Windows 10 updates - Page 2 - Ships Nostalgia
00:34

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Windows 10 updates

User Tag List

Old 8th December 2017, 11:36

So anyway to get back to issues with Windows 10 updates :-
If you're worried about the update screwing up the PC/Laptop when you don't know when the update will happen,an option to the disk image is disable the 'Windows Update' service. Then when you want to update (say once a fortnight), create a restore point, turn the update service back on and do a manual update. If things have gone a bit crazy do the restore.
Old 8th December 2017, 13:00
user
Active: 1969 - 1973

This advice from Microsoft is easy to miss If you are having trouble with the creator update:
NOTE: Please be aware the Windows.old folder located at the root of the local disk where Windows 10 is installed will be deleted after 10 days automatically. The Windows.old folder is used to facilitate the rollback. So please perform any rollback within 10 days or this option will no longer be available. Otherwise, create a backup before upgrading to Windows 10.
Also the latest windows 10 has a vastly improved troubleshooting section which may fix any problems.You can find it by going to Settings>Update and Security>Troubleshoot.
Old 8th December 2017, 14:04
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Navigation

I have just had this big update complete. Downloading of the files took over 8 hours and made the internet connection glacier slow, we turned everything else off in the end, but, 8 hours. The update took another 3 hours. I usually consider the connection here reasonable, but there have been another 300 houses added and someone is always squatting on a little stool outside the green box over the road. I now have six connections visible, alarmingly 2 unsecured, when there was just me at one time.
Old 8th December 2017, 14:06
Department: Engineering
Active: 1962 - 1964

If I was starting from scratch, I'd probably go Linux; with Evolution instead of Outlook but I'm locked into the .pst file

My recent Dell XPS-13 with 16Gb RAM & Win 10 works very well.

Apple is probably the best if you don't want to dick around at all and it has a very easy to use dual boot facility. I set my younger daughter's Mac to have the option of booting into Win 7 which they use in her workplace.

Last edited by Basil; 8th December 2017 at 14:11..
Old 8th December 2017, 14:34
Department: Deck
Active: 1966 - 1983

Broadband Speeds.

In July this year following a decade or so of abysmal BB speeds (down to .3 Mbps earlier in the year) I got fibre to the premises thanks to a long campaign by my MP.

My download speed is currently at 74.4 Mbps with an upload of 21.0 Mbps.

When Windows Creator came along it did indeed take an age to download - many hours and as advised it turned the the computer on/off several times in the process.

I went to bed after about 2 hours and let it do what it had to do.

Haven't noticed any particular improvements in the Creator edition though.

BW

J
Old 8th December 2017, 15:17
Department: Navigation

jmcg, did it not come back at the end and show about 6 totally stupid things it would now let you do? Mine did.
Old 8th December 2017, 15:27
Active: 1966 - 1983

Yes, it did but nothing I would consider useful for what I do.

In this day and age of "Smart" phones I am more than happy with my "Stupid" little gem clam shell Samsung of 12 years vintage.

BW

J
Old 8th December 2017, 15:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobClay View Post
If it takes hours for you to download updates I'd take a close look at your broadband connection.

Apple Macs are fine, but ridiculously overpriced.

Linux is fine, but not to everybody's taste because it does demand more geekiness.

Microsoft (then little more than a bunch of college geeks) actually 'borrowed' the concept of a Windows GUI from a Xerox team that had been developing it in the 70's.

John von Neumann is considered the primary creator of modern computer architecture. In recent times there have been attempts to break out of the bottleneck this has created with modern electronic devices. An example being Quantum computers, but this is still as much science fiction as science.

The reason Windows has been so successful is because it's simple and easy to use. But Microsoft have definitely hit a lot of rocks on the way.

Whining and sarcasm wont make your computer go any better.
Really respect your knowledge and expertise Bob, but can't accept your comment that Linux "demands more geekiness" I'm definitely not a geek, more of a simpleton when it comes to computers, but I find Linux so much easier to use than Windows. When I update my O.S. it's usually completed in about 20 minutes. Never had a problem updating. Whole system runs sweet as a nut.

Last edited by 173898; 8th December 2017 at 16:08..
Old 8th December 2017, 16:03
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1965 - 1986

My location
Each to his own. I say Linux requires more geekiness because you can get deep inside the guts of Linux, and do things you couldn't do with Windows and certainly not Apple systems who guard their software with paranoia. It makes it very good for those who want to delve into code.

This of course is all part of the Linux plan, in that it's free and open and they're almost inviting you to f*** with it, which is a big draw for the Geeks. That's why I think it's Geeky (and I'm still not sure what that word means .. )

I still don't understand why people are taking so long to download, but when you mention the computer restarting that surely is after the download is complete, and the system is actually installing. A full download and installation of the whole operating system is not trivial.

I have only 32 Mbps per second broadband but a full OS download and installation is usually done after I get back from the pub. (Bear in mind from another thread that Uncle Albert said time is an illusion.)

I've shown the specs of this machine below, admittedly it's a core I7 but when I put this machine together 7 years ago that was state of the art at the time. 8 Gigs of RAM is the max the motherboard will take.

Nonetheless I'll stand by the statement that Windows 10 is a good OS by Microsoft standards and you should keep it updated in terms of regular updates, and bear in mind you will get a full OS upgrade every year or so for free (at least so far, unless Microsoft change that policy.) You used to have to go out and buy the latest OS at one time.

Gift horse, teeth and so on.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg compspecs.jpg (64.1 KB, 9 views)
Old 8th December 2017, 16:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by R651400 View Post
...and anyone who bullsh1ts on the use of CAD and the nub of this thread doesn't deserve a reply.
CAD is great fun I have just designed some equipment for a chemical company and watching it work in the flesh is like watching the Waverleys triple expansion hammering away. It is not difficult unless you get into some of the more advanced systems that I use but there are very basic, free packages available. Try them.
Old 8th December 2017, 16:33
Department: Engineering
Active: 1970 - Present

Jesus we can't have a technical discussion without some lout introducing an element of unpleasantness into the posts.

Sometimes youse just p1ss me off.
Old 8th December 2017, 16:36

Quote:
Each to his own. I say Linux requires more geekiness because you can get deep inside the guts of Linux, and do things you couldn't do with Windows and certainly not Apple systems who guard their software with paranoia. It makes it very good for those who want to delve into code.

This of course is all part of the Linux plan, in that it's free and open and they're almost inviting you to f*** with it, which is a big draw for the Geeks. That's why I think it's Geeky (and I'm still not sure what that word means .. )

I still don't understand why people are taking so long to download, but when you mention the computer restarting that surely is after the download is complete, and the system is actually installing. A full download and installation of the whole operating system is not trivial.

I have only 32 Mbps per second broadband but a full OS download and installation is usually done after I get back from the pub. (Bear in mind from another thread that Uncle Albert said time is an illusion.)

I've shown the specs of this machine below, admittedly it's a core I7 but when I put this machine together 7 years ago that was state of the art at the time. 8 Gigs of RAM is the max the motherboard will take.

Nonetheless I'll stand by the statement that Windows 10 is a good OS by Microsoft standards and you should keep it updated in terms of regular updates, and bear in mind you will get a full OS upgrade every year or so for free (at least so far, unless Microsoft change that policy.) You used to have to go out and buy the latest OS at one time.

I have to agree with you Bob.
Windows 10 is a lot more stable than anything in the past and you can keep it simple or tweek like a geek to enhance its performance.
I use it for race navigation on the Solent, last years I was on a yacht doing 24 knots so you do not get much time to make decisions or call manoeuvres. Most use Navionics on Android or iOS but I use OpenCPN with Admiralty charts on the screen and the ships instrumentation patched in, the detail is far higher and more reliable than Navionics. To help tidal tactics I use RaceAreaAnalyzer from a German software house which I have had input into and it will calculate the best routing between any two points in real time. You cannot do it with iOS or Android. We also use Explorer which downloads GRIB files in real time for weather routing although it is best used offshore.
Old 8th December 2017, 16:44

Quote:

Apologies for not making myself clear Bob. I was referring to the day to day updates. I have totally upgraded the system in usually 2-3 hours, most of the time being spent on the "fine tuning" i.e. selecting what I require from the soft wear centre. I guess I'm just a Linux fan.
Old 8th December 2017, 17:26
Active: 1967 - 1976

My location
Since the update I have encountered my first problem, for many years I have been using Microsoft office 2007 suite and I have used it on quite a few different computers I use it mainly for the Word section, after the update I can now only read word documents, I can no longer write or alter them (it says the page is locked). I have downloaded the latest version of Libre Office and it seems to be working fine....
Old 8th December 2017, 21:53

My location
I don't know if this link will help, but worth a look:

https://www.cnet.com/forums/discussi...-to-read-only/

Another work around is to download and install Apache Office (completely free) which will deal with Office documents. Always good to have it as a backup anyway.
Old 8th December 2017, 22:03
user

Don't forget the troubleshooter post #34 ..sometimes it works,most time the software is shot.
Old 8th December 2017, 22:56

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Dryden View Post
Don't forget the troubleshooter post #34 ..sometimes it works,most time the software is shot.
Thanks Bob and John, I tried the trouble shooter before I posted and it says to upgrade to a later version of Office or words to that effect. I suppose that it is Microsoft's way of forcing users of older software to upgrade and spend more money, after all the upgraded OS is "free"...I won't be doing that because as I said, I mainly only use the Word section of it anyway..Libre seems to be working fine, it opens the Word docs and I can work with them.....

Cheers Frank

Last edited by Frank P; 8th December 2017 at 23:00..
Old 8th December 2017, 23:10
user

Being totally honest I have never paid for any of their products and to be fair they still have not got you by short and curlies,although they seem to have been working on it from day one.
Old 8th December 2017, 23:14

My location
This is just a thought ... (inspired by the bottle of red wine I'm seeing off) but I'm presuming Windows users here log in with an account, either Microsoft or local on their machines.

You should ensure that you are an administrator.

You probably are, especially if you installed your Windows version originally, but it's worth checking.

In the RUN box, or the Type here to search box enter the following:

compmgmt.msc

You should see what I've shown in the screenshot. This is what's known as a Microsoft Management Console and these things are very useful. (You've probably seen one before ... such as Device manager.) There are a lot of these and they all end with the file suffix .msc

If you click on Groups and then Administrators you should see your username in there. You probably are all administrators and you should be, because if you're not, all kinds of horrors will be lurking in nooks and cranny's as you go.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CompMgmt.jpg (140.1 KB, 22 views)
Old 9th December 2017, 16:28

My main desktop PC has just deigned to download and install the update, at the second attempt.

The first thing I did was to test 'Word' - It works fine, no problems with read only.
However, it is worth pointing out that the version I am using is 2003! Why buy new when the old one works?
So, when Microsoft tell you to use a newer version (for which they will charge you rent), you might find that an older one will do what you want....

Otherwise, as Bob says, Apache is free and I use that on my laptop - Any docs can be transferred and opened on either.
Old 9th December 2017, 18:58

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Landsman View Post
My main desktop PC has just deigned to download and install the update, at the second attempt.

The first thing I did was to test 'Word' - It works fine, no problems with read only.
However, it is worth pointing out that the version I am using is 2003! Why buy new when the old one works?
So, when Microsoft tell you to use a newer version (for which they will charge you rent), you might find that an older one will do what you want....

Otherwise, as Bob says, Apache is free and I use that on my laptop - Any docs can be transferred and opened on either.
Thanks for that info...

I still have a full copy of Office 2003 I will give it a try sometime, for the moment I will see how I get on with Libre. The only reason that I upgraded from 2003 to 2007 was that I was given the 2007 Disk many years ago.........