Lithgows Ltd - Port Glasgow - Page 2 - Ships Nostalgia
20:59

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Lithgows Ltd - Port Glasgow

User Tag List

Old 26th January 2008, 08:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipbuilder View Post
Sunk in collision with HENRY DEARBORN (US) 28 21N 33 11E whilst en-route Basra to Hampton Roads All saved.

Thanks Bob,
I'm particularly interested in this collision... where I can find more details? At National Archives? Other Archives or sites?

Bye
Marco
Old 26th January 2008, 12:41

Hi Marco,
I don't really know, I suppose wartime collisions were simply documented without any more details than casualty numbers. Probably the best hope would be to find someone who sailed in the ship or was related to them. I would think you have as good a chance here on Ships Nostalgia as anywhere else. As it hapenned 63 years ago, there are probably some survivors left somewhere although they will probably be in their 80s by now.
Bob

Miniature Merchant Ships
Old 31st January 2008, 10:11

Naval Maritime Museum wrote me that they have plans of Cape Clear and her sistership Cape Howke...
I'm waiting to know how much it will be!
Any suggestion about collision reports during WWII?
I think that something had to be written, in order to let the assurance pay for damages or losses!
Thanks
Old 31st January 2008, 14:20

Marcus, please keep us up to date on your progress.
I think many of our members would be interested to know what the Museum charges for plans.

Bruce
Old 31st January 2008, 18:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Davies View Post
Does the name Ross Belch ring any bells with the Ship Building fraternity??
Yes Bill,

If I rememebr correctly, Ros Belch was general Manager of Lower Clyde Shipbuilders in the 1960s bvut I'm not too sure.

Jim C.
Old 31st January 2008, 18:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcus View Post
Hello!
Ok, this is not a ship, but a shipbuilder!

Anyone knows if still exist (and where is it!) an archive about ships built by Lithgows Ltd - Port Glasgow? Any idea of who succeded at this company?
Thaks
Marco
Hello Marco!

It's a long shot but you might try writing to Sir William Lithgow at 'Ormsary House', Ormsary, Argyll, Scotland. The Lithgow family operate a very successful Aqua Culture business from there. I know for a fact that the forecastle bell of the 'Ormsay' - my first ship -is still there. It is just possible that there might be a mine of information to be had for the asking.

Jim C.
Old 1st February 2008, 14:06

Quote:
Bruce Carson

Marcus, please keep us up to date on your progress.
I think many of our members would be interested to know what the Museum charges for plans.

Bruce
The bill! 114 Pounds for 5 papers (shipping and research fees included)..
If you want something.....You have to pay for it! (or not?)
Old 1st February 2008, 15:56

My location
Marcus
NMM Plans - OUCH !!!! That hurts.. We tried to prepare you for the shock.
Thought about looking at this from 'Henry Dearborn' (U.S.) perspective but too much 'chatter' in the search. However one web site on WWII US Archives mentioned that back in 1974 the Maritime Administration decided to destroy all records of Deck logs from WWII as being 'of little or no research value'..
No doubt the person responsible for the decision is now in a high government position somewhere....
Also found an Egyptian tourist site on wreck diving - their comment on the Cape Clear was 'due to government restrictions in effect at the time little is known about this wreck'
So, my friend, looks like you have a difficult (and expensive) project but if there is an answer SN is the place to find it.
Good luck
Jim Mac
Old 1st February 2008, 16:17

OUCH, indeed !!

Bruce
Old 1st February 2008, 19:28

Once again, the NMM has shown its dedication to surpressing our maritime hertitage. I wonder if any of them ever read this forum & if so, why do they never comment!

Even if you buy the plans, they will expect ypou to sign a form saying that you will never lend them or show them to anyyone, or reduce or enlarge them. And - if you have the audacity to want to build a model to sell, please let them know so that they can charge you extra!

I believe that all the plans (and photographs) that they hold or were given to them in good faith, that they were to be made available at reasonable cost to anyone interested in researching them - what a betrayal!

I have made sure that none of my vast collection of plans will NEVER fall into their hands!

Sorry I couldn't help with the CAPE CLEAR.

Miniature Merchant Ships
Old 2nd February 2008, 03:14

My location
Bob
I have paid the price and signed the forms for the NMM material on various occasions. I'm not trying to defend their position or their prices but on the positive side at least the material they have is still in existence, unlike the TWIT in the USA who decided all WWII deck logs should be destroyed because they had no research value.
Wonder how many other TWITS around the world have reached similar decisions and how much allegedly valueless material ended in the tip....

I'm just very glad this group took timely positive action on the Allen Collection and I'm honoured to be in the same company of the people who took time to do it.
cheers
Jim Mac
Old 2nd February 2008, 10:00

On a visit to the NMM at Greenwich I noticed that the replica of the James Caird (the boat used by Shackleton to sail from Elephant Island to South Georgia in 1916) was though in other respects authentic looking largely held together with cross head screws. I can just see chippy McNish hauling out his Black and Decker to modify the boat for the voyage. On the Monday after the visit I rang up the museum to tell them and got the impression that they weren't interested. Would be interested to know if the crosshead screws have been replaced.
Old 2nd February 2008, 19:31

Looking at it all with purely selfish reasons, I would prefer that the plans were destroyed rather than know they were still in existance, but only at exhorbitant cost! Fortunately, a large amount of the plans held prisoner at NMM, Greenwich, are available from other places that are not so GREEDY.
My own collection is immense (but nowhere near on the scale of NMM). But I have made it clear on my demise, that all my original material (hundreds & hundreds of negatives etc) is released of copyright when I go. So that even if (heaven forbid) that the NMM get hold of some of them, they cannot claim copyright - they will be open to all!

Even whilst I am still, "on deck" I would never consider "ripping off" genuine researchers!

Best wishes
Bob

Miniature Merchant Ships
Old 2nd February 2008, 19:53

Whilst I am still in a "militant" mood, I cannot help but agreeing with TACHO. I don't think the NMM would be particularly interested when he mentioned the cross-head screws in JAMES CAIRD. Although normal screws are still available, they will not be sufficiently interested to change them in order for accuracy. I have the greatest regard for Mr. McNish, a man of undeniable skill because of his modifications to the JAMES CAIRD if nothing else.. I believe that he was denied the expedition medal simply because he had the audacity to argue with "the boss" after the ENDURANCE had gone. I cannot help thinking that this was because of a justified resentment because of Shackleton's order to shoot Mr. McNish's tomcat (Mrs. Chippy) after the ship was lost. I have heard that on the voyage south, Mrs. Chippy fell overboard & that Captain Worsley stopped the ship to pick her up, thereby displaying more than a bit of humanity even if the decision to risk men's lives was not really justified for a cat (we are only human, after all!)

If I were Shackleton, I would have said to Mr. McNish, "The cat is your responsibility & any food she eats will have to be from you own ration!" I have a distinct feeling that the majority, if not all, of the crew, would have helped and the end result would have been that Shackleton could have said "I never lost a man - not even the ship's cat!"

Ten out of ten for Worsely & McNish, nine out of ten for Shackleton!

PS
I have the highest regard for Shackleton & his achievements, But the cat/McNish issue is the only one that I would fault him for!

Regards
Bob

Miniature Merchant Ships
Old 2nd February 2008, 19:59

My location
Bob
Can't quite reconcile the 'destruction'. I see your point to a point, but once documents are gone they are gone. destruction is final. If they are still existing even in the hands of people wishing to profit from their posession, we can always hope that those circumstances could change and the material is made public. In this case - dream on.... but.
I've been told on several occasions 'never donate anything to a museum', either charge for it or retain the rights to it, that way it doesn't end up in a dusty damp store room until it disintegrates.
Personally if I had anything of (nautical) value to share with the world I would bring it to SN (as with the Allen Collection). With the obvious scope and value of your own research material SN might be the right vehicle to give NMM a poke in the eye...
Anyway enough talk of demise and destruction.... I just hope Marcus can find a solution to his dilemma without wasting the kids inheritance on NMM.
Cheers
Jim Mac
Old 3rd February 2008, 11:18

Dear friends
you have this strong passion as me, so you can understand that for me it's important to finish my research... Unfortunately in this case the only way I've found is to pay quite a lot to get what I'm looking for.
I think that who lives in UK or in USA is still lucky... In Italy we don't have these kind of archives and the few we have are dramatically left at their own destiny. Ridiculous pubblic founds, Few material, hard to find and to get.
I live in Rome, and I can go at the Italian Navy Historical office for ships involved in tragica war events. I don't know many other places where to search!
So I think that, at the end, is better to have expensive services than nothing at all!
It's obvious that this policy helps only the "professional" researchers to the detriment of those who do this only for their passion..
I'll keep on searching for other material (so please let me know if you find something!!) and, at the end I'll buy these plans.
Excuse me for this monologue and for my bad english!
Marco
Old 3rd September 2008, 15:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Davies View Post
Does the name Ross Belch ring any bells with the Ship Building fraternity??
yes he was fabrication manager wat a bugger of a man alan
Old 3rd September 2008, 16:57

Ross Belch certainly rings a bell with me. I think we worked with him on a couple of jobs when I worked for my old man's consultancy firm.

He might have had something to do with the yard in Methil.

I will make a couple of calls home and come back on this one. I do however think that he has "passed over the bar".
McC
Old 3rd September 2008, 19:51

Lithgows

Sir Ross Belch CBE. FRSE. died around 26/3/99. I am not sure if this Ross Belch is the same person discussed in this forum. Sir Ross Belch was a director of Lithgows.

regards
jimmys
Old 3rd September 2008, 22:35
Gulpers Gulpers is offline   SN Supporter
ex-Denholm Moderator
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Navigation
Active: 1972 - 1981

My location
Indeed, as jimmys has stated, I can confirm that the late Sir Ross Belch was Managing Director of Scott Lithgow.
Old 9th September 2008, 19:48

I am pretty sure some of Lithgows plans were saved by the Ballast Trust based at Lochwinnoch. Not sure who looks after it now as Dr Wm. Lind died a short time ago.
Old 12th September 2008, 21:47

Merchant Fleets 1939 by Roger Jordan lists the Cape Clear as owned by the Cape York Motorship Company part of the Lyle Shipping LTD.
Motorship built at Lithgows 1939, 5085 gross tons, 8850 deadweight tons, 447.6' loa, 56.2' beam, 24'10" draft, service speed 10.5 knots. Loss info is the same as Mirimar.
Dictionary of disasters at sea in the age of steam, Hocking lists pretty much the same with the addition of Diesel engine of 599 nominal horsepower.

Cheers
Eric
Old 14th September 2008, 02:36

My location
Lithgows Plans

Quote:
Originally Posted by japottinger View Post
I am pretty sure some of Lithgows plans were saved by the Ballast Trust based at Lochwinnoch. Not sure who looks after it now as Dr Wm. Lind died a short time ago.
James
You may recall in my search for 'Loch Seaforth' plans you directed me to the Ballast Trust. They didn't have them but the letter was signed by Mr Duncan R Winning. He suggested a couple of other leads which unfortunately petered out.
BTW I'm probably going to try to modify your Lochiel plans for the Seaforth. The return address was :
The Ballast Trust
Monarch Works
18/20 Walkinshaw Street
Johnstone PA5 8AB
Old 15th September 2008, 22:20
stores stores is offline   SN Supporter
STORES

hi, i recently aquired some builders photographs of WW2 watts watts ships built by caledon of dundee from dundee city council, they do plans as well, mine were emailed to me free of charge, GREENWICH MUSEUM want 20 for a 7x5 photo, liverpool charge 5 , what a difference,
Old 23rd September 2008, 23:09
stores stores is offline   SN Supporter
STORES

regarding greenwich maritime museum and there crazy photo prices, most were given to them and they seem to make sure no one else gets to see them by overpricing them, have written and complained many times, but they dont want to know, likewise they were given the steam paddle tug ss reliance for safekeeping and the nations enjoyment, what did they do ? cut it up , all done very quietly till it was too late to do anything, hope they never get hms victory, they are a disgrace to great britains maritime past, HEARD A RUMOUR THE GREEKS ARE GOING TO RESTORE A LIBERTY SHIP, WHAT DID WE SAVE FROM WW2, ? STORES.