Ellermans Shipping Lines Captain Leaves behind first edition prints - Ships Nostalgia
12:10

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Ellermans Shipping Lines Captain Leaves behind first edition prints

User Tag List

Old 24th January 2013, 12:48

Ellermans Shipping Lines Captain Leaves behind first edition prints

Hi there, you may be able to point me in the right direction of where to get started. Basically my Great Uncle Captian Stan Conyers passed away recently, he was for years after leaving the Navy the Health and Safety Manager for the Ellermans Shipping Line. He left behind 10 first edition framed prints by various artists of the lines ships at various locations across the globe. They are very beautiful, but wasted sitting here in a box. We offered them to the company and they were not interested even though they are highly collectable. Where should i post, what thread etc? I'd love to find a home for them as i'm sure there are many members on this site that these would be invaluable to.

Many thanks,

Amy
Old 24th January 2013, 15:23

My location
Many thanks for posting about these Amy.I`m not sure there is anywhere on this site that is available for putting items for sale,maybe someone will be along later that knows better.
I`m sure you won`t, but please don`t throw them away.
Much as I hate saying it, there is always EBay,that will definately get rid of them for you.
I suppose it depends on whether you want them to be kept as one lot or not,very difficult to put a price on them:no problem giving them away (I would have them for a start)Hopefully someone will have a better idea than me.
Please keep us informed

Richard
Old 24th January 2013, 16:13
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck

I think I vaguely remember Stan Conyers from when I was 3rd Mate in Ellermans, did he used to be a cargo superintendant laoding in Birkenhead. My condolences to the family.

Which ships are the prints of ?
Old 24th January 2013, 17:26
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1964 - 1975

My location
I have a feeling the site rules do not allow you to engage in commercial activity. I am sure that is not Amy's intention but it can be construed that way. I hope there is a solution to this because maritime art is very popular on the site and many people may be interested in purchasing/bidding for these prints, not only Ellerman's men.
Old 24th January 2013, 17:29
Administrator

My location
https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/forumdisplay.php?f=362
Old 24th January 2013, 23:45
Forever a Seaman
Department: Navigation
Active: 1956 - 1973

My location
Also have a look at; https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/showthread.php?t=12358
Old 25th January 2013, 09:07
user
Department: Navigation
Active: 1974 - 1991

I'd be very interestyed in knowing which ships and where?
Old 25th January 2013, 12:13
Active: 1964 - 2010

My location
Stan Conyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy262 View Post
Hi there, you may be able to point me in the right direction of where to get started. Basically my Great Uncle Captian Stan Conyers passed away recently, he was for years after leaving the Navy the Health and Safety Manager for the Ellermans Shipping Line. He left behind 10 first edition framed prints by various artists of the lines ships at various locations across the globe. They are very beautiful, but wasted sitting here in a box. We offered them to the company and they were not interested even though they are highly collectable. Where should i post, what thread etc? I'd love to find a home for them as i'm sure there are many members on this site that these would be invaluable to.

Many thanks,

Amy
I worked with Stan in London during 1974-1978. He was great to work with and a very good friend. If you don't want to sell them on eBay or other auctions, I know that one of the maritime museums would love them. Personally I'd love to see them at the Aberdeen maritime museum but I'm prejudiced. Please pass my regards to Stans family. I'm a bit surprised that his brothers who also sailed with Ellermans wouldn't be interested in them. Good luck, Alistair Grubb
Old 25th January 2013, 12:33

Before they disappear for good,could you not photograph then and put them in the 'Gallery'(That way we can all enjoy them)
Old 25th January 2013, 15:19
Active: 1957 - 1991

Ellerman ship pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy262 View Post

Many thanks,

Amy
Hello Amy

As someone who served his seagoing career in various Ellerman City/Hall and Bucknall Lines vessels I am very interested in the pictures you have. I have a number of framed line drawings of Ellerman ships myself, very nostalgic each time I look at them.
Which ships are represented in your pictures and what size are these may I ask. Would be delighted to hear back from you.
Regar5ds
Peter Lester
Old 26th January 2013, 00:30
Department: Engineering
Active: 1957 - 1990

My location
Elder Dempster issued a calendar each year with a reproduction of an original painting by John Stobart, and marvelous pictures they were.
On the demise of the company, the originals were auctioned at Bonhams of London and brought very high prices indeed, a couple of them fetched around £10,000.
I would suggest that anyone possessing paintings of a similar quality should consider following suit.

Derek
Old 10th February 2013, 02:16

What about researching the addresses of the relevant Maritime Museums, e.g. NZ National Maritime Museum for "City of Auckland" ?
Old 10th February 2013, 23:27

Wow!

Wow, what a response!! I haven't had time to read through all and respond individually yet but many thanks to all those that knew my Uncle for your kind words, his brothers were offered the prints but did not want them. I couldn't tell you what ships were in them! But will post them in the gallery. Many thanks for the advice (i wasn't intending to use the site to sell them but to find out where to go to do so).

Last edited by Amy262; 10th February 2013 at 23:38..
Old 22nd October 2013, 18:18

Stan Conyers

Hi Amy,
I think we must have met, I am Stan's brother Malcolm.This is the first I have heard about the prints and I used to visit Stan regularly(to get the lamp swinging). Don my younger brother and I took Mary (Stan's widow) out for tea and cakes last week. I hope to see her again this week before going back to Scarborough where I now live.
I served with Ellerman Line 1955-65 from apprentice to 2nd mate and have much Ellerman memorabilia photos and cine film of my last trip on City of Guildford . I agree with the majority verdict that they should be kept together including my lots. It would be tragic if they were lost for ever.
Remembering our dad was a master mariner and TH pilot and ex Hull Trinity House boy,plus the long family tradition of seafarers from Hull and Whitby including Tristram Conyers master mariner 1640, maybe Hull maritime museum might find the collection of interest.
Old 13th October 2014, 09:45

Does anyone have information about the fate of the 'City of Lichfield'? - having served my time with the Hall Line and staying with Ellermans until I got my Mate's ticket. when I moved to Lichfield I became interested in the ship and managed to get a port hole from the Turkish port where she was scrapped after grounding. I presented the port hole to the local Heritage Centre where it is on display. I have recently obtained a colour photo of the vessel which will be displayed alongside the port hole.
Old 13th October 2014, 18:49

Hi Bardig

Here is some information which may interest you regarding the "City of Lichfield" She was a great ship as I remember and I did two gulf runs on her and a South African run. You will find this information on the shipspotting website with a few good photos of her as the Lichfield and the Leeds.

Regards Shandy
Photo Details
Photographer: Chris Howell [View profile] Title: LEEDS Added: Apr 26, 2012
Captured: May 25, 1979 IMO: 5073832 Hits: 532
Photo Category: General cargo ships built 1960-1969 (Over 3000gt)
Description:
Completed 1961 as CITY OF LICHFIELD

Subsequent History:
78 LEEDS - 80 CITY OF LEEDS

Disposal Data:
wrecked 32.49.30N/30.36.16E 11.11.80 & BU Aliaga 1.1.84 [Bektasoglu]
Old 14th October 2014, 08:55

Many thanks for the information Shandy- | will pursue your suggestions with great interest.