Captains Tiger's - Ships Nostalgia
04:59

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Captains Tiger's

User Tag List

Old 17th April 2007, 13:48

Captains Tiger's

Where did Blue Flue get those Captains Tigers from,did they havea special school? Never saw one with a buddy, they all looked the same and had similar manerism's. Did they have any friends as it seemed not to me. Did they all really drink the skippers booze ? can't imagine John Prescott as a Captains Tiger 1
Old 17th April 2007, 14:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggo View Post
Where did Blue Flue get those Captains Tigers from,did they havea special school? Never saw one with a buddy, they all looked the same and had similar manerism's. Did they have any friends as it seemed not to me. Did they all really drink the skippers booze ? can't imagine John Prescott as a Captains Tiger 1
Good afternoon Les,
Can't imagine John Prescott as anything!
Old 17th April 2007, 22:50
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1972 - 1998

captains Tigers

Quote:
I sailed Captains Tiger on the Cable Ship Alert around 1971 and no i did not drink his booze He used to turn the bottles upside down and mark them. I had lots of friends as i also ran the Officers bar. I think i may have got the job for being the only A/S who polished my shoes before turning to
Old 18th April 2007, 00:07

Hello Eggo
Sailed with a captain’s tiger on the Dunnottar Castle in 1956 who was quite an accomplished marine artist, I was the officer’s steward and we shared a cabin which opened out on to the boat deck just below the bridge. Any spare moments he had he could be found on the boat deck with easel and canvas. The captain used to two host two art shows each trip, one for the bloods outward and one homeward of which the tiger used to do very well out of. He gave me one of a BP tanker and at the time I did not appreciate it as well as I should have, I did get it home, but have no idea what became of it, and sadly I don’t remember the lads name.

Ron
Old 19th April 2007, 11:29

cant imagine john prescott
Old 19th April 2007, 11:29

Frankal & Aldinga, Only winding you up as my best mate on Demodacus was Captains Tiger but he always used to help himself to the skippers spirits. That is until he started to put a plimsol mark on the bottles.Best regards Les
Old 19th April 2007, 11:49

Quote:
Frankal & Aldinga, Only winding you up as my best mate on Demodacus was Captains Tiger but he always used to help himself to the skippers spirits. That is until he started to put a plimsol mark on the bottles.Best regards Les
Les,
First time I've heard of the Plimsol mark referred to in that context. I'll remember that one.
Brgds
Old 19th April 2007, 22:00

Capt Hague ,did you ever lose any of your booze to your steward? And Frankal (Shiney Shoes) why did the master have to mark the the bottles while you were looking after his quarters ?
Old 19th April 2007, 22:24
Active: 1972 - 1998

Shiney Shoes

Quote:
Capt Hague ,did you ever lose any of your booze to your steward? And Frankal (Shiney Shoes) why did the master have to mark the the bottles while you were looking after his quarters ?
His previous Tiger was a plonky and he trusted nobody I think he came from S Shields Not that the two things are necessarily connected
Frankal
Old 19th April 2007, 22:48

Never met a master from Shields, they usually breed engineers around there. Best regards Les
Old 20th April 2007, 00:35
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1960 - 1966

My location
Quote:
Never met a master from Shields, they usually breed engineers around there. Best regards Les
Then you didn't go to Cleadon - in the 1960s it seemed like half the houses were owned by serving or retired ships' Masters.

Never regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many. Don't worry about old age - it doesn't last.
Old 20th April 2007, 06:14

Ron I'm quite sure that many masters come from there it's just seemed like all the chief engineers I sailed with came from around there or the Clyde. They were trained in the many shipbuilding yards in those areas , its sad to see most of those yards closed down .
Old 23rd April 2007, 06:01

the captains new tiger on the Cambridge caused quit a stur when he started doing his scub out in leopard skin pants and a blouse I dont think he lasted very long
Alex
Old 23rd April 2007, 21:49

Quote:
Do know Les, I never gave it a thought. Beer man myself so I don't know whether I would have noticed. Never seemed to be much left after the Agents left in any case.

Brgds

John
Old 24th April 2007, 00:25

My location
Forgive the ignorance, but what is a Captains Tiger?

"There is no such thing as a bum note...I only take the opportunity to expand the transcendental vibrations to explore the lesser known highways and byways of musical theory! I find it best to play it loud...that way no one can say you did not mean it!" Dorothy Willows

Currently testing: www.cable962.listen2myradio.com
www.yellsoundfm.listen2myradio.com
Old 24th April 2007, 04:27

My location
Thankyou, R651400. That would explain why the one in the Leppard skin pants and blouse didn't hang around long!

"There is no such thing as a bum note...I only take the opportunity to expand the transcendental vibrations to explore the lesser known highways and byways of musical theory! I find it best to play it loud...that way no one can say you did not mean it!" Dorothy Willows

Currently testing: www.cable962.listen2myradio.com
www.yellsoundfm.listen2myradio.com
Old 7th May 2007, 12:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hague View Post
Good afternoon Les,
Can't imagine John Prescott as anything!
On Ulysses, capt safe was a swine to open. the old maN "bulls**t Harris" never mastered it. Tiger was chinese used to come down and tell me capt want safeo pened, usual on top.
This meant a gin and tonic poured ready for me, Tiger always announced "Chief Sparks no can open without drinkee". This meant the old man had to have another etc etc.
Old 3rd March 2018, 12:48

Origin of 'Captain's Tiger' title

Does anyone know why and when the Master's steward first became known as the Captain's Tiger? Perhaps in one of the companies such as BI Blue Flu Bibby China Nav etc trading to Asian ports in the 1800s or early 1900s?

West Africa Health Warning!
Beware, beware the Bight of Benin,
Few come out though many go in!!
Old 3rd March 2018, 16:41
Organisation: Coasters
Department: Navigation
Active: 1956 - 2000

My location
Captain always had a Tiger in the RN, as far as I can remember, certainly on the small ships I was on Destroyers, Minesweepers, etc . usually a Seaman .
Old 6th March 2018, 06:23

I read somewhere that the Captain's Tiger was so called because they used to wear a yellow jersey with black stripes or a black jersey with yellow stripes. Dunno if it's true or not. If it is, I wonder why they weren't called the Captain's Bumblebee.

John T
Old 6th March 2018, 09:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by trotterdotpom View Post
I read somewhere that the Captain's Tiger was so called because they used to wear a yellow jersey with black stripes or a black jersey with yellow stripes. Dunno if it's true or not. If it is, I wonder why they weren't called the Captain's Bumblebee.

John T
Oh dear, this has started a thought I don't need. Is a yellow and black striped jersey the same as a black and yellow striped jersey, to put your two descriptions another way? And if there is a distinction, do you start by looking at the top most stripe, and taking that as the start, or start from the bottom and work from there. This is my day ruined.
Old 6th March 2018, 09:45
Catering 1958 - 2007
Active: 1958 - 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by R651400 View Post
Assistant Steward whose entire duties are to look after the Captain.

Cargo/Tankers: 2nd/Stwd looks after Capt accommodation.
Old 6th March 2018, 15:49

I have been attempting a little research into the origin of the term 'Captain's Tiger'.
The SOED has the first recorded use to describe a Captain's personal steward as being early 20th Century.

However, Tiger to describe a person was used much earlier:

Before 1400 it came as the term 'Fen Tiger' - A savage or bloodthirsty person; a person of great energy, strength, or courage specifically a native of the Fens.

In the Mid 18th Century Tiger was a slang term for an overdressed person, also a hanger-on or parasite.

By the early 19th Century it became a usually liveried boy acting as a groom, footman, or other servant.

But, by the mid 19th Century Australian slang had it as a person engaged in menial employment; more specifically, a sheep-shearer.

If we go back to the idea of a late 18th Century liveried servant, often overdressed to suit the whims of his employer, and look at the typical livery of the time it is easy to imagine how the use came into currency - Contrasting and distinctive braid in an often striped pattern.

If we transpose this to the type of rig which the late Victorian Captain would probably insist upon being worn by those stewards serving at dinner etc and we have the combination of a 'footman' or Butler in 'extravagant attire' - which would hark back to origins which would have been in living memory then but are forgotten now.

This etymology is a contrast to many words which start at sea and are adopted ashore without care of their origins. This one seems to have made the reverse journey.
Old 6th March 2018, 16:48

Thanks for that, ML, it always seemed a fitting term, a certain element of someone to fight the aloof corner of the Old Man, to allow him to do a one track job.
Old 6th March 2018, 19:51

My location
While looking for references to Captains' Tigers I came across this, which explains the different ratings among Indian and Pakistani crews. Some good photos as well.
http://www.pandosnco.co.uk/crews.html

Brian