into the sea.

In Rome, the Italian Merchant Marine Ministry said in a statement Saturday that the Adige was 'stationary for 10 minutes' before the accident and Caminale 'ordered full speed astern' after noticing the Jupiter was on a collision course.

The Adige's first mate, Nicole Merone, 42, told the Italian News Agency ANSA the freighter was 'practically stationary' before the collision occurred.

In London, the International Maritime Organization Conference called for international safety laws banning older cruise ships from operating in the Mediterranean Sea after the sinking of the 27-year-old Jupiter.

If successful, the campaign would force the withdrawal of at least 24 similar ships.

Under pressure from the powerful U.S. delegation to the conference, the group considered provisions to ensure that badly holed ships sink relatively upright and do not suddenly list as did the Jupiter.
Old 11th March 2020, 22:54

"Harbor sources earlier said the Adige apparently had stopped its engines while waiting for the Greek pilot to come aboard, but the ship's momentum may have continued to carried it forward slowly."