Facebook site for Eds. - Ships Nostalgia
16:56

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Facebook site for Eds.

User Tag List

Old 26th September 2018, 06:31
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Navigation
Active: 1957 - 1967

Facebook site for Eds.

Just in case you are not all aware, there is an extremely active site with pictures being posted, continually, from 'Sea' magazines of the 50s and 60s.

Whilst this is in no way a Newsletter ~ that, sadly, crossed the bar with my dear old mate DB ~ it does, happily, show there are a few of us still around.

Thought this would be of particular interest to you John (Rogers) with reference to our 'e' conversations on this subject.

One thing is clearly apparent on the site, that being that with the odd exceptions ~ Mike Kelly, Rodney Matthews and Mike Thurman to name three ~ the 'memories' posted are from a younger bunch relating to the twilight years through to the demise.

Last edited by Graham the pipe; 26th September 2018 at 06:36..
Old 26th September 2018, 13:45
Department: Purser
Active: 1950 - 1960

Hello Graham, Could you name the site please. Thanks Bob
Old 26th September 2018, 15:35

This should connect you Bob.

Elder Dempster Lines of Liverpool Public Group | Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/groups/156436008190875/

Elder Dempster Lines of Liverpool has 595 members.
Old 3rd October 2018, 21:13

Thanks Graham, I have now been enrolled as a member, only trouble is all there appears to be is a rolling film, with occasionally pictures of ships posted and the occasional comments from people I`ve never heard of, but there doesn`t seem to be any discussion on prolonged subjects.I did contribute to the chap who asked if any body had an elephant table, in the affirmative and I did make my views known to a chap called Dave Cave from the Indefatigable training ship, alongside the Menai straits in N.Wales about complete Brexit rather than the half in/half out version Mrs May is offering. I also suspect you are limited in the number of characters your message contains
Old 4th October 2018, 00:59

Hi Roger.

Yes, agree with your observations; the only one that I would make is that it needs someone, ideally 'in the middle' twixt the oldest Elder and the youngest to take command and create that essential 'bridge' twixt the two.

I'd happily do it myself but that would not be a good idea for health reasons. I could not maintain the essential continuous 'attention' this necessitates and the end result would be confusion and not building from a shaky threshold into a viable DB alternative/replacement.

Some 'facts' are we still have many '50s lads and a sprinkling of '40s but can't confirm they are positively still with us ~ Norman Richardson and Brian MacManus to name two ~ but the Facebook site is almost 100% '70's through to 'the end' as far as I can see.

Will be interested to hear your thoughts/suggestions Roger.

Kindest to you and yours.

GGG
Old 4th October 2018, 21:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham the pipe View Post
Hi Roger.

Yes, agree with your observations; the only one that I would make is that it needs someone, ideally 'in the middle' twixt the oldest Elder and the youngest to take command and create that essential 'bridge' twixt the two.

I'd happily do it myself but that would not be a good idea for health reasons. I could not maintain the essential continuous 'attention' this necessitates and the end result would be confusion and not building from a shaky threshold into a viable DB alternative/replacement.

Some 'facts' are we still have many '50s lads and a sprinkling of '40s but can't confirm they are positively still with us ~ Norman Richardson and Brian MacManus to name two ~ but the Facebook site is almost 100% '70's through to 'the end' as far as I can see.

Will be interested to hear your thoughts/suggestions Roger.

Kindest to you and yours.

GGG
Hi GGG (forgotten what that`s for, I know it is a substitute for GTP, could it be Great Grandad Graham?)
Anyway can`t disagree with your observations, to do anything we do need somebody in the "middle", I`m pretty antique in years, although not spirit and still pretty fit and play golf twice a week, but familywise am at the "end of the twig" in other words "he`s next".
Saw you entered the entertainment re: the sale of the 40 magazines - do you know I was 10 years in Elders and never knew they were published - were they a mail boat thing?
You mention Brian McManus, glad to hear he is still with us, He was mate of the Swedru where I was just promoted Purser and on my last trip to sea Sailed Liverpool 15/2/62 paid off Avonmouth 27/4/62.
Are you still in touch with the mob from the Obuasi, I know we had correspondence when you were organising a "do"
Kind regards Roger
Old 5th October 2018, 14:13

Yes 'Spot On' with the decoding. GSS '40 (YOB) No, not Yob, or maybe I was? Year Of Birth ~ '58 when started puffin the 'P' that through to 20/3/'12 when gave up, overnight and became GxP that through to '17 when became a great granddad for the first time. Presume the 'next' will be CTB (Crossed The Bar) when I join the P E O E up the old creeks, Niger or otherwise.
Old 5th October 2018, 15:05

Hi Roger.

The previous post is brief because I'd typed you a lengthy one then lost the whole lot because I hadn't finished in one go, went back all lost. So will make this brief so can 'finish and send'.

Names ~ your dept ~ who I'm still in touch with John Edge and Mike (Andrew) Salt. Mine 'many'. Obuasi crowd: Rodney Matthews was 2/0 on her rest all deck cadets viz Roger Mackrell, Dave Porter, Dave Gill, Mike Sterry, Mike Kelly, Richard Coyne to name but six. Other names John Woodend from earlier O and retired to S Africa.

Have a great weekend. Kindest you and yours GGG
Old 7th October 2018, 15:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham the pipe View Post
Hi Roger.

The previous post is brief because I'd typed you a lengthy one then lost the whole lot because I hadn't finished in one go, went back all lost. So will make this brief so can 'finish and send'.

Names ~ your dept ~ who I'm still in touch with John Edge and Mike (Andrew) Salt. Mine 'many'. Obuasi crowd: Rodney Matthews was 2/0 on her rest all deck cadets viz Roger Mackrell, Dave Porter, Dave Gill, Mike Sterry, Mike Kelly, Richard Coyne to name but six. Other names John Woodend from earlier O and retired to S Africa.

Have a great weekend. Kindest you and yours GGG
Hi GGG,
I know John Edge (J.D.W.Edge) from HMS Conway, didn`t know he had joined Elders till DB found me on SN and he sent me the EofE magazine.
Rodney Matthews sailed with me on the "Cambray", he must have been an Apprentice then, we both have a picture of her tied up against a silo in Aarhuis.
Did you ever come across "Icky" Pierce (orPearce) I sailed with him and he was on the Conway with me too.?
Weekend fine hope same with you Roger Turner

Last edited by Roger Turner; 7th October 2018 at 15:42..