Another new scamming technuique - Ships Nostalgia
15:03

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Another new scamming technuique

User Tag List

Old 5th December 2018, 16:45
ART6 ART6 is offline   SN Supporter
Super Moderator
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1958 - 1970

Another new scamming technuique

At nine o'clock this morning I received a call on my mobile, purportedly from Irish Revenue and Customs, warning me that they were instituting proceedings against me for false tax declarations. I was advised to call a Dublin number that I was given in order to discuss this matter.
OK. Three things wrong here to start with. The Irish revenue is the Revenue Commissioners, not the "Irish Revenue and Customs", then I have a tax clearance certificate from the Revenue stating that my tax affairs are in order, and the Revenue tax office doesn't open until 09.30.
I called the Dublin number, which just happened to be the same one upon which I was called, and I spoke to a gentleman with an Indian accent (something of a surprise, since in all my years of dealing with the Revenue I have never spoken with anyone who had other than an Irish accent). I explained that my tax affairs are in order, so why this prosecution? "No. It is not a prosecution as yet. You are entitled to a tax refund of €592, but you must notify us that you accept it."
"But I am not due for any tax refund from my latest accounts."
"It is cumulative. Refunds that you are due over a number of years. All you must do is to provide us with your business credit or debit card details so that we can lodge the money into your account."
"Right so: if I don't accept a refund from Revenue I could be prosecuted? That just has to be a new development! In any case, if you are indeed from the Revenue Commissioners, since you already have my bank details on file and you have been using them for years you hardly need them again? Whatever, I have no intention of giving you credit or debit card details over the 'phone!"

CLICK. Call terminated

I would guess that this is not another scam particular to Ireland given the accent of the scammer. Oh well, I suppose that I am now down €592. Pity. I could have used that to pay my next electricity bill! I suppose I will just have to wait for the next Nigerian prince who wants to pay me a few millions for the use of my bank account.

This business of scam phone calls and Internet malware is getting out of control. I might bin my mobile phone, cancel my ISP service, disconnect my landline, and build a Donald Trump wall around my house to keep away all these people who just happen to be doing some tarmacking on a few driveways in the area and wondered if I might be interested…? Messages attached to the legs of pigeons seem attractive as they are not open to Trojans (too heavy) or viruses (other than, perhaps, fowl pest), or malware given that all the birds around me s**t on my car and distribute the malware upon it where it can be washed off.

It seems that nowadays everyone has to be wide awake to the criminal fraternity that is inventing new scams, malware, blackmail and ransomeware almost every day.
Old 5th December 2018, 16:52
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1962 - 1979

Quote:
Originally Posted by ART6 View Post
At nine o'clock this morning I received a call on my mobile, purportedly from Irish Revenue and Customs, warning me that they were instituting proceedings against me for false tax declarations. I was advised to call a Dublin number that I was given in order to discuss this matter.
OK. Three things wrong here to start with. The Irish revenue is the Revenue Commissioners, not the "Irish Revenue and Customs", then I have a tax clearance certificate from the Revenue stating that my tax affairs are in order, and the Revenue tax office doesn't open until 09.30.
I called the Dublin number, which just happened to be the same one upon which I was called, and I spoke to a gentleman with an Indian accent (something of a surprise, since in all my years of dealing with the Revenue I have never spoken with anyone who had other than an Irish accent). I explained that my tax affairs are in order, so why this prosecution? "No. It is not a prosecution as yet. You are entitled to a tax refund of €592, but you must notify us that you accept it."
"But I am not due for any tax refund from my latest accounts."
"It is cumulative. Refunds that you are due over a number of years. All you must do is to provide us with your business credit or debit card details so that we can lodge the money into your account."
"Right so: if I don't accept a refund from Revenue I could be prosecuted? That just has to be a new development! In any case, if you are indeed from the Revenue Commissioners, since you already have my bank details on file and you have been using them for years you hardly need them again? Whatever, I have no intention of giving you credit or debit card details over the 'phone!"

CLICK. Call terminated

I would guess that this is not another scam particular to Ireland given the accent of the scammer. Oh well, I suppose that I am now down €592. Pity. I could have used that to pay my next electricity bill! I suppose I will just have to wait for the next Nigerian prince who wants to pay me a few millions for the use of my bank account.

This business of scam phone calls and Internet malware is getting out of control. I might bin my mobile phone, cancel my ISP service, disconnect my landline, and build a Donald Trump wall around my house to keep away all these people who just happen to be doing some tarmacking on a few driveways in the area and wondered if I might be interested…? Messages attached to the legs of pigeons seem attractive as they are not open to Trojans (too heavy) or viruses (other than, perhaps, fowl pest), or malware given that all the birds around me s**t on my car and distribute the malware upon it where it can be washed off.

It seems that nowadays everyone has to be wide awake to the criminal fraternity that is inventing new scams, malware, blackmail and ransomeware almost every day.
I would not call back any number not recognised, ( I do checks online of any telephone numbers that appear on my ‘phones,)might be one of those £9 a minute services!
Old 5th December 2018, 17:18
Department: Navigation

I don't do anything about calls like that except put the phone down. They are nearly the only calls I get now, I don't want to start telling them my life story only to hear them trying to invent a reason to terminate the call.
Old 5th December 2018, 21:11

I once got a blackmail letter, ostensibly from the Norwegian police. The pictorial quality was quite good, with a picture of the police headquarters i Oslo, nice layout, perfect language. But strangely "the Norwegian police" wanted my "fine" to be paid into an account in Poland..
Old 5th December 2018, 22:35
Organisation: Maritime Enthusiast
Active: 1970 - 1987

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer John View Post
I don't do anything about calls like that except put the phone down. They are nearly the only calls I get now, I don't want to start telling them my life story only to hear them trying to invent a reason to terminate the call.
I had one of those from "Microsoft Security." I told the bloke he wasn't and put the 'phone down. The cheeky beggar called me straight back, saying there had been a problem on the line and he had been cut off. I explained slowly, very loudly, in words of one syllable, that I had put the 'phone down.

He hasn't phoned back since.
Old 5th December 2018, 22:38
Active: 1959 - 1979

My location
Hmrc

I got a similar call from someone claiming to be officer ?????????? of HM she left a message on my voicemail revenue and customs. As I never answer calls on my mobile unless I know who they are from she left a message on my voicemail with a number to call threatening all kinds of legal consequences. I contacted HMRC fraud line giving them the phone number and got a quick reply from them.
Old 6th December 2018, 02:46
Department: Engineering

My mother was getting so many of these calls

Got one of these fellahs

https://www.truecall.co.uk

Have to admit it is ace, not one scam call has made it through since I bought it. Needs a bit of setting up and is not exactly cheap but I can vouch for its effectiveness
In the fullness of time
A garden to nurture and protect