J & J Denholm - Page 17 - Ships Nostalgia
03:15

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

J & J Denholm

User Tag List

Old 21st June 2007, 11:18
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1960 - 1990

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Cassels View Post
Kevin , no one in Cast was paying bills ..........is this a dig at me ?.

Was not Dick Huyshe mate ?.
no dig at you john and no eric icant remember his second name was mate the cheng came from your part of the country his son went into denholms as a deck cadet when bob told him he should be ashamed of him he replied it was that or borstal we had some great laughs on there john you must know him a great guy kev.
Old 23rd June 2007, 22:36

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by muldonaich View Post
no dig at you john and no eric icant remember his second name was mate the cheng came from your part of the country his son went into denholms as a deck cadet when bob told him he should be ashamed of him he replied it was that or borstal we had some great laughs on there john you must know him a great guy kev.
Eric Griffin, maybe?
Old 23rd June 2007, 23:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by randcmackenzie View Post
Eric Griffin, maybe?
thank you roddy you hit the nail on the head first time he was a great guy he left after the first trip dont know where he went after that best regards kev.
Old 9th July 2007, 22:06

Hello Gulpers
I sailed as R/O on the Hopepark Feb-May71, Conon Forest Jun71-Feb72, Gina Maria Jul72-Jan73 and Mountpark Mar73-Sep73, I left Marconi to go direct
employ with SSM but only lasted two trips, fell out and joined BP, must have
been mad. Apart from Hopepark which was an ex Esso tanker bought on the stocks for some New York outfit I enjoyed all my trips, good ships and crews
especially the Gina Maria, US east coast to Central America/Mexico with
general. Some ships I remember Federal Hudson, Fidentia, Dealbrook, Sig Ragne, Haverton, Axel Hieberg, Fort St catherine, another Fort something, will probably find somemore

Cherrs
Brian
Old 2nd September 2007, 16:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roddy MacSween View Post
John

I can assure you, I got no pleasure from saying what I believe had to be clarified.

I believe from DJC that another ex DSM is doing very well for himself. Were you in the same Crinan intake as Graham Marshall. Send me a PM and I will give you some more info.

Best Regards

Roddy
Roddy
Hi Brian Dodd from the Mountpark all those years ago
thought I saw you once in the gents at Aberdeen Airport
but after a couple of shakes you where no where to be
seen, its the days af three bars in Dyce ????
Brian
Old 7th September 2007, 10:06

hello fellow Diamond D's. Anyone sailed on Loch Lomond around 1980? I was 3rd mate. In my opinion they were the best little ships in the Denholms Management Fleet. With sister ship Loch Maree, both built on Clyde
History: Built 1975 "Loch Lomond", Chas. Connell & Co., Glasgow, 1981 purchased by Salen Redereina, Stockholm and sold to Oman renamed Al-Zahra, 1984 sold renamed Fastelle, 1984 purchased from Fastelle Shipping Co, Hong Kong and renamed Geesthaven, 1993 sold to Bahamas, renamed Star Haven. 8,030 tons. Is she still sailing? or have the shell doors gone to meet their maker !
Old 7th September 2007, 10:24
Gulpers Gulpers is offline   SN Supporter
ex-Denholm Moderator
Department: Navigation
Active: 1972 - 1981

My location
Welcome

Neil,

A warm welcome to the site from another ex-Denholm man on the Isle of Anglesey.
I guarantee you will thoroughly enjoy the SN experience!
You will certainly spark many happy memories when you have a chance to explore our threads and, who knows, you may even re-establish contact with old shipmates.
Good luck!

There have been quite a few messages about the Loch ships in the Denholm Forum and, if you go to the Gallery and search for "Loch Lomond" there are quite a few photographs of your baby - like this one by Fairfield.
Old 7th September 2007, 10:27
ex-Denholm Moderator

My location
Neil,

She had more name changes after those you mentioned.

1996 PACIFIC KORU
1997 MARY K.
1997 PATAGONIAN PRIDE

Sadly she was broken up in Alang in December 2000.

Last edited by Gulpers; 7th September 2007 at 10:33..
Old 10th October 2007, 11:20

Denholm Ship Management Ships - Stories?

I sailed as 3rd Mate on the Avon Bridge, circa 1971? Marcus Gunn from Orkney was Master.
Old 10th October 2007, 14:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewart pottinger View Post
I sailed as 3rd Mate on the Avon Bridge, circa 1971? Marcus Gunn from Orkney was Master.
i sailed with marcus on naess louisiana he was mate i think he ended up in charge of sullum voe or something like that good guy kev.
Old 10th October 2007, 18:21

My location
Hi Kev , still going strong ? How is BJ.

Missus and me planning a trip back to the old country next spring or so.
Who knows what can happen ?.
Old 10th October 2007, 18:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Cassels View Post
Hi Kev , still going strong ? How is BJ.

Missus and me planning a trip back to the old country next spring or so.
Who knows what can happen ?.
if you get to barra pop in and see us bj doing well regards kev.
Old 10th October 2007, 23:30
ex-Denholm Moderator

My location
Welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewart pottinger View Post
Stewart,

A warm welcome to SN. Good to see another ex shipmate coming out of the woodwork - was it Seatrain Saratoa or Vancouver Forest we sailed together on?
Old 11th October 2007, 19:50

hullo Dowling ,
was trawling through old threads and thought you might like to know that I sail with an old acquantice you sailed with George Mc Greevy ,who was telling me he knew a Bert Campbell, I met up with Bert a couple of months ago, he was working on the Saturn a Cal-mac ferry, Bert and I were together in Elder Dempster and were Joined at the hip, I was best man at his First marriage which did not last too long, that was the first I saw bert in 40 years.
Old 11th October 2007, 21:55

diamond d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulpers View Post
There must be SN members who have fond (or not so fond) memories of their times sailing under the "Diamond D." Let's hear them!

From memory, the following is a list of Denholm owned and managed ships from the late 60s to early 80s. There are probably mistakes, but it's a start. I know that there were 90 to 100 ships in the company at that time and I would love to hear of any additions to the list. I've named 85 ships and those I sailed on are highlighted in blue.

Additions to the original post are shown in red:

Al Dhrafrah (Tanker), Andros (Geared Container), Anglia Team (OBO), Arctic Troll (Bulk Carrier/Car Carrier), Arisaig (Bulk Carrier), Asiafreighter (Container), Asialiner (Container), Athol Forest (Geared Bulk Carrier), Avon Bridge (OBO), Bibi (General Cargo), Braveness (Bulk Carrier), Broompark (Bulk Carrier), Burmah Agate (Tanker), Burmah Endeavour (Tanker), Burmah Enterprise (Tanker), Burmah Gem (Tanker), Burmah Opal (Tanker), Burmah Pearl (Tanker), Burmah Peridot (Tanker), Carronpark (Bulk Carrier), Cast Fulmar (OBO), Cast Narwhal (OBO), Cast Puffin (OBO), Cast Tern (OBO), Chelsea Bridge (Bulk Carrier), Chemical Explorer (Tanker), Chemical Venturer (Tanker), Clarkavon (Bulk Carrier), Clunepark (Bulk Carrier), Coastal Corpus Christi (Tanker), Coastal Hercules (Tanker), Conon Forest (Geared Bulk Carrier converted to Geared Container), Craigallian (Bulk Carrier), Crinan (Bulk Carrier), Dunadd (Bulk Carrier), Dunelmia (General Cargo), Duncraig (Bulk Carrier), Dunkyle (Bulk Carrier), Eden Bridge (OBO),
Erskine Bridge (Bulk Carrier), Eurofreighter (Container), Euroliner (Container), Gallic Bridge (Bulk Carrier), Gastor (Gas Carrier), Gina Maria (General Cargo), Holness (Bulk Carrier), Industria (General Cargo), Letitia (General Cargo), Loch Lomond (Reefer), Loch Long (Reefer), Loch Maree (Reefer), Morar (Bulk Carrier), Mountpark (Bulk Carrier), Muirfield (OBO), Nestor (Gas Carrier), Nordic Ambassador (Tanker), Nordic Clansman (Tanker), Nordic Commander (Tanker), Nordic Crusader (OBO), Nordic Louisiana (Sulphur Carrier), Nordic Texas (Sulphur Carrier), Norvegia Team (OBO), Scandia Team (OBO), Scotspark (Bulk Carrier), Seatrain Bennington (Container), Seatrain Saratoga [I](Container), Sevonia Team (OBO), Silver Bridge (OBO), Sir Alexander Glen (OBO), Sir Andrew Duncan (Bulk Carrier/Cadet Training Ship), Sir John Hunter (OBO), Spey Bridge (OBO), Stirling Bridge (Bulk Carrier), Stonehaven (Tanker), Stromness (Bulk Carrier), Suecia Team (OBO), Sugar Trader (Bulk Carrier), Sugar Transporter (Bulk Carrier), Tor Anglia(RORO), Tor Hollandia (RORO), Troll Lake (Bulk Carrier/Car Carrier), Troll Park (Bulk Carrier/Car Carrier), Troll River (Bulk Carrier/Car Carrier), Vancouver Forest (Geared Bulk Carrier converted to Geared Container), Wellpark (Geared Container/Cadet Training Ship)
add cast bluewhale (obo) joined in ulsan in '83.Great ship the captain was a guy called jim anderson,think he became a pilot in sullom voe.rgds pat
Old 14th October 2007, 17:22

Hello Gulpers,
I just came back on line and see you are looking for memories,
I was app from 1961 till 1964, ships I served were Broompark (general cargo) Dunkyle (ore carrier) Naess Cavalier (bulk carrier) Naess Clipper(Bulk carrier)sister ship to Cavalier. both built in Nagaski. Crinan (ore carier) cadet ship. some of the ships you mentioned were different types when I was there e.g. clunepark was a general cargo, v/l wellpark was an ore carrier.I think i'm right in saying she was originally called Needles and belonged to Clyde Shipping if I'm wrong then I 'm sure some of the older hands will correct. I could go on with some character assination but maybe leave that till another day,
Argyll.
PS anyone out sail with a Bert Campbell
Old 15th October 2007, 01:15
ex-Denholm Moderator

My location
Hello Argyll,

Thanks for your input.
Sailed with Bert on Vancouver Forest several times - a bloody good Bosun!
Old 25th October 2007, 01:06
Department: Engineering
Active: 1973 - Present

Charlie Steven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus Murray View Post
Does anyone know of Charlie Stephen. He was Ch Steward with me on one of the ore carriers (possibly Sir Andrew Duncan). He was a great piper, and frequently piped the pilot on/off the vessel. A very nice man. I am sure his wife came from Eriskay.That would have been around 1969/70. I have never heard of him since.
Angus Murray
Charlie was cook on supply boats with Loch Offshore / Farstad , a perfect gentleman , all the ex- Denholms lads knew him well ,as he came into north sea with Denholms on Atlantic Rolgo = Loch Carron , 'used to carry a set o' drumsticks and practiced on the work tops every night before he left the galley , stayed right to 65, walked the west highland way , and made a grand pot o' soup , must be retired ten years or more , lived in Fife , he kept in touch for a few years , I may have his phone number at home ,
Donald More.
Old 27th October 2007, 21:51

Donnie
Good to hear about Charlie's whereabouts. Chief Stewards generally got a pretty poor press in these days, but Charlie was a perfect gentleman in every sense of the word. If you do find his telephone number, send me a PM.
Regards
Angus Murray
Old 6th November 2007, 20:51

My location
denholms men.

run into a murdo mackay on my last trip there with cal mac,he brought up a few names that will jog the memory to a few of you old denholms men,tommy maxwell,current third eng. on the muirneg,alan pringle,still working on the m.v.hascosay,he also says that ted wetherly is long retired but still plodding on,and finally capt.ernie warman,still the same old b******d.
Old 12th November 2007, 14:45

Quote:
John,

Welcome to the site. Any help you can give to bolster the Denholms info would be appreciated. As you say, there must plenty old "Diamond D's" out there.
Hi there!

Jim Currie here. Joned Denholm in 1953 as Apprentice on 'Ormsary'. This, I believe was denholms first adventure into non-conventional cargo vessels. She was a small bulk carrier running mostly between UK and Spain, N. and W. Africa with Iron ore. I left denholms in 1961 after a year as 2Nd mate on the 'Naess Sovereign'. I had been on the 'Naess Trader' (Same as Ormsary) and the 'Norscot' (Tanker). I was also on the 'Gaelic Fidelity' (ex British Fidelity') which was scrapped before actually falling to bits!.
Old 12th November 2007, 14:49

Hi there!

Is that you Alastair? Thought I recognised some of the bits and pieces. If not, you are still a wee bit younger than me but catching-up!!!

JIm Currie
Old 15th November 2007, 17:30
Active: 1968 - 1987

Gulper's Fleet

Quote:
There must be SN members who have fond (or not so fond) memories of their times sailing under the "Diamond D." Let's hear them!

From memory, the following is a list of Denholm owned and managed ships from the late 60s to early 80s. There are probably mistakes, but it's a start. I know that there were 90 to 100 ships in the company at that time and I would love to hear of any additions to the list.
To add (maybe?) to your fleet list Ray do I recall, through the fog, the Denholms had management of the Globtik Sun and the Globtik Mercury at one time and the Beafort Sea and Greenland?Sea. I seem to recall some horror stories of the latter two including one where the second and third mates along with the quartermasters had to stand their watches turn about at the emergency steering position, which I believe was on the funnel deck, whilst transitting the North Atlantic in winter. If anyone on site has memories of this it would make interesting reading.
Old 15th November 2007, 17:36
ex-Denholm Moderator

My location
Ding-a-ling!

Those names do ring a bell, as do your recollections Roger.
Hopefully someone will fill in the details!
Old 15th November 2007, 19:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skye Sierra View Post
To add (maybe?) to your fleet list Ray do I recall, through the fog, the Denholms had management of the Globtik Sun and the Globtik Mercury at one time and the Beafort Sea and Greenland?Sea. I seem to recall some horror stories of the latter two including one where the second and third mates along with the quartermasters had to stand their watches turn about at the emergency steering position, which I believe was on the funnel deck, whilst transitting the North Atlantic in winter. If anyone on site has memories of this it would make interesting reading.
no disrespect but think your on the wrong site kev.