Galileo - Ships Nostalgia
21:40

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Galileo

User Tag List

Old 1st December 2018, 17:07
Varley Varley is offline   SN Supporter
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Active: 1971 - 2011

Galileo

When very kindly interrupting his Christmas holiday two years ago to answer my teasing of him by EMAIL (for on R4 seemingly joining the pro-GPS anti-celestial navigation lobby here on SN) the Astronomer Royal added that Brexit threatened our secure access to Galileo.

So even with two years warning HMG manages not to avoid it.

I wonder what tariff will be set for the sextant and chronometer.
Old 5th December 2018, 22:29
Department: Deck
Active: 1956 - 1960

Maybe I am nieve but apart from the amount of money we have contributed why even bother with a system that is way behind being switched on.
We have relied on GPS for some time and it appears to do what it says on the tin. I accept we are at the whims of the US but in the present situation I think it would be safer to go with them. We would also save on the costs of updating equipment in use at present.
I understand that jobs are at risk and would like to think the efforts could go elsewhere.

Last edited by Davie M; 5th December 2018 at 22:33..
Old 5th December 2018, 23:31
Department: Engineering

In the present situation I'd much prefer not be reliant on a U.S. Government controlled system, which has a history of being made unavailable. Difficult to overstate that really
In the fullness of time
A garden to nurture and protect
Old 6th December 2018, 09:56

Theb accuracy of a satellite system is primarily to guide cruise missiles. I don't deny its usefulness in the commercial world (dynamic positioning and similar applications in which the accuracy is paramount (often actually repeatability rather than the accuracy but I digress). Were it not for the military need then it would seem to be the affordable salvage position to establish a terrestrial system for simple prudent sailors to navigate by as with the hyperbolic systems of 'old'.
Old 6th December 2018, 12:02

Galileo's Daughter was a Nun who had faith in the Lord; and was of enormous help to Galileo himself. I read a book of that name ("Galileo's Daughter") some time ago, relating his (Galileo's) battle with the Vatican for recognition of the truth as he saw it to be.

Perhaps his Daughter could help now?
Old 6th December 2018, 13:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varley View Post
Theb accuracy of a satellite system is primarily to guide cruise missiles. I don't deny its usefulness in the commercial world (dynamic positioning and similar applications in which the accuracy is paramount (often actually repeatability rather than the accuracy but I digress). Were it not for the military need then it would seem to be the affordable salvage position to establish a terrestrial system for simple prudent sailors to navigate by as with the hyperbolic systems of 'old'.
Seems a reasonable solution.
Davie
Old 6th December 2018, 13:46

I can't really claim that as mine. There has been talk around that relying soley on satellite technology might fall foul of a solar storm or human mischief. eLoran got off the ground but has since, if not come down again is not flying very high.
Old 6th December 2018, 17:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varley View Post
I can't really claim that as mine. There has been talk around that relying soley on satellite technology might fall foul of a solar storm or human mischief. eLoran got off the ground but has since, if not come down again is not flying very high.
Ah,human mischief. As the major players have their own systems it is not beyond ken it would be a target during any future confrontations.
Old 6th December 2018, 19:39
Department: Engineering
Active: 1970 - Present

On all ships I've been involved with recently there were two means of navigation, GPS and looking out the window. And in truth not half enough of the latter.
Old 7th December 2018, 16:45
Department: Navigation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine Serang View Post
On all ships I've been involved with recently there were two means of navigation, GPS and looking out the window. And in truth not half enough of the latter.
This also applies to the conductors of motor cars. I am currently changing cars after last doing so only a few months ago. The one I am getting rid of has so many little tricks and settings, I find that time to look out of the window can only be acquired by carrying a co-driver. I am going for Ockham's version of the car.