Connell House, Singapore - Page 3 - Ships Nostalgia
17:00

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Connell House, Singapore

User Tag List

Old 28th February 2013, 14:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taleso View Post
Hi all Connell House fans,

Could anyone tell me if these photos were taken of Connell House? One is the court yard and is the other the pool?

My first order was always a double dark rum and coke and the ice bucket!

All the best,
Taleso
Hi This is a bit late but the Pool is Definitely at Connell House-We were staying in Singapore-My dad -Captain - Merchant Navy-We as kids swam there most Sundays 1969~1971
I dont remember the Court yard.
Old 26th March 2014, 06:09
Active: 1956 - 1975

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Boat Jim View Post
I am trying to find some information on the Straits Cabaret Singapore. I was there 56-57. and remember it to be full of taxi dancers also The Boustead Mission, a good place for a haircut.
Can anyone help Jim Morrison
Hi Jim, I spent many a night at the Straits with many a tale to tell 57/58 spent months at Connell House, I was the rock'n'roller with sparkly trou on stage for many a night being GeneVincent /Elvis/Fats/Eddie C with the opening number Īt's Saturday Night just been Paid 'probably quiet pissed but the band seemed to accept me. Used to "sing'at the Halfway House too
Challenged to a pissing competition by a white Russsian taxi-dancer in the gent's, she won, handful of slack and managed 14 feet.
Also at the request of RN Sparks started a massive brawl with the US Navy after being bought a beer, then tossing the empty over my shoulder before walking out past the doorman as the shore patrols rush in...Fun Days
Old 26th March 2014, 08:32
Active: 1956 - 1975

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe shell View Post
Hi Jim, I spent many a night at the Straits with many a tale to tell 57/58 spent months at Connell House, I was the rock'n'roller with sparkly trou on stage for many a night being GeneVincent /Elvis/Fats/Eddie C with the opening number Īt's Saturday Night just been Paid 'probably quiet pissed but the band seemed to accept me. Used to "sing'at the Halfway House too
Challenged to a pissing competition by a white Russsian taxi-dancer in the gent's, she won, handful of slack and managed 14 feet.
Also at the request of RN Sparks started a massive brawl with the US Navy after being bought a beer, then tossing the empty over my shoulder before walking out past the doorman as the shore patrols rush in...Fun Days

Correction, Halfway Inn, 'twas the hangout of Naughty Service men's wives , out of bounds for their husbands as was Bugis St then.
Old 16th August 2016, 21:53

Straits Cabaret

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Boat Jim View Post
I am trying to find some information on the Straits Cabaret Singapore. I was there 56-57. and remember it to be full of taxi dancers also The Boustead Mission, a good place for a haircut.
Can anyone help Jim Morrison
Hi Jim: I only visited the Straits Cabaret once, I think when I was waiting for the Shell Tanker "Hinnites" in 1969. I seem to remember that the Mama-San was "married" to a Shell officer named Peter. Can't remember his other name.
Old 17th August 2016, 00:14

What great memories these threads have brought back. I was with ICSN and we called there so often from 1950 berthed in Empire Docks (now reclaimed)and experienced all these rendezvous and activities. Years later when I returned for my land job company the changes were already evident and many were history. My wife enjoyed the shopping while I enjoyed the memories. Thanks for all your threads.
Old 17th August 2016, 01:21
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1958 - 1975

Capt Neeves

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclean View Post
Dave, was 4th. mate on San Gaspar in 1961, during last year of apprenticeship with Shell. Master was Capt. Neeves, a nice bloke. Had a really good friend, John Mudd, who served his time with Eagle Oil 1957-1961. He died tragically in a car accident 1n 1964 when up for Mates in Belfast. Either name ring a bell? Colin
Sailed with Capt Neeves on Voluta chas