Nigerian National - Page 2 - Ships Nostalgia
06:50

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Nigerian National

User Tag List

Old 20th December 2013, 10:01
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1967 - 1982

Still meet some of the last senior ex NNSL guys who are still around either in Nimasa, Lloyds or with the oil majors. Most about to retire.
Nigeria has a major problem looming as hardly any youngsters getting appropriate training. Lots of people calling themselves 'captain' but, when checked, find that Nimasa has issued restricted tickets for less than 3000t in Nigerian waters only.
Only proper deep sea company is LNG which seems to be running ok.
Old 4th April 2015, 22:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by gandalf View Post
Hi, all ex NNL personnel, I have only just come across this thread.
For your interest, as jr Eng, (and first tripper)I joined the ORANYAN in Amsterdam 20/08/62. The chief was Big John Scott, and I think the 2nd was a guy called Ron Wood, the capt was Ivor Williams. Also sailing as mate was a chap named David Garside. Although, not knowing him at the time, we were to become firm friends quite a number of years later and found we had a mutual friend of one Brian Horrod. Any recolections of these folk!
I think prior to my joining the ORANYAN she had not long had a refit having suffered from fire damage.
My first encounter with this ship was a few months earlier whilst still a Cammell Laird apprentice,(repair yard) a group of us were sent over to Liverpool to extract one of the main engine pistons, of which the ships engineers at the time, managed to get jammed in the liner. During my time on the ORANYAN, changing pistons and liners was almost a daily experience. Oh what memories.
There was a Capt. Ivor Williams serving with the Canadian Coast Guard in Halifax N.S., circa 1990. He resigned and went with a "start-up" owned by a science-fiction writer, who lived in a school bus which was buried under ground in Ontario, and which owned a Ro-Ro which was being converted into a Research Ship in Chile. I remember that it ended in tears, and Ivor Williams died not long after. CBC made a documentary about the Ro-Ro, whose conversion had been funded by a Canadian government scientific tax-credit, and which was arrested by the Chilean shipyard, and scrapped. "Notchy"
Old 23rd August 2015, 17:21

Smile Nigerian National Line

My late dad- Capt Miles Lovering was on these ships in the 60's and 70's. I am trying to research his career history for a book and wonder if anyone remembers him. I know he served on the Dan Fodio and I may have some photos somewhere.
Old 9th May 2016, 22:19
Department: Engineering
Active: 1973 - 1983

Chiefs Electrotechnology

When I was up at Hull for Part B Chiefs (early '80's), we had an engineer from NN in the class.
We were covering Electromagnetism theory about BH curves and the lecturer Stan ( an ex chief lecky from CP) asked if we had understood the 3 blackboards of the theory. The NN obviously looked a bit confused. So Stan said to him I will go through it again. Asked if he had understood it and Stan said " Dats White Man's Magic"
He would never have got away with it today, but we all had a good laugh.

Last edited by sternchallis; 9th May 2016 at 22:52..
Old 20th June 2016, 08:38
Active: 1970 - Present

During my cadetship I did a HND in Hull and electricity was taught using complex numbers. I passed my exams but never understood anything about electricity.
Later I did Part A of Seconds and Chiefs in Hull and Stan (Stan Booth, I think) taught us electrotech. He used a lot of triangles and explained things in words of one syllable, I passed but this time I understood DC and wavy DC.
Old 20th June 2016, 21:54
Active: 1973 - 1983

Yes that's right Stan Booth. Did you remember he had a finger missing caused whilst working on a commutator on the Empress of Canada which he sailed on for quite some time. Stan has now passed over the bar.
I was talking to Dave Taylor (EK's) recently, he said that after Hull closed he got a job in Malta doing similar for a while.
Ted Barnet the Head of the Marine Engineering Department is still around and joined White Fish Authority until that closed.
Harbottle (EK's) joined Lloyds.

Last edited by sternchallis; 20th June 2016 at 22:35..
Old 21st June 2016, 08:34
Active: 1970 - Present

Digressing a bit from NN just to say that Dave Taylor was the most knowledgeable, enthusiastic and inspiring lecturer that ever taught me, Malta certainly gained from his move.
Colin Harbottle joined Lloyds, his father was a very senior LR Surveyor involved with the early North Sea platforms. I was Colin's junior on the Texaco Frankfurt 1974. A trip where the engine room just fell apart, field days every day.
I still think the closure of Hull and other Nautical/Marine Engineering Colleges was a big mistake and was selling the family silver but politicians.........
Old 21st December 2016, 16:14
Department: Navigation
Active: 1951 - 1999

My location
NNSL memories

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fieldsy View Post
The father of two old friends, who I've lost touch with, was a director of NNL - MR Whittingham. Anybody know him? I should imagine he is rather old now, if still with us.
I think it was Brian Whittingham. In the 70's I was in a job involving NNSL and I had the odd sounding job title of ' Unit Load Co-Ordinator' which meant I was charged with improving the percentage of palletised cargo viz a viz breakbulk which suffered a horrendous degree of damage and slowed up the rate of cargo working. As it was a conference job, I reported to all the participants including NNSL, but I was paid by Elders. There were many characters both ashore and onboard and it was a fun time for me boarding the ships in Europe and on the West African coast. Containers rapidly overtook the idea of palletising the ships, and I then became commercial manager of the container arm. (ACE Containers).

From my ringside seat, it became clear that Elders often stitched up the other lines whenever they could, particularly on scheduling, but relations were always cordial. I have included some anecdotes in my book called "Any Budding Sailors?"

Cheers/Alan Rawlinson
website. bankline.wordpress.com
Old 2nd May 2018, 16:06
Department: Navigation
Active: 1953 - 1993

Elders UK. Oduduwa. S.Shields.

I remember it well, Wally Laddle, Master. Derek Brown, Mate. Bert Lawton, 2nd. Mate. 3rd.Mates name escapes me, he ended up container manager in Southampton. We had quite a coast round the continent and then were all relieved. I remember Sam Weller joining and then I think they tried to get all African deck officers. Capt. Weller must have been in his element in W.A.