BP female Navigation Cadets - Page 8 - Ships Nostalgia
17:32

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

BP female Navigation Cadets

User Tag List

Old 1st May 2016, 22:15

Julie Fleming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Wallace View Post
I have just come across the name of another female BP NC, Julie A Fleming, I was rather surprised as a JA Fleming exists on the NA/NC database, but in the male section, never having 'Miss' alongside her name.

So now she is listed in the female section, possibly a 1980 intake. Nobody has mentioned her before. That brings the tally up to 74.

Graham
Graham
To give you an update on Julie. She left BP in 82, and we married. The marriage was not made in heaven and we got divorced. Julie became ill, and recently died of complications from multiple Sclerosis.
Old 1st May 2016, 23:48
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1972 - 1979

I have not previously heard of Mary Ward, but find the story really surprising. As she started her career some4-5 years after me I am amazed that she would not have had the same experience of multiple eyesight tests (lanterns, mirror, dark room etc etc) that I and all my contemporaries had.

Certainly I had several tests before I ever went to sea and then another when we took our EDH tickets during Phase 1, and before we could take our 2nd Mates tickets during Phase 3. A couple of boys in my year at Plymouth failed the colour test. Whilst obviously disastrous for them, we were told this was a quite normal ratio of failures, and might be due to the maturation of the male eye or even to alcohol intake.

As the tests were only for the red/green colours, and that is (I thought) an eyesight trait only found in males, Mary was certainly exceptionally unlucky. I cannot understand why the procedures of a few years previous would have changed.

nina
Old 7th May 2016, 04:04

Nina
In another occupation, my last job in the RAN was the Naval Recruiting Officer for New South Wales and the ACT, in the many (thousands) of applicants that passed through my four offices (Sydney, Canberra,Woolongong, & Newcastle) we only had one female fail the colour test, but quite a few males, this was a standard test just as we used to get at the Dock Street Mercantile Marine Office
Tony Maskell
Old 7th May 2016, 15:29
Department: Engineering
Active: 1974 - 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninabaker View Post
I have not previously heard of Mary Ward, but find the story really surprising. As she started her career some4-5 years after me I am amazed that she would not have had the same experience of multiple eyesight tests (lanterns, mirror, dark room etc etc) that I and all my contemporaries had.

Certainly I had several tests before I ever went to sea and then another when we took our EDH tickets during Phase 1, and before we could take our 2nd Mates tickets during Phase 3. A couple of boys in my year at Plymouth failed the colour test. Whilst obviously disastrous for them, we were told this was a quite normal ratio of failures, and might be due to the maturation of the male eye or even to alcohol intake.

As the tests were only for the red/green colours, and that is (I thought) an eyesight trait only found in males, Mary was certainly exceptionally unlucky. I cannot understand why the procedures of a few years previous would have changed.

nina
I sailed with Mary Ward on the patience and I heard she went on to a job in the safety department but I don't know if that's right or not.
Old 10th May 2016, 03:18
Active: 1976 - 2017

post #166
I was in the Warsash class a term ahead of the three ladies mentioned when I took 2nd mates. It was a shock that Mary failed her eyesight test; IIRC, she was allowed to take ONC but was not allowed to take Second Mate's.
Martyn
Old 5th June 2016, 12:13
Department: Navigation
Active: 1969 - Present

Quote:
Originally Posted by loco View Post
post #166
I was in the Warsash class a term ahead of the three ladies mentioned when I took 2nd mates. It was a shock that Mary failed her eyesight test; IIRC, she was allowed to take ONC but was not allowed to take Second Mate's.
Martyn
Of passing interest, it looks like the Lantern Eyesight Test is going to be replaced . The MCA in the UK published a report on it yesterday (4th June 2016), with the following explanation:

'Seafarers must have their colour vision tested so that we can be sure that they can carry out their work safely. The MCA follows international conventions and uses the Ishihara test for the first screen. Those who fail can have a further test, which in those with navigational look-out duties is the Holmes Wright B (HWB) lantern. As the HWB is no longer made, MCA commissioned research to find a different test. The MCA is looking at the results of the report (below) and deciding how to act on them. If you have any comments on the report, please email…... '

Regards, Mike
Old 22nd November 2017, 17:58

My first trip was on the Ensign in 1975. Four first trip cadets together. Two were female - Sarah Clarke and Linda Chinnery.
Nobody replaced us. We took it to scrap
Old 18th February 2018, 22:04

Female BP cadets

During my time with BP from 78 - 86, I sailed with two female cadets (Hazel Dyer & Morag McDairmed ? ) on my first DC trip on the Poplar, and was at Greenhithe MNC with Mandy Jo Jackson. I think MJJ had to leave because of pregnancy in 1979. Also sailed with an Irish 3/0 Guy (surname?) who was married to a female 3/0, I think she had to quit in order to sail as a wife as BP would not allow a husband & wife sail together as officers.
Old 20th February 2018, 19:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by martynps View Post
During my time with BP from 78 - 86, I sailed with two female cadets (Hazel Dyer & Morag McDairmed ? ) on my first DC trip on the Poplar, and was at Greenhithe MNC with Mandy Jo Jackson. I think MJJ had to leave because of pregnancy in 1979. Also sailed with an Irish 3/0 Guy (surname?) who was married to a female 3/0, I think she had to quit in order to sail as a wife as BP would not allow a husband & wife sail together as officers.
Sailed with MJJ on the Renown or the Pride.
There were some shanananagins going on which if I went into detail may well embarrass a few people who may well frequent this forum.
Needless to say one married officer did not exactly cover himself in glory. Not a good advert at the time for the introduction of female deck cadets.
Old 16th April 2018, 20:59
Active: 1973 - 2012

#10 Sailed opposite a Chief Engineer called Simon Rawlinson with Stirling offshore early 2000's he was married to a skipper with another offshore company at the time. Both were ex BP.
Old 17th April 2018, 14:16
Active: 1968 - 1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVELECKIE View Post
There were some shanananagins going on which if I went into detail may well embarrass a few people who may well frequent this forum.
Needless to say one married officer did not exactly cover himself in glory. Not a good advert at the time for the introduction of female deck cadets.
I do have to wonder if the powers that be in Big Panic House ever wondered if the whole exercise was worth the trouble. It must certainly left some masters scratching their heads about how to handle things.

Life is no doubt more complex today in the days of equality for all.

Last edited by twogrumpy; 17th April 2018 at 14:38..
Old 17th April 2018, 14:28
Active: 1968 - 2009

It wasn't just female cadets involved in shananagins onboard ! I can recall more than one officers wife causing trouble too !
Old 17th April 2018, 17:16
Active: 1955 - 1962

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoffrey Harris View Post
#10 Sailed opposite a Chief Engineer called Simon Rawlinson with Stirling offshore early 2000's he was married to a skipper with another offshore company at the time. Both were ex BP.
I have an S Rawlinson listed as an Engineering Cadet possibly 1976 intake on the Tenacity Summer of 1979. Many female Navigating Cadets sailing at that time but none on that specific ship.

I have over 60 Female NC's listed, but have never heard of one reaching the rank of Captain.

Graham
Old 17th April 2018, 19:01

Quote:
I have an S Rawlinson listed as an Engineering Cadet possibly 1976 intake on the Tenacity Summer of 1979. Many female Navigating Cadets sailing at that time but none on that specific ship.

I have over 60 Female NC's listed, but have never heard of one reaching the rank of Captain.

Graham
I have been racking my brain to come up with Simon's wife's name. I am pretty sure it is Alison. I sailed with 2 female Deck cadets on Holly circa 1977. One was Gail, probably Hardy as mentioned before the other was Alison, don't know if it's the same one though. The Alison that is married to Simon sailed as mate with Farstad but had been made redundant as Captain with another oil industry company before that.

Geoff.
Old 17th April 2018, 22:41
Active: 1974 - Present

BP may have been at the forefront with employing politically correct gender officers (!) but we had it also in Cunard Brocks. As far as I remember (the three i recall) they were perfectly capable officers but none stayed long.
Dannic.
Old 18th April 2018, 07:26
Active: 1963 - 2014

I sailed with a female sparks on a Shell H Boat in the early 70's who whilst good at her job got a lot of stick from the male operators at Portishead when trying to go from morse key to voice; as soon as they found out it was a female on the other end they'd cut her off. This got so bad on one occasion she ended up crying in the captain's arms; he wasn't certain what to do. Can't remember her name.
Old 18th April 2018, 09:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevekelly10 View Post
It wasn't just female cadets involved in shananagins onboard ! I can recall more than one officers wife causing trouble too !
I came across this problem when I sailed on the British Fidelity it was quite a scene when we paid off in Singapore.
Old 18th April 2018, 11:22
Active: 1963 - 2014

The sparks and the master on the H boat weren't involved, but I know of many cases of affairs on board Shell ships.

I did hear of a case of the first woman sparks on an Italian ship that resulted in two of the men in the crew having a knife fight to decide who was going to sleep with her; one of the men didn't survive.
Old 18th April 2018, 14:32
Active: 1968 - 1986

Quote:
. As far as I remember (the three i recall) they were perfectly capable officers but none stayed long.
Dannic.
In no way claiming the one I was talking to was typical, but being polite, I would say she certainly did not see it as being long term employment.
Old 18th April 2018, 16:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoffrey Harris View Post
I have been racking my brain to come up with Simon's wife's name. I am pretty sure it is Alison. I sailed with 2 female Deck cadets on Holly circa 1977. One was Gail, probably Hardy as mentioned before the other was Alison, don't know if it's the same one though. The Alison that is married to Simon sailed as mate with Farstad but had been made redundant as Captain with another oil industry company before that.

Geoff.
Geoff,
Holly DC's with you in early 1977:
Miss GE Hardy
IP Campbell
RA Klusch
Miss KED Scott (Kelly/Kathy)
CJ Sherfield

Martin Shaw was a JE with you , I heard he finally retired from BP, an elevated position

Graham
Old 18th April 2018, 18:14

Quote:
Geoff,
Holly DC's with you in early 1977:
Miss GE Hardy
IP Campbell
RA Klusch
Miss KED Scott (Kelly/Kathy)
CJ Sherfield

Martin Shaw was a JE with you , I heard he finally retired from BP, an elevated position

Graham
Now you have the names Kathy rings a bell.
Old 19th April 2018, 17:27
Active: 1979 - 1983

I sailed with Iona McLean a D/C on the British Vine in 1979. It was my first trip, also as a D/C. She was a nice girl. Never heard of her again. I was also at South Sheilds Marine and Tech with a couple more female cadets, but I cannot remember their names. There seemed to be a lot of female cadets from Scotland for some reason.
Old 20th April 2018, 21:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Platten View Post
I sailed with Iona McLean a D/C on the British Vine in 1979. It was my first trip, also as a D/C. She was a nice girl. Never heard of her again. I was also at South Sheilds Marine and Tech with a couple more female cadets, but I cannot remember their names. There seemed to be a lot of female cadets from Scotland for some reason.
Russell,

I never knew that, but then in 2002 I was just starting and never thought to ask that question. Any more?

She was a 1978 intake, first ship Trident. Last ship as Cadet Forth, and promoted to 3M 6/82. Then last ship as far as I know was Vic Bilh 2M 5/85

Graham
Old 24th April 2018, 13:52
Active: 1970 - 1987

My location
After I left BP and joined Wallem Shipmanagement (UK) in 1977, we had a female Sparky on the Nordic Breeze - she struck up a relationship with the 2ndMate and I was honoured to be their best man a few years later.
She has left the sea and they have a family now - he is a World Wide Marine Inspector.
When together on board they both behaved in a very professional manner!
Old 24th April 2018, 14:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Platten View Post
I’m pretty certain she married a shell engineer called Peter Newton
In the fullness of time
A garden to nurture and protect