Who sailed with Watts watts 1956-1963 - Page 2 - Ships Nostalgia
17:02

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Who sailed with Watts watts 1956-1963

User Tag List

Old 18th January 2012, 19:48

Watts watts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stores View Post
HI , I WAS ON THE WANSTEAD 60/ 61 WE JOINED IN ANTWERP, PORTUGAL, SPAIN,ITALY, GREECE, TURKEY, SYRIA, CANADA AND USA, WAS U ON HER THEN, I WAS ENGINE ROOM DEPT, U SAILED ON THE CEUTA, ? WAS SHE OWNED BY WATTS WATTS, ? IF SO HAVE U ANY DETAILS OF HER AM DOING A HISTORY OF WATTS WATTS BUT THAT SHIP IS NEW TO \ME, BEST WISHES, TONY WILDING.
Hello Tony,
I believe that I may have been the first Watts Watts apprentice to sail on Gulf tankers who were managed by them under a different company name (Afran Bahamas). The cargo ships were better but tanker experience was useful. I was on her for seven months running from the Gulf to Europe. Cheers, John.
Old 18th January 2012, 20:01
stores stores is offline   SN Supporter
STORES

Re Wendover

HI JOHN, I HAVE OVER 250 PHOTOS OF WATTS WATTS SHIPS INCLUDING THE GULF TANKERS, IF U NEED ANY LET\ ME KNOW, MY BROTHER WAS ON, WANSTEAD, PORT WANSTEAD, WOOLWICH, AND MANY OF THE TANKERS, HIS NAME PAUL JARVIS , WAS COOK ON THE TANKERS, I WAS ON WANSTEAD, AM VERY INTERESTED TO KNOW MORE ABOUT THE CEUTA, ANY PHOTOS ? HIS FRIEND NEIL GRANT WAS SECOND COOK ON THE TANKERS. REGARDS. TONY.
Old 19th January 2012, 08:14
King Ratt

My location
Welcome, Hoverlover, to the big, wide, wonderful world of SN. Tried to phone you yesterday afternoon having just supped a pint with Swan International. Just after that I found your postings re Watts Yachts.
Check my photo input, you might find yourself in there.

R
Old 19th January 2012, 10:20
Catering 1958 - 2007
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1958 - 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by dom View Post
did a trip on the Windsor Jan 58 April 60,Capt Mudd, the only other name that comes to mind is ch stwd,Zimmerman,greaser wanted to kill him for something or other,New york we lost an AB,wanted to fight some one in an irish pub,turned out it was a offduty policeman,from what i remember it went downhill fast from there,still happy days,Charlie if your out there he asked me and i refused
Richard T Mudd joined Oregon SS from Watts Watts, sailed with him on the Lutetian.
Old 19th January 2012, 20:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoverlover View Post
Hello,
I sailed with Watts Watts from 1960 to 1963. My name is John McGrath and I have nothing but good memories for the fine ships and people I worked with. Cheers, John.
Hi John, I thought you were heading off to exotic places to retire? Still in Vancouver I see. Bst.Rgds. Colin Mclean
Old 23rd January 2012, 13:31

dom

any truth in the story about apprentices not being allowed up the funnel because one apprentice fell down the main engine exhaust
Old 24th January 2012, 00:38

watts watts apprentices

Was apprentice with Saint Line 1959 then transferred to the Gulf Scott to finish my time.

Sailed as 3rd Mate Wokingham 1964, then a time on Port Wimbledon
with Capt Jackson and Pierce.

Still in touch with Jonathan Eastland who was apprentice on the Port Wimbledon.

Still working and am a river pilot in London also Senior Warden for the Honourable Company of Master Mariners.

Great times which will never return!
Old 30th January 2012, 14:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by richensj View Post
Hi,
I served my apprentice-ship with Watts Watts and stayed until reaching to be 2nd Mate.I served on the SS Twickenham,MV Greenwich,MVWindsor MV Wokingham.MV Woodford,Gulf Ras Al Aird and MV Wimbledon.
I would like to chat with any former sea mates if any are still alive.
My name is Jeff Richens who when articalled was called "Bubbles".
I served my time with Watts Watts from aug 1960 to nov 63 sailing on Port Wanstead,Wanstead,Willesden (new one)Wokingham,Laid up on Windsor winter 62/63,Weybridge,feb63-Nov 63 and then back again as 3rd mate apr-jul 64,aug-dec 64 and last my voyage jan65 -july 66 (18 months),my name is Bob Baker from Sully,just outside Cardiff,known as "Taff" becuase I was the only welshman sometimes.Thoroughly enjoyed my time met some great blokes,you had to work and play hard with some of the crews we had.

Last edited by bob baker; 30th January 2012 at 14:12..
Old 30th January 2012, 18:50
Department: Engineering
Active: 1960 - 1982

Quote:
Originally Posted by richensj View Post
Hi,
I served my apprentice-ship with Watts Watts and stayed until reaching to be 2nd Mate.I served on the SS Twickenham,MV Greenwich,MVWindsor MV Wokingham.MV Woodford,Gulf Ras Al Aird and MV Wimbledon.
I would like to chat with any former sea mates if any are still alive.
My name is Jeff Richens who when articalled was called "Bubbles".
Hi Jeff ! gtlad to say i am one of the" still alive ones" .I started at sea as junior eng on the Woodford It was one of the best ships i have ever been on.thatwas1960was also on the woolwich Weybridge windsor and Wimbledon.,before moving to Denholms that was aug 64
Old 30th January 2012, 19:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclean View Post
Hi John, I thought you were heading off to exotic places to retire? Still in Vancouver I see. Bst.Rgds. Colin Mclean
Hi john I was a j/e when i sailed with you but cant remember which ship Iremember throwing you over my shoulder in the officers lounge because you were annoying me think it may have been the Woodford or Weybridge Iam Jim Taylor
Old 30th January 2012, 20:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel3ladcup View Post
Hi john I was a j/e when i sailed with you but cant remember which ship Iremember throwing you over my shoulder in the officers lounge because you were annoying me think it may have been the Woodford or Weybridge Iam Jim Taylor
Yes..! I do remember you,Jim. It must have been the Woodford. Good days. Are you still in UK and has life treated you well..? Watts was a good start and life has been good to me. Thanks for not chucking me overboard as I am sure I deserved it..! John.
Old 31st January 2012, 14:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoverlover View Post
Yes..! I do remember you,Jim. It must have been the Woodford. Good days. Are you still in UK and has life treated you well..? Watts was a good start and life has been good to me. Thanks for not chucking me overboard as I am sure I deserved it..! John.
Hi John am well and truly retired now (72) left MN 1982 .Bought myself a pub and ran that for 18 yrs sold it and finished up .I am married with two grown up children and i am a grandad to .My son works in the European Commission in Brussels .so spend a lot of time over there,also travel a lot just back from aussie .Have you been in touch with anyone else on there. regards Jim
Old 31st January 2012, 15:58
Department: Deck
Active: 1960 - 1964

I joined the Wendover as an app. in Liverpool in 1963 and stayed with her until March 1984. I was sent home on leave and then got a letter telling me that apps were no longer required and my indentures were to be transferred to Buries Marks. I greatly enjoyed my time on the Wendover would love to hear from any of my fellow apps.
I'm Ben Gomperts and Tony, Hector and Sandy sailed with me.
Old 21st April 2012, 16:58
Department: Navigation
Active: 1953 - 1957

hi I am alastair Kerr I sailed on the Beaconsfield ,Willesden,the Windsor and also the Twickenham as a cadet 1953-1957 when I retired because it was discovered that I was colour blind they all great ships
Old 6th August 2012, 18:59

I joined the "Woodford", in May 62 ,Suez out Panama home,a trip to remember,the Skipper was Captain Cox,I remember the 1st Mate was very Young.I still cannot believe it was 50yrs ago though.

Last edited by ray morgan; 6th August 2012 at 20:36.. Reason: added on.
Old 9th August 2012, 15:11
Department: Deck
Active: 1955 - 1960

watts watts

joined the greenwich in dec 55 in rotterdam. trip to the states, aus and nz, back to the states and canada. was deck boy until we reached nz, so many jumped ship, was promoted to a/stw for trip home. ( just found that notation in d/b) paid off in avonmouth end june 56. good trip.
Old 15th August 2012, 21:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob baker View Post
I served my time with Watts Watts from aug 1960 to nov 63 sailing on Port Wanstead,Wanstead,Willesden (new one)Wokingham,Laid up on Windsor winter 62/63,Weybridge,feb63-Nov 63 and then back again as 3rd mate apr-jul 64,aug-dec 64 and last my voyage jan65 -july 66 (18 months),my name is Bob Baker from Sully,just outside Cardiff,known as "Taff" becuase I was the only welshman sometimes.Thoroughly enjoyed my time met some great blokes,you had to work and play hard with some of the crews we had.
Bob
I was on the Weybridge during your first trip as 3rd mate. As I remember you'd only been married a very short time befor we sailed on the 18 month stint. I was a junior eng at the time. Happy days.
Tony Veale.
Old 30th October 2012, 18:14
Active: 1956 - 1968

Hi, I was on the Ragusa, 3rd Eng, 2 voyages, great ship, photo in my pictures, paid off in Rotterdam '63. The 2nd and myself had a good taste of Dutch ale, memory escaped me until I woke up in Dover. That Dutch beer is really good stuff.
Rob
Old 19th March 2019, 12:46
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1951 - 1962

Hi, Anyone on the Wokingham August '56 to July '57 - as an R/O one moved around many ships frequently but the Wokingham was the very best of them. Still stands out in my memory. Runs were Australia, India, Mozambique and the U.S.
Great days - very thankful of that life.
Bob