Windows V Linux - Ships Nostalgia
05:23

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Windows V Linux

User Tag List

Old 5th January 2018, 22:13
Bilge Rat
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1957 - 1963

My location
Windows V Linux

I have had many windows problems over the years. I had a computer tech reinstall it a few days ago and also install Linux with a partition. At the moment i am starting to get used to Linux. Anyone got any comments on their experience with Linux?
Old 6th January 2018, 02:04
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1956 - 1970

I explored Linux for a while but eventually came of the view that it required a lot of effort to get things working,that MS had already sorted out.I finally gave up and went back to MS.
Old 6th January 2018, 10:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyboy View Post
I have had many windows problems over the years. I had a computer tech reinstall it a few days ago and also install Linux with a partition. At the moment i am starting to get used to Linux. Anyone got any comments on their experience with Linux?
Been using Linux Ubuntu for a long time now, I love the system, but I suppose it's just what you get used to, I would never go back MS. My advice would be to download Linux Ubuntu to disc or stick, then you can reinstall it yourself if things do go wrong (which I very much doubt) I'm no expert but can assure you that this is easy to do. Don't be afraid to explore the software centre and try different programmes, you'll be surprised just what a choice there is.
Good luck for the future.
Old 6th January 2018, 14:44
ART6 ART6 is offline   SN Supporter
Super Moderator
Active: 1958 - 1970

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyboy View Post
I have it on one of my Windows computers, but I don't use it that often in the version (Ubuntu) that I installed. The consideration is that there are a number of versions of Linux that range from ones suitable for a computer newbies to ones only really suitable for experts. Then there is the problem that some versions won't run software like the ubiquitous MS Word and Excel (I believe that Linux Mint will although I have never tried).

The advantage of Linux is that it is difficult to hack, and like Apple OS is not commonly targeted. And it is fast and uncluttered but, like all freeware, it can be limited compared with the sophistication of Windows 10 or Mac High Sierra. An example of this is Open Office, which is a superb freeware that mimics and even exceeds Microsoft Office -- except that when you try to save a document in a format that someone who doesn't have Open office can open, you are stuck with a long obsolete Microsoft format.

Timeo Danaos et dona ferentes -- Beware the stranger bearing gifts!
Old 6th January 2018, 23:05
Bilge Rat
Active: 1957 - 1963

My location
Thanks for the info Art6.
Old 7th January 2018, 11:09
Department: Deck
Active: 1967 - 1976

My location
Billy, you can also get the latest Linux/Ubuntu put on a memory stick and use it when you feel like it until you get used to using it, you just plug the memory stick (flash drive) into a usb port and boot up your computer and it starts in Linux.....

Cheers Frank
Old 7th January 2018, 14:08
ART6 ART6 is offline   SN Supporter
Super Moderator
Active: 1958 - 1970

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank P View Post
Billy, you can also get the latest Linux/Ubuntu put on a memory stick and use it when you feel like it until you get used to using it, you just plug the memory stick (flash drive) into a usb port and boot up your computer and it starts in Linux.....

Cheers Frank
Good point Frank! I do that quite often, but unless you change the boot order in the BIOS the computer will boot up from the hard drive first. The usual way round that is to press F12 when starting the machine, as soon as the display starts up (on most PCs there will be a message in the bottom LH corner that says something like "For boot menu press F12"). That then displays a screen that lists the boot order, and if the USB flash drive in in a USB slot it should show up in that screen. Then it is simply a matter of scrolling down to it using the cursor keys and pressing "enter". The machine should then boot from the USB.
Old 7th January 2018, 16:05

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by ART6 View Post
Good point Frank! I do that quite often, but unless you change the boot order in the BIOS the computer will boot up from the hard drive first. The usual way round that is to press F12 when starting the machine, as soon as the display starts up (on most PCs there will be a message in the bottom LH corner that says something like "For boot menu press F12"). That then displays a screen that lists the boot order, and if the USB flash drive in in a USB slot it should show up in that screen. Then it is simply a matter of scrolling down to it using the cursor keys and pressing "enter". The machine should then boot from the USB.
Spot on Art, I forgot to mention the "boot order".....

Cheers Frank.........
Old 7th January 2018, 16:43
Department: Electrician
Active: 1962 - 1978

Thank you guys. Can I download Linux onto memory stick myself?
Old 7th January 2018, 16:47

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Gibson View Post
Thank you guys. Can I download Linux onto memory stick myself?
Yes, you download the bootable version from the Linux site, it is free ....

This link maybe useful

https://www.lifewire.com/create-uefi...nt-usb-2202084

Last edited by Frank P; 7th January 2018 at 16:50..
Old 18th January 2018, 09:36
Organisation: Coasters
Active: 1963 - Present

Windows 10 drove me to Linux. All I want in an os is a basic system I can run other software on. Windows 10, for me was a mess. My cpu ran at 99% with nothing but windows 10 running. Much of my added software wouldn't run on 10 w/o an upgrade. I went back to 7 and decided to learn Linux. I'm running Zorin - very windows like. Wine (free) will run most PC software on Linux, but there's a paid program - Crossover (about $40 US) that has a demo download. I understand most games will run. I live on a small ship and run PC navigation programs without lag, or other problems.
Linux runs much faster than windows, even on an old computer. I first ran on a 2005 Dell and it was a speed demon compared to windows. Great for browsing.
Old 18th January 2018, 10:55
Department: Electrician
Active: 1962 - 1978

Many thank's Frank
Les
Old 28th May 2018, 11:53
Active: 1955 - 1960

Just come across this thread, and agree with all that's been said about Linux.
I "emigrated" from M$ Windows about 10 years ago and have never looked back.
Currently running Linux Mint 18.1 [Mate] and very happy with it.
Old 30th May 2018, 03:25
Organisation: Coasters
Active: 1963 - Present

The big problem is software. Everything isn't written for Linux. If I was running office software or browsing it would do fine. I run Linux on an old Dell that runs 10x faster than it did on win7, and my current computer is kaby lake processor and with a little trouble have it running win7, getting the updates, etc. Hopefully by 2020 either windows will relent and write a good software like 7 or ReactOS will come of age. I'll never use 10 again.
Old 30th May 2018, 12:15
Active: 1955 - 1960

Two good aspects of Linux are that it's free, and security.
I've come across folk who have found things that they are unable to do on Linux, but for the everyday user, it's fine.
I'm not a gamer but I believe this is one of the disadvantages - I don't know.

One view is that if you could take all the best bits from Windows, Mac, and Linux you'd have a world-beating OS - maybe [hmm].