M.V. Sigsilver........Silverline in late 60's/70's - Ships Nostalgia
18:08

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

M.V. Sigsilver........Silverline in late 60's/70's

User Tag List

Old 1st December 2016, 13:15

M.V. Sigsilver........Silverline in late 60's/70's

Hi, I am hoping to find any info on my brothers short time in the Merchant Navy, He worked for Palm Line and Silver line..Knew he was on
M.V.Sigsilver[/B] around late 60's/early 70's.....Ships went to West Africa I think....He is now deceased and the family don't have any pix or info on his time in the navy. His name is Stuart Jeffries, form Hartlepool, Co Durham. . Would be great if anyone had any info. Big thank you for anyone reading this.....I live in hope.

Jan Newman (nee Jeffries)
Old 1st December 2016, 15:08
Super Moderator

Jan

On behalf of the 'SN Moderating Team', welcome aboard.

Hopefully, someone will be help with the information you are seeking regarding your brother. Good luck
Old 1st December 2016, 15:57

SIGSILVER at the time of completion was the largest dry cargo ship in the world
Old 1st December 2016, 16:00
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1959 - 1969

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobblehead100 View Post
Hi, I am hoping to find any info on my brothers short time in the Merchant Navy, He worked for Palm Line and Silver line..Knew he was on
M.V.Sigsilver[/B] around late 60's/early 70's.....Ships went to West Africa I think....He is now deceased and the family don't have any pix or info on his time in the navy. His name is Stuart Jeffries, form Hartlepool, Co Durham. . Would be great if anyone had any info. Big thank you for anyone reading this.....I live in hope.

Hi! there are two excellent photos in the gallery of the MV. Sigsilver.
Probably other vessels you are looking for also. The gallery button is second line down from top of web page. Regards. C
Old 1st December 2016, 17:12

Can't seem to get into search as it tells me I must be registered to access it. Must be doing something wrong possibly?
Old 1st December 2016, 17:41
Department: Deck
Active: 1959 - 1969

Quote:
Can't seem to get into search as it tells me I must be registered to access it. Must be doing something wrong possibly?
There is a blue band across gallery when you open it with,
home: search: profile:, click on search. If this is not successful someone on here with more knowledge of this will help.
Old 1st December 2016, 19:10

Is this the vessel ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled.jpg (187.2 KB, 78 views)
Old 1st December 2016, 23:50

Oh that's great.... seeing the vessel, makes it more real. Tried the search tab for gallery, but kept saying that no access as need to be registered. Will have to find out more. Navigating the site I am still learning.....thanks soooo much. What a brilliant lot of folks you are Janette
Old 2nd December 2016, 06:22

Sigsilver was reputedly the world's first 100,000 ton ship. I sailed. On her in the '80s when she was part of the BHP fleet in Australia and called "Iron Sirius". At that time she was taking coal to Japan from NSW, Australia. Down under, she was known as the "Iron Thalidomide" because of the lack of bridge wings.

John T
Old 2nd December 2016, 07:39

Thanks for that info john. Bet you all have lots of memories that make you laugh,and cry eh? My brother loved his time at sea, all the camaraderie between you all. I can see why now. Thanks again. Janette
Old 2nd December 2016, 08:10
Bilge Rat
Department: Engineering
Active: 1957 - 1963

My location
A warm welcome aboard from the Philippines. Please enjoy all this great site has to offer
Old 2nd December 2016, 09:10

Quote:

Slightly off subject, but I believe Stuart and I served part of our apprenticeship together at Graythorp in the early sixties. Stuart was a really good lad, and I'm truly saddened to hear of his "crossing the bar"
Old 2nd December 2016, 10:37

Sorry, but I replied, but must be on a different page. Can't see it. Anyway, Stuart did work in graythorpe, and how lovely you mentioned it to me. He did have a pal that lived in Graythorpe village. His name was Paddy Nolan, don't know if he worked at grays or not. Stuart lived in S Africa and passed away over there in 1999. Thanks again. Janette
Old 2nd December 2016, 12:34

sailed with stu on the silver line chemical tankers, also worked with him in libya in the gas and oil fields.
Old 2nd December 2016, 14:18

Lovely to hear that Jim. I didn't expect to get any response from these forums, but I am chuffed to bits that people are replying.thank you, it means so much to me. Anything else you can tell me? Did anybody have any photos of the crew as such? Was he jnr engineer? I do remember him going to Libya, said once that it was dangerous to go off the ship.. he used to love to sing too, had a great voice.....he passed away in 1999, still miss him... Thanks again.
Old 2nd December 2016, 20:42

Thank you. This is spooky. My dad was always known as billy boy. I nearly jumped out of the chair when I Seen the name! Ha! ...janette
Old 3rd December 2016, 23:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlequin View Post
Slightly off subject, but I believe Stuart and I served part of our apprenticeship together at Graythorp in the early sixties. Stuart was a really good lad, and I'm truly saddened to hear of his "crossing the bar"
Have I replied on a different reply box? Apologies, but just learning how to navigate the site. Janette
Old 4th December 2016, 12:42

Quote:
Lovely to hear that Jim. I didn't expect to get any response from these forums, but I am chuffed to bits that people are replying.thank you, it means so much to me. Anything else you can tell me? Did anybody have any photos of the crew as such? Was he jnr engineer? I do remember him going to Libya, said once that it was dangerous to go off the ship.. he used to love to sing too, had a great voice.....he passed away in 1999, still miss him... Thanks again.
stu was third engineer on the silver eagle on the baltic and mediterranean run in libya we worked in the gas fields in the desert at pumping station zelten. never heard him sing but his laugh i will always remember.
Old 4th December 2016, 21:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim.child View Post
stu was third engineer on the silver eagle on the baltic and mediterranean run in libya we worked in the gas fields in the desert at pumping station zelten. never heard him sing but his laugh i will always remember.
Thanks Jim, that's good to hear. Didn't know he was on the silver eagle. I do remember. Him working in Libya when gadaffi ?was in power. Seems a long time ago doesn't it. Thanks for that....janette
Old 7th October 2019, 12:21

Hello all! Hope you’re all still checking this post realise it’s a few years later now. I recently found a photo album that was given to my father in 1969 on his 21st birthday it’s full of pictures from his time on sigsilver - I think? I’d love to speak to anyone who knows about these trips to japan and maybe elsewhere? Happy to share the album too!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image_1570447242854.jpg (96.6 KB, 12 views)