Great Bitter Lake Association - Page 5 - Ships Nostalgia
07:20

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Great Bitter Lake Association

User Tag List

Old 23rd July 2016, 06:51
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1962 - 1968

Hi all,I was a steward on the mv port invercargill, my name is Mick miles,I was one of the original crew when the war broke out after a Manz run,I can remember everything that happened from the time we was approaching the lakes until we left,I have quite a lot of slides of the war,it would be nice to get Intouch with anyone who is interested my email is [email protected] sky.com.cheers for now, stumpy 2
Old 8th October 2016, 19:44
Organisation: Maritime Enthusiast
Department: Deck
Active: 1975 - 1988

Hi all you Bitter Lake heroes.I wasn't on the
GBL because when the Story began,I was 1 year old...Nevertheless I have a great interest
For this time.My father was also a sailor in this time.So I am very interrested in freighters of the 50s-70s.I'm going to open my own small maritime museum next spring.I
have seen the docu in the German TV AT least 20 times.i'm very impressed how you came through this times...I decided to reserve a part of the museum for the GBLA.
I would be very glad when i could get more
Information and probably some pictures.By the way:I'm looking for a photo of the Killara while anchoring in the lake.my respect and best wishes Thomas
Old 17th October 2016, 06:47

Hi everyone.Can you toll me what happened
to the other ships? Muensterland and Nordwind could leave unter engine.And when
the others left the lake and how? Best wishes Thomas
Old 17th October 2016, 07:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas L. View Post
On “ Great Bitter Lake Association” there is an excellent book written by Captain BRIAN HILL , Postage Stamps of the Great Bitter Lake Association , Picton Publishing, April 1975.

Capt. Hill , who joined the GBLA in 1968, presents in this book full details, not only of the stamps, cancellations, and envelopes, but also details about the trapped ships, their masters, crew, activity on board, etc., with many illustrations/pictures.

Also check on net : THE YELLOW FLEET
Old 18th October 2016, 08:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas L. View Post
Hello Thomas. A few years ago I compiled the following report for another website:

In spring 1975 the Suez Canal was once again opened for international transport, and on May 24, 1975, the German ships Münsterland and Nordwind reached Hamburg port, cheered by more than 30,000 spectators. They were reportedly the only ships to have left the canal under their own power.

Histories and subsequent fates of the vessels follow:

MS AGAPENOR (UK) [detained 6.67-7.75
75 NIKOS-Greek) BU Gadani Beach 25.10.81

MS MELAMPUS (UK) [detained 6.67 -6.75
75 ANNOULA II(Greek)
BU Gadani Beach 7.11.82

MS SCOTTISH STAR (UK) [detained Suez Canal 6.67-30.5.75] - 75 KAVO YERAKAS(Greek)
BU in Spain 5.8.79 (had been laid up since 1975)

MS PORT INVERCARGILL(UK) Released 6.75 -Port Line received £1.4M in compensation. 75 KAVO KOLONES(Greek)
BU Kaohsiung 22.8.79

SS AFRICAN GLEN (USA), shelled and sunk Bitter Lakes, Suez Canal 16.10.73 (Yom Kippur War)(trapped there since 6.67)

MS NORDWIND (West Germany) . Released 6.75 , 79 RODANTHI A.(Greek) - 79 CENTAURUS(Grk.then Lebanon in 82)
BU Shanghai 28.5.85

MS MUNSTERLAND(West Germany) Released 6.75 , 79 MUNSTERLANDES (Greek)
BU Fujian 3.84

MS KILLARA(Sweden) released 6.75, HELLENIC SEAMAN (Greek) - 84 PANAMA STAR
BU Kaohsiung 30.12.86

MS NIPPON (Sweden)
74 MARIT (Greek ) whilst still trapped- 74 HELLENIC PATRIOT - 84 TENON
BU Qinhuangdao 20.7.84

MS SINDH(France) ) 71 Sold to Norwegians.whilst trapped in Canal),renamed ESSAYONS (Norw) - Trapped to 6.75 75 BADR(Saudi Arabia)
BU 1981.

MS DJAKARTA (Poland) Trapped 6.67 -6.75 75 MANINA III (Greek).wrecked 36.59N/27.26E 30.3.81 Aegean)& sank 31.3.81 [Constanta-Port Said, cement]

MS BOLESLAW BIERUT(Poland) trapped in Suez Canal 7.6.67-6.75] - 75 FAY III(Greek)
BU Bombay 17.2.82

MS VASSIL LEVSKY(Bulgaria)
[merchant aircraft carrier/Bulk Carrier] - 43 EMPIRE MACKENDRICK (British Gov’ment)47- GRANPOND Mediterranean & Atlantic Lines Ltd ,London
- 51 CONDOR(Pan) - 55 SALTERSGATE (Turnbull Scott(London)- 57 VASSIL LEVSKY(Bul)
BU Split 22.7.75 ; [trapped in Bitter Lakes, Suez Canal 6.67-5.75.

MS LEDNICE (Czechoslovakia) Trapped 6.67-7.75
89 DIYA - 92 ATLASCO PRIDE - 93 OCEAN TRADER
scuttled Vettilaikerni, Sri Lanka 9.10.94

A fifteenth ship, the OBSERVER(USA) was stranded in Lake Timsah. Blt.1943 as t.e.Tanker FRONT ROYAL (U.S.)[- 48 ESSO SHREVEPORT - 62 TRUSTCO - 66 Lengthened and widened & converted to bulk carrier] Renamed OBSERVER.
Hulked at Port Said 1975

Last edited by Wribbenhall; 18th October 2016 at 08:37..
Old 18th October 2016, 13:50

Hello Wribbenhall.Thank you very much for the informations.This was the high
times of the Greeks ,when they bought every ship they could get...
In the 80s they bought a lot of HANSA ships and changed only the endings from
....fels into ...bels. Best wishes Thomas.
Old 4th November 2016, 07:40

I am writing a short book about life on the ships stranded in the Suez Canal from 1967 to 1975.

I’m hoping to publish it to coincide with the 50th anniversary of the Six-Day War around 5 June 2017.

I am also hoping to organise a reunion of former seafarers who were on the stranded ships to celebrate the anniversary. The anniversary event will be in Liverpool, possibly at the Merseyside Maritime Museum.

Please reply if you might be interested in attending this event.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Thank you very much in anticipation.

Cath Senker
Old 8th November 2016, 20:55
Active: 1964 - 1970

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Saul View Post
Hi Peter,
I was trapped in the Bitter Lakes aboard the Blue Funnel ship Melampus and then transferred to the other 'Bluey' Agapenor in '67.
The '67 war was known as the 'six day war' while the Yom Kippur War was '73.
Just being a tad pedantic there.!!!
I was in the lakes for three months before being relieved and did not go back out at the completion of my leave as I found it too ruddy boring.
The Bitter Lakes Assoc. was founded by the relieving crowd so I was never a member and to date have never come across anyone who was.
I was in the UK recently for my mothers funeral and while there met up with two members of this site who were in the Melampus with me, Graham Mcmorine, 4th Engineer and John Hughes, Junior 'Lecky.
I was Engineers Asst steward at the time.
We met in a pub in Nantwich and spent a very pleasant couple of hours going over old times.
Graham and John are in touch with other ex-members of the crew of Melampus being the 6th Engineer (I think) and the Chief Electrician.
I don't think any of us were members of the Assoc but if you require any information about the 'Six Day War' from our perspective I would be only too happy to assist, as I'm quite sure would Graham and John.
I have a few photos and letters from that period which I can make available to you if you wish.
Good luck with your article.
Regards Phil Saul
Did you ever come across one of the Mids, Dougie Thornton, who was in Agapenor at the time? We went to sea together, me with bank Line, Doug with Blue Flue.
Old 9th November 2016, 07:41

Gbla

Dear Donald McGhee

Thank you for forwarding this post. I saw it when I started my research and I've been in touch with Phil Saul and have met with Graham McMorine. He hasn't heard from John Hughes for a while though.

I haven't come across Dougie Thornton from Agapenor. If anyone is in touch with him, I would like to contact him. Thank you

Cath
Old 5th January 2017, 20:29

50th anniversary event to commemorate the ships stranded in the Suez Canal

Quote:
Originally Posted by John McPherson View Post
Hi . I was the relief 3rd mate on the Agalampus (Agapenor/Melampus) with Capt McMannus. after the original 3rd mate was captured by the Isralies. Have many photos, some cine film and many good memories of my 4 months in the lake.
Dear John

I am currently writing a short book about the experiences of seafarers who worked on the ships stranded in the Suez Canal from 1967 to 1975. I’m hoping to publish it to coincide with the 50th anniversary of the Six-Day War in June 2017.

Along with the Merseyside Maritime Museum, I am organising a reunion of former seafarers who were on the stranded ships to celebrate the anniversary. The anniversary event will be at the Merseyside Maritime Museum on 1 June 2017.

Would you be interested in attending the reunion event?

Best wishes

Cath
Old 5th January 2017, 22:45
Department: Navigation

I look at this and think, how lucky I was that BR lost all my gear when I was on my way to join Melampus. It took ages to get my stuff back, and I did an excellent trip on Glenogle instead. I do sometimes feel (not only for this) an angel had a wing over me. It must have been a very frightening time.
Old 8th January 2017, 17:15
Organisation: Other Merchant Fleets
Department: Office / Administration

Trapped ships

Hello all reading this thread, I am bew to the forum but a great interest for the GBLA and the story itself has got to me.... I have read three books whereof two in Swedish and also the book by Capt Bryan Hill.

I have two questions that I thought you expertise could help me with
In one of the books its says that the convoy had to anchor at Great B Lake as one tanker had a steering gear problem further north and she stranded. In the book by Capt Bryan Hill I get the impression that the southbound convoy was cancelled but the northbound didnt know that.

Could the stranded Vessel have been the "Observer" in Lake Timsah?

Can anyone clarify?

Also I understand that the Vessels could move around in the Lake, that was before the get together in groups I take it?

Thats all for now

Christer
Old 10th January 2017, 09:04

Vessels in the Great Bitter Lake

Hi Christer

The merchant ships were told by the Egyptian authorities to anchor in the Great Bitter Lake, although the oil tankers were allowed to leave.
The canal was then blocked at both ends to stop the vessels leaving.

The Observer was indeed stranded in Lake Timsah, separate from all the other ships.

The vessels moved around the lake regularly to test their engines and ensure they would be able to leave the Suez Canal when given permission.

Hope this helps.

Cath
Old 11th January 2017, 21:20

Interesting with a "restart" on those threads around GBLA. To newcomers please check up the entire shipnostalgia forum. Here are several threads on the same matters and just not those 2-3 threads awakened the last week. Also search GBLA, Yellow fleet, Suez crisis, Great bitter lakeS association !
(Christer suppose You seen in litterature there are the Swedish Unda Maris 83-85 by PE Hedborg)
Old 12th January 2017, 06:27
Organisation: Other Merchant Fleets

Restart

Hello Sven Olof

Thanks, you are right there are really a lot to digest. yes I have the Unda Maris, great reading! Christer
Old 12th January 2017, 06:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by sven-olof View Post
Interesting with a "restart" on those threads around GBLA. To newcomers please check up the entire shipnostalgia forum. Here are several threads on the same matters and just not those 2-3 threads awakened the last week. Also search GBLA, Yellow fleet, Suez crisis, Great bitter lakeS association !
(Christer suppose You seen in litterature there are the Swedish Unda Maris 83-85 by PE Hedborg)
Hi Sven, thanks for pointing out that there are several other threads about the GBLA. The reason for starting the new thread was to tell people about the 50th anniversary reunion event in Liverpool, UK on 1 June 2017. If you were in the Great Bitter Lake between 1967 and 1975 yourself, or know other former seafarers who were there, please let them know about it. Thank you!
Old 12th January 2017, 09:59

There are some people from Nippon and Killara who vere active on those threads on SN some years ago.
A filatelist from Hungary were also active here and have written a work about the covers and stamps. I think some of the work are available here?
If you are writing something the stamps must be mentioned.
Also the olympics.
Old 12th January 2017, 21:34

Hi Sven

If there are people from the Nippon and the Killara active on this forum, I would love to hear from them.

I didn't know about the philatelist from Hungary and would be interested in seeing his work. Peter Valdner from the Czech Republic told me he is writing a book about the stamps.

The GBLA stamps and Olympics do indeed appear in my book.

Cath
Old 13th January 2017, 07:49

Here is the thread with some? of the article in last post. Valdpete seems from Bratislava.

https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/showthread.php?t=40094
Old 19th January 2017, 07:22

Thank you Sven, I will take a look.
Old 19th January 2017, 07:24

In June 2017 it will be the 50th anniversary of the Six-Day War in 1967.

On 1 June 2017, there will be a reunion of former seafarers who were on the ships stranded in the Suez Canal between 1967 and 1975 to commemorate this anniversary. The event will be at the Merseyside Maritime Museum in Liverpool.

I’ll also be launching my short book about life on the ships stranded in the Suez Canal from 1967 to 1975.

Were you on one of the ships trapped in the Great Bitter Lake? If so, please let me know if you would be interested in attending the event. And if you know others who were there, please pass on the details of the event to them.

I look forward to hearing from you. Thank you very much in anticipation.

Best wishes

Cath Senker
Old 11th March 2017, 16:52

When I was 2/O in Bulk Acid Shipping Services in 1975, I sailed with C/O George Grant, (a Scot) who was on one of the Blue Funnel ships trapped in the Bitter Lakes. I remember that he said that George Brown, the then British Foreign Secretary made several "fact-finding" trips to the trapped British ships, and was happy to join in the parties, without the cameras of the Press being around.
Old 12th March 2017, 08:59

Dear Knighta

Thanks for your comment. I also heard that foreign secretary George Brown had visited the Great Bitter Lake, but when I checked with Captain Brian McManus of the Agalampus, he said that this was not true. However, Deputy Foreign Secretary Goronwy Roberts did visit. If there was evidence of George Brown visiting the ships in the Great Bitter Lake, I'd be interested to hear it.
Old 23rd April 2017, 07:33
Active: 1977 - Present

Stamps GBLA

I posted this but Think under the wrong "thread" , here it goes again

Hello all GBLA memebers and fans!

I have a small question re the stamps. In the book by Bryan Hill its says on page 3 that number of issues are 190 and number of stamps 784 that is catalogued.
Can the with mother language English explain to me how many stamps in total there are? number of issues I take it means on how many occasions stamps were issued but if 190 times 784 pieces of stamps seems low in numbers?
What am I missing here

Thanks
Christer
Old 15th May 2017, 08:30

Hi Christer, I don't know the answer to your question but Peter Valdner is an expert on the GBLA stamps: https://valdpete.blogspot.co.uk

Cath