Modern era propulsion engines - Page 2 - Ships Nostalgia
10:28

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Modern era propulsion engines

User Tag List

Old 24th July 2018, 23:25
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering

V2m9s I never saw but Howard Roberts did like to talk about them a bit.

V2M8s I consider to be simply the finest boilers I ever met
In the fullness of time
A garden to nurture and protect
Old 25th July 2018, 00:40
Varley Varley is offline   SN Supporter
Active: 1971 - 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine Serang View Post
In 1970 the age of enlightenment was not fully developed on the Texaco Bahrain or Texaco Newcastle, however rest assured I was not flogged or fed on gruel. Your opinion of your fellow engineers is a bit more charitable than mine, in general I would say that for every good guy such as Yogi Harpur, M M Jaffari and billy Fisher there were a few quite indifferent Chiefs and Seconds.
As a Second and Chief I always believed my job was to lead and to teach, sounds a bit pompous but in practice it was common sense and second nature.
My self esteem has now risen and I feel ready to put manners on Sparky.
It was Yogi that was reported singing"I Tor I Tor a puddy cat". I didn't remember her as a one and half boiler job but then I hadn't then been admitted into the hallowed order allowed free reign below. Albeit with an insulated screwdriver and not a lump hammer.

Pompous? Usurpers never prosper.
Old 25th July 2018, 18:55
Active: 1974 - 1982

[QUOTE=Varley;2921223]It was Yogi that was reported singing"I Tor I Tor a puddy cat". I didn't remember her as a one and half boiler job but then I hadn't then been admitted into the hallowed order allowed free reign below. Albeit with an insulated screwdriver and not a lump hammer.

Pompous? Usurpers never prosper.[UOTE]

Yogi with me and a few others [Dougy Young for one] joined the Norway off Cape town. The ASEA control system was on Handymatic. By RasTan Yogi had the system on bridge control as was the boiler management system. When Yogi left in Trinidad a certain chief put it all back to Manual.
Old 25th July 2018, 19:40
Active: 1970 - Present

I'll name that man in one.
Old 26th July 2018, 18:35

Quote:
I'll name that man in one.
When he joined in Trinidad, as soon as he boarded the Norway he went straight to the scrubber house to see if the blower was repaired.

In saying that I did respect "Sezs Les" oops was that a give away !
Old 27th July 2018, 06:15

Many Chiefs and Seconds of that era served during the war and then had a little exposure to Bailey Controls on small geared turbines. All were fond of T2's.
Then they were landed on a VLCC with scant training on automation, given a Manual covering multiple models and in every European language and Japanese.
They were told to Get on With It. Is it any wonder when things started to go badly wrong their fall back position was to revert to handraulic. If I had gotten a pound note (or a Euro) for every time I flashed-up an extensively automated boiler with a lit rag on a stick I'd be living on the Isle of Man.
Old 27th July 2018, 10:29

Peggy, a friend and scion of Williams toffee ("rotting the teeth of Liverpool" as one rude Labour councilor put it) lived at the Old Thatch, a stone's throw away.

When taking up that residence she had a gas man who, post installation, used a naked light to check for leaks. She reported that the bang could be heard in Onchan (more than a stone's throw away) .

You, by any chance ES?
Old 27th July 2018, 11:10

No Gov it weren't me.
The only time I was in Onchan was when I fell off my 350 AJS. A painful and expensive experience.
When you are next in Onchan give my regards to Brenda's Chap, we were in Dartmouth together. Cheers.
Old 27th July 2018, 19:04

My Sovereign's present chap is a diplomat (as was the last) not a sailor boy. Did the rest of you argue a lot or was he lost?
Old 29th July 2018, 12:35
Active: 1970 - 1980

Stal Laval turbines with epicyclic gearboxes no thanks, fussy control system, false alarms, vibration trips while going astern. Best S/T engine and gearbox General Electric, perhaps not the most efficient but reliable and good control system. Best Boiler, Babcock Radiant miles ahead of the Foster Wheeler ESD 3.
Worst ever power plant Single Boiler+ Half with Single steam F.D. fan with no electric back up, nightmare ship, boiler tripped and it took 3 days to get underway again just as well it was in the middle of the ocean. I could go on for ages but nobody wants to listen.
IanB
Old 29th July 2018, 15:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian860B View Post
Stal Laval turbines with epicyclic gearboxes no thanks, fussy control system, false alarms, vibration trips while going astern. Best S/T engine and gearbox General Electric, perhaps not the most efficient but reliable and good control system. Best Boiler, Babcock Radiant miles ahead of the Foster Wheeler ESD 3.
Worst ever power plant Single Boiler+ Half with Single steam F.D. fan with no electric back up, nightmare ship, boiler tripped and it took 3 days to get underway again just as well it was in the middle of the ocean. I could go on for ages but nobody wants to listen.
IanB
Shell L. Class?
In the fullness of time
A garden to nurture and protect
Old 29th July 2018, 16:45

Texaco Frankfurt had one and a half Babcock MR Boilers (880 psi 959F) with an AEG 28,000 shp turbine and a double reduction tandem articulated deSchelde gearbox.
Built to the same specifications as Shell "M" Class by HDW.
A bloody nightmare down below. Completed a major drydock and maintenance period in Jurong and departed in worse condition than on arrival. As a newly minted 5/E I could not believe such a thing could happen and I decided it would never happen when I was 2/E or C/E. Needless to say my strike rate was only about 50/50, perhaps a wee bit better.
Steam Ships: dontcha just luv em.
Old 29th July 2018, 16:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varley View Post
My Sovereign's present chap is a diplomat (as was the last) not a sailor boy.
He ought to have been to Dartmouth. I'm sure he feels less of himself for gadding about Oxford instead of being among the cream of British Manhood.

How will Brexit affect the IOM?
Old 29th July 2018, 17:29

For questions like that you should look to the opinions of those who went to Oxford instead of creaming themselves in Dartmouth! (Sir Paul Haddacks was out last sailor. I did not meet him but our treasurer had the privilege of pouring wine over his good lady at the IMarEST dinner to which we had invited them. I have met both of his successors)

I use opinion guardedly. Even the great and good do not know. There are as many pro and anti here as elsewhere and we are not even in there to start with (despite having to abide by the rules which have seen off two ice cream companies and allowed in an awful lot of crap beer).

If a great lord of the spanner should be asking the opinion of a mere battery-stacker I would expect the damage done to the administrative engine in taking it apart and counting how many widget crown pins are left over/short on putting it together again will screw the economy in the UK for 20 years. Should there bright sunlit uplands into which GB will emerge (with us on the coat tails) then the young will no longer be young when the fruits appear on its trees and thee and me will have passed our last fart.

I would not have 'gone in' but I would not now come out. As you say across there "you can't get there from here". More to think about in your neck of the woods I dare opine - do the politicos make too much of that lever?

Last edited by Varley; 30th July 2018 at 10:05..
Old 29th July 2018, 19:11

Quote:
Texaco Frankfurt had one and a half Babcock MR Boilers (880 psi 959F) with an AEG 28,000 shp turbine and a double reduction tandem articulated deSchelde gearbox.
Built to the same specifications as Shell "M" Class by HDW.
A bloody nightmare down below. Completed a major drydock and maintenance period in Jurong and departed in worse condition than on arrival. As a newly minted 5/E I could not believe such a thing could happen and I decided it would never happen when I was 2/E or C/E. Needless to say my strike rate was only about 50/50, perhaps a wee bit better.
Steam Ships: dontcha just luv em.
you forgot the steam f.d fans
Old 30th July 2018, 07:34

No I did not!
I well remember being at anchor off Cochin, now Kochi, for about 4 days trying to repair said FD Fan.
At least the big diesel (MAK of MAN) kept the lights on, nowhere near as troublesome as the Hedemorra Pielstick on the Denmark.

I've posted something similar on some other Website as I remember mentioning the ever patient Master, John Campbell, who had been on even more troublesome Texaco and Caltex ships.
Old 30th July 2018, 12:34
Active: 1970 - 1980

No idea what a Shell L class is/was, the tanker I was on was the AMPTC Al Rafidain, probably had the worst boiler ignition system ever devised, with the steam FD you got about three attempts to relight before you ran out of steam and you were dead in the water until you got the half boiler down to half a glass and then tried to get a fire in that, usually many multiple attempts, no wonder people resorted to flaming torches.
The old brick lined boilers were a doddle to fire up by comparison flashing off the hot brickwork would be successful even after several minutes of loss of flame. Never seen a boiler gas side explosion on old manual boilers, fully automated boilers thats another story but not by my hand.
IanB
Old 3rd August 2018, 20:03

Quote:
IanB
Still think the Kawasaki plant on the Spanish class was the best, cant recall what the Jap class had but was definitely a close 2nd.....
Old 4th August 2018, 09:55

Ah, the Hokushin logger. But two proper boilers anyway. Do I remember there were remote pressure gauges for each outside the smokeroom?
Old 4th August 2018, 11:45

Quote:
Ah, the Hokushin logger. But two proper boilers anyway. Do I remember there were remote pressure gauges for each outside the smokeroom?
ahhhhhhh the famous on duty panel.... yip 2 good kettles, parallel steaming mode, simple change over panel up top in front of the firing platform.
Old 4th August 2018, 15:21

Quote:
I could go on for ages but nobody wants to listen.
IanB
Ian you underestimate yourself, whilst I do not hang on to every word I am more than interested in your comments. Cheers, ES.

PS. Far more interesting than Varley.

Last edited by Engine Serang; 4th August 2018 at 15:22.. Reason: Insult added.
Old 4th August 2018, 19:45

Yes please Ian more, more. Anything to stop E-S posting. Mind you I always read a couple of his before I go to sleep. Trouble is sometimes I drop off at the keyboard.
Old 4th August 2018, 23:26
Spongebob
Active: 1957 - 1961

I read that Princess Cruises is building two new cruise liners to be fuelled with CNG.
How does this option fit in with the trends ?
It worked well with CNG versus petrol in motor cars from the maintenance angle but a bit more complicated in bigships

Bob
Old 6th August 2018, 06:15

Quote:
Yes please Ian more, more. Anything to stop E-S posting. Mind you I always read a couple of his before I go to sleep. Trouble is sometimes I drop off at the keyboard.
Harsh or bland? That is the question.
Old 6th August 2018, 13:17

Never harsh, E-S. Heaven forfend! Ribbing not knifing.